Canon officially announces the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II

I would have thought we’d see some higher frame rates at this price considering some others out there but the full frame part is very nice!
On paper this thing is pretty rad but no 4k120 is pretty lame. I think this will be a great camera but the frame rates like you said is pretty disappointing. This thing with 120,150 and 200 would replace most reds on all natgeo and discovery shows

Upvote 0
Does it have 10 FPS like the 90d? Or did canon cripple this model even below the 90D?!?!

And not even a 32 MP sensor that even APSC cameras get. Canon certainly knows how to drive a business into the ground!

Why? That's a much worse sensor for a video-centric only system. Something like 4K needs around 8MP at most. Having more MP is worse since video formats are defined have have certain resolutions in place. Having a smaller MP allows for better low light and DR.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
16k for no slow motion or 48fps, you can buy a red that’s better equipped. It should be closer to 10-12k.
It does slow motion and you can't buy a Red for that money that you can take out of the box and it shoot video. Add on all the crap that you need to make it work and Red that beats the specs is comfortably more expensive and doesn't have AF, which is a feature more and more video is relying on as it gets better and more reliable.

If my son wanted to work in the movie industry I wouldn't suggest spending any time becoming a focus puller...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They may be related but 1DX sensor is a different resolution and size than the c500 mk2/700ff sensor (5472 × 3648 vs 6062 x 3432 and 36x24 vs 38.1x20.1)
The sensor is pretty much the same spec in pixel pitch as well as DR, they are made very similar. Didn’t know we needed to get into the semantics. I’m going off what a canon rep told me. I’ll give you his number if you want a debate

Upvote 0
It does slow motion and you can't buy a Red for that money that you can take out of the box and it shoot video. Add on all the crap that you need to make it work and Red that beats the specs is comfortably more expensive and doesn't have AF, which is a feature more and more video is relying on as it gets better and more reliable.

If my son wanted to work in the movie industry I wouldn't suggest spending any time becoming a focus puller...
You can outfit a red for the similar cost. No one trusts autofocus fully for video. Red sort of has a auto focus/ one shot and the 500 doesn’t have 4K 120 which is what I was referring to

Upvote 0
Meh! Don't get me wrong this is a DECENT camera (We have 40+ of the both the Global Shutter C700's and C700 FF's and who knows how many C300 Mk2's -- probably up to 60 of them now! -- so I know it's gonna be good!) ....BUT.... they didn't go far enough! When a DCI 8K (8192 by 4320 pixels) combined stills/video camera at 60 fps at 16 bits per colour channel at MF 65mm sensor is coming out soon, you BETTER start putting in some features that users REALLY WANT !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What RED has a FF sensor and comes with battery and charger and a monitor, a handle, full audio and video in/outs interface, grip and trigger etc, (indeed all you need to add is a lens and a memory card) and does FF 4k at 120fps, for $16,000?

More and more people are trusting AF, it depends on your output market, but AF is taking bigger and bigger bites out of the pullers jobs, sure AF will never replace all of them but the C500 II isn't that kind of camera, it is aiming at the market where it is being accepted as a useful asset/feature.

Upvote 0
Because they dont have a lens lineup to support real Cine production in RF mount right now, and no production studio is going to willingly buy an RF mount version of this when their shop is filled with EF-mount lenses.
If I were an independent movie maker using an EOS R with 1.2 85 and 2.0 28-70 I would like to use these lenses on the C500 ii .
And there is another reason what makes RF mount interesting: You can use 99% of all the (D)SLR lenses ever produced - at the moment you do not get a lot of money for FD lenses so I have kept them. They are good for M50 but would be great for 4k full frame because it doesn't need that amount of resolution.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
CFexpress card. I suppose that means that at least one slot in the 1Dx III will be the same. Hoping there will still be one CFast slot in the 1Dx III. Purely selfish. Trying to protect my investment.
Damn the investment, make the slots the same so there is no penalty for using them! And this comes from somebody who just spent $300 on a dock with a CFast reader.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
CFexpress card. I suppose that means that at least one slot in the 1Dx III will be the same. Hoping there will still be one CFast slot in the 1Dx III. Purely selfish. Trying to protect my investment.

Well, there’s your problem. None of this stuff is an investment. You’re buying tools to use. Or if it makes you feel better, assets. Everyone who blurts out the “investment” line just sounds silly. Stop trying to make it sound like you’ve made some grand, genius financial move.

Sorry, don’t mean to bust your stones,. I just get tired of seeing this all over the place on all the forums.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
"For the first time ever with a Canon camera, users are able to change the lens mount themselves without the assistance from a Canon service center. Customers can purchase the EOS C500 Mark II with a standard EF mount and then have the option to purchase either EF-lock or PL mounts. This feature provides users with the creative freedom to pair the camera with the lenses that will provide the desired look for each project they work on."

--> Enter the M5 mk II with its wide-flanged mount that comes standard with an inset M mount, but can be switched out to an R mount. The precedent has been set. Just speculatin' :cool:

Upvote 0