Canon officially announces the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Anyone know whether or not it has a built-in flange for Canon macro flashes? The EF 100 and 180 macros do not, but the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens has a flange.
It looks like you need the macro adapter ring for that, I have them for the 100L and 180L already. I personally haven't noticed any vignetting when using it wide open with the ring mounted.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Or get the EF 100mm L. Great value and can be found relatively cheap used.
Yes, one could do that. No argument. But this thread is about a new lens, not a used model that is heavier—especially with the required EF>RF adapter—and that lacks advanced features that the new lens under discussion here has.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes, one could do that. No argument. But this thread is about a new lens, not a used model that is heavier—especially with the required EF>RF adapter—and that lacks advanced features that the new lens under discussion here has.

But it's a cheap L-lens for sure. L comes with a cost, but I was expecting it to be at the price range around $2500 so I'm happy that it's this cheap.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
While I'm not going to be one pre-ordering the RF 100mm F/2.8L, it's fun knowing that I will eventually own this lens, at some point. I had been strongly considering the EF 100mm F/2.8L to get back into some macro work, and slightly as a wost-case back-up to my 70-200 2.8, since my lens line-up is only really missing a macro lens and a big white at this point. At this price point, there's no reason I won't eventually pick one up though, and I'm sure a lot of photographers will end up in the same boat.

Upvote 0
Include the EF > RF adapter in the EF weight. Is it still heavier? Very close to the same, I would guess. A bit longer, however.

RF 100mm 148mm (5.83″) - 730 g (1.61 lb)
EF 100mm 123mm (4.84″) - 625 g (1.38 lb)
RF/EF Adapter 71.2 x 24 mm (2.8 x 0.9") - 110g (3.88oz)

So the EF 100mm with adapter attached is 1mm shorter than the RF 100mm, but 5g "heavier"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
That's strange. It got 2 more glass than the EF version. I guess time will tell. I do not think the EF version will be superior the RF version.
I checked the Canon China web site and it says “thanks to the RF mount lens design, the lens has no special glass or coating (optics) but identical high optical performance to the EF 100L”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I checked the Canon China web site and it says “thanks to the RF mount lens design, the lens has no special glass or coating (optics) but identical high optical performance to the EF 100L”.
Identical optical performance suits me just fine; there isn't a lot of room for optical improvement.

Upvote 0