Canon officially announces the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Thank you for recognizing that different users with different examples of a piece of gear and different working techniques may see different results. As for using the lens in a manner that I would not do in the real world just to prove or disprove your point, that makes no sense to me; I’m just a lowly macrophotograper who photographs mainly small arthropods and small wildflowers for a few scientific databases. In every instance, once my identification of the genus and species is confirmed, my photos have been marked “Research Grade.” Never has been one been marked as unacceptable due to some sort of distortion or aberration.

Leptoglossus oppositus

I've checked out your work on your Flickr and the Astro. photography page. You got amazing skills & have done an amazing work.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I've checked out your work on your Flickr and the Astro. photography page. You got amazing skills & have done an amazing work.
Now, now. Settle down. No need to exaggerate. I just muddle along and when the viewfinder looks right, I press that little button.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
Could someone please point me to an on-line, high-res photo where this alleged problem is evident? Thanks!

The high-relief portions of the coin have a pink cast, and the low have a green cast. I could correct that by using a smaller aperture, but at this magnification, that starts to introduce softness from diffraction.

NOTE: This isn't the Canon 100mm macro - this is a lens with better long CA performance. It's one of the reasons I don't use the Canon for coin photography.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that the SA changes impact the focus in a HORRIFIC way? The rose in the video is suddenly extremely soft which looks realy ugly to me... I think this could be not so easily achieved in post - but this kind of blurred focus looks realy not desirable for me in any context... also the change in the Bokeh doenst look nice to me in any means...
I had the 135 soft focus that had a similar control for spherical aberration. Despite myself often liking a softer look I felt that the spherical aberration control exaggerated things and made things just look weird rather than good. I also agree that it negatively impacted the bokeh when it was dialed up. one of those things that sounds better on paper than in practice

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Just an FYI update on pre-orders for the new RF 100 macro lens. Was supposed to start shipping y'day, July 8 and Canon's on line store showed small inventory on hand for sale, sold out within a few hours, I might add. I placed my pre-order on Jun 1, the first day you could do so with July 8 shown as anticipated ship date. Well, July 8 has come and gone with no B&H shipment notification, so again, we are looking at delays on getting our gear orders. Point is, a little patience is in order as you cannot rely on anticipated shipping dates in the marketplace, just yet.......I do find it a little undermining that the Canon store can sell a newly released lens when they haven't yet supplied their merchants with same.

Update: B&H has rec'd shipment of RF 100 macro lens, pre-ordered on Jun 1, now fulfilling my order. ETA on my lens is Aug 18. Hooray at last. I guess 10 weeks wait is not too bad for a newly announced lens. The tripod collar ordered at same time, is still back ordered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Several people have received lenses from Adorama and others from local shops. I'm sure some have received from B&H as well. I ordered from B&H on April 14th and am in the same boat as you (though the anticipated date at that time was July 29th and later updated to July 8th).

I suspect more people pre-order from B&H than do Canon USA so not unexpected CUSA would have some in stock while B&H, Adorama and the like will just immediately ship out new inventory for months to come to fill existing preorders. Either way, I know I'll get my lens in due time.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have to admit that I am a little frustrated over this. I have paid in full and not received product, or even a correspondence regarding when this will ship.

I think I am kinda wondering what avenue to follow up on while B&H gets a free loan from me interest free.
That’s not normal. Normally your card is only charged when the item actually arrives in stock.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have to admit that I am a little frustrated over this. I have paid in full and not received product, or even a correspondence regarding when this will ship.

I think I am kinda wondering what avenue to follow up on while B&H gets a free loan from me interest free.
Did the charge just authorize, or did it actually post to your account? Normally, you are charged when the item is prepared for shipment.

I haven't looked closely on B&H preorders (my last one was the 1D X), but we bought a bed back in April with an estimated ship date of July. The vendor authorized the full amount on my CC when I clicked Buy, but the charge never posted (similarly, when you use a CC at a gas station, they authorize a $1 charge when you swipe the card but the full amount later posts, or like a restaurant will authorize the amount of the bill then later the charge including the tip posts). The full amount for the bed posted last week, and I got an email that day to schedule delivery.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020

That’s not normal. Normally your card is only charged when the item actually arrives in stock.
It's normal if you pay with PayPal or ApplePay - but they clearly indicate during checkout that you'll be charged in full at time of purchase. For standard credit card purchase, though, yes it would definitely be odd.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I am very aware of my bank statements, as I am a business owner. I have been charged the 1399$ plus the additional sales tax of the area that I live in, which means that there is over 1,500$ that has been paid in full to B&H. I had kinda paused at being charged, I assumed that meant that they had the lens in stock and was just waiting on the release date to actually sell it and send it off in the mail. (That has been done in the past for some things that I have bought ahead of time like microphones...)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's normal if you pay with PayPal or ApplePay - but they clearly indicate during checkout that you'll be charged in full at time of purchase. For standard credit card purchase, though, yes it would definitely be odd.
Thanks, that's good info.

"We accept payment via Apple Pay, PayPal & PayPal credit. We also accept payment via Google Pay on Android devices and apps only. Payments processed using such apps will be charged immediately (as opposed to when your order ships)."

Moral: it's good to be very aware of your bank statements, but you also need to be aware of the policies of the companies from whom you are making purchases.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Thanks, that's good info.

"We accept payment via Apple Pay, PayPal & PayPal credit. We also accept payment via Google Pay on Android devices and apps only. Payments processed using such apps will be charged immediately (as opposed to when your order ships)."

Moral: it's good to be very aware of your bank statements, but you also need to be aware of the policies of the companies from whom you are making purchases.
Moral of the story is: If you are a large company, communicate with customers. I do not expect emails about ongoings, day to day. BUT, yesterday was the ship date that was appointed by B&H and nothing was sent out. (Canon rumors has put together a post) A customer that has paid, and is not getting teir product should get correspondence regarding the product paid for.

Do you think that is too much to ask?
P.S. how many emails about summer sales, product promotion, SEO optimized searches are currently happening?

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Moral of the story is: If you are a large company, communicate with customers. I do not expect emails about ongoings, day to day. BUT, yesterday was the ship date that was appointed by B&H and nothing was sent out. (Canon rumors has put together a post) A customer that has paid, and is not getting teir product should get correspondence regarding the product paid for.

Do you think that is too much to ask?
P.S. how many emails about summer sales, product promotion, SEO optimized searches are currently happening?
To be fair, B&H indicated that shipments would start on 7/8, and there's no reason to believe that didn't actually happen - you and I just didn't make the cut with whatever stock they received from Canon. They'll fulfill orders in the order taken, regardless if that order was paid in full at time of purchase or not. Hopefully your order (and mine!) will queue up sooner rather than later. Cheers!

Upvote 0