Canon officially announces the C700 Full Frame

Jan 22, 2012
cpreston said:
Graphic.Artifacts said:
As far as I can tell Canon makes very nice cameras that seem to meet the needs of people who actually shoot video but they are not very good at making products that meet the needs of people who like to talk about shooting video on internet forums. But maybe I'm missing something.

I would say that Canon makes video cameras for people in the business of trying to make a living with the camera. Their big gaping hole is the lack of 4K 60p, not because it is necessarily needed for any logistical reason, but because most producers feel they need it. Due to this, the Sony FS7 has overtaken the Canon C300 II. The C100 is a great work horse in its market. The C700 is still trying to find its market, which may never happen. Comparisons to DSLR's are made by people who aren't in the market for a cinema camera in the first place.

??? What logical reason does one need to shoot slow motion??

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
cpreston said:
Graphic.Artifacts said:
As far as I can tell Canon makes very nice cameras that seem to meet the needs of people who actually shoot video but they are not very good at making products that meet the needs of people who like to talk about shooting video on internet forums. But maybe I'm missing something.

I would say that Canon makes video cameras for people in the business of trying to make a living with the camera. Their big gaping hole is the lack of 4K 60p, not because it is necessarily needed for any logistical reason, but because most producers feel they need it. Due to this, the Sony FS7 has overtaken the Canon C300 II. The C100 is a great work horse in its market. The C700 is still trying to find its market, which may never happen. Comparisons to DSLR's are made by people who aren't in the market for a cinema camera in the first place.
People (mostly those on forums) really need to separate the DSLR video market from the cine camera market. Two different markets. One aimed at the budget concious filmmaker/vlogger and the other for serious professional filmmakers. Speaking of big gaping holes, why haven't Canon added focus peaking and zebras to their DSLR's yet? Also the lack of a clean HDMI output (is the 5DIII really the only DSLR with one?) is baffling. Serious filmmakers (without the cine cam budget) are much better served elsewhere. Heck, even a secondhand Blackmagic 4k Production Camera and a decent set of lights (all good filmmakers should have good lighting anyway) is a better option than a Canon DSLR for video. You get the correct codecs for broadcast quality video for starters.

Upvote 0
sanj said:
cpreston said:
Graphic.Artifacts said:

??? What logical reason does one need to shoot slow motion??

"Logistical". You can shoot slow motion on the C300II, just not in 4K. Most commercial content is not being delivered in 4K and most viewers are not going to be able to view the difference between 2K at slow motion and 4K at standard frame rates. It is possible to work around the 4K 60p issue if you are stuck only using a c300 II.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
cpreston said:
Graphic.Artifacts said:

Overtaken the C300 line? No. Not here anyway.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34315.0

In my market on the east coast doing corporate work, I see far more FS7's than C300 II's. This is almost entirely due to the price difference and the 4k 60p. A few people also prefer the ergonomics. Personally, I find the FS7 very frustrating after coming from a C300 II. The controls, recording formats, and viewing options feel very limited. If I was to shoot a narrative, I would go with the C300 II every time. It seems that the C300 II is more popular on the west coast.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Bernard said:
cpreston said:
I would say that Canon makes video cameras for people in the business of trying to make a living with the camera. Their big gaping hole is the lack of 4K 60p, not because it is necessarily needed for any logistical reason, but because most producers feel they need it.

4K60P over-crank is a useful thing. You can use it to stabilize hand-held inserts and cutaways, as well as other MOS shots. I wish Canon would offer it, but it's not a deal-breaker in most cases. It just requires some extra planning so that you have an over-crank-capable camera around when you need it.

C200 and 1dxii both do 4k60p. It is useful on occasion for some people, but it really depends what you're shooting.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Lots of people don't like the look of video shot with shorter shutter speeds. At higher frame rates, shutter speeds are naturally faster. If you output 60fps footage to 30fps, it can still look like it was shot with too fast a shutter speed, depending upon motion in the scene. Some blur can make the action look more natural.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
stevelee said:
Lots of people don't like the look of video shot with shorter shutter speeds. At higher frame rates, shutter speeds are naturally faster. If you output 60fps footage to 30fps, it can still look like it was shot with too fast a shutter speed, depending upon motion in the scene. Some blur can make the action look more natural.

Depending on the shoot, I often shoot 60p with a 1/60 shutter. It makes it look more cinematic with more motion blur. 60, 90 and 120 are all exceptable shutter speeds to shoot with when shooting 60p. Similar to The Hobbit being filmed at 48fps with a 72 shutter. All divisable by 12, 24 and 48. 180 degree shutter minus 24 shutter steps, which divides evenly with 48fps. 24x3 = 72.

Upvote 0
I had considered adding an FS7 at one point due to it's high frame rate capabilities. However, as with many things Sony, the specs seemed to be a little bit "aspirational". I couldn't find anybody who seemed to be having much success using it above 120 FPS. Once I had the 1DX II, which also shoots (admittedly soft) 1080P 120fps, there didn't seem to be much point. By all accounts the FS7 is an excellent camera but if I had to choose between DPAF on the Canon C300 II and 60P on the FS7 I'd go with the DPAF every time.

Upvote 0