Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Feb 26, 2012
AB
Talys said:
Hmm. Don't know if this is Canon Canada only, but I noticed a pre-order bonus:

http://files.kerrisdalecameras.com/6DMK2_Preorder_Gift.pdf

Order before July 31, and get a free Eos Waterproof Jacket and Kwanon Long Sleeve T-Shirt. The jacket actually looks pretty nice.

you're getting soaked for a mediocre camera, the least they can do is provide a waterproof jacket. :)

Upvote 0
I know i am talking bad about canon often in this forum .. I just can't help myself .. sorry guys
So if you're a canon fanboy just skip this post .. don't want to offend you.

I am not getting this one for sure .. no real improvement for me in comparison to the existing 6D ... AF-Spread is a joke, still no 2nd SD Card, no 4k .. All important features in 2017 for a semi professional camera ..
Nikons D610 or D750 offer two SD-card slots and similar megapixels, no 4k also - but price is way cheaper.. Sony has a better af spread, 4k ..

For me - if it had at least the 2nd SD-card slot I would have thought about it .. most important feature if you expirienced loosing images before .. and no, it was not a cheap and old sd card ;)

Looking now forward to sonys next releases - end of the year I will start changing from canon to sony if no mirracle is happening .. Just tested the a9 the other day .. loving it ;)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Billybob said:
In short, the point I was addressing was the implicit claim that if the 6DMII's DR was the same as the 80D, that would not be such a bad thing. Well, it certainly wouldn't be good. It's only okay if you're fine with mediocrity.

Ahh, ok. You're a DRone. I get it, now. Low ISO DR is the be-all-end-all of image quality for you. Clearly, there's no point in pursuing a line of reasoning here.

Billybob said:
A lot of people, myself included, question DXO's scale. However, whether or not the number is valid, the D810's DR is truly industry leading. ...
That comes from personal experience. Have you worked with Nikon bodies enough to make your "BS" claim about their DR from personal experience or are you just relying on second-hand claims?

A strawman argument of your own, well done. I didn't suggest that the D810's DR is industry leading (well, among dSLRs at any rate, personally in the lab I use imaging systems with much wider DR).

No working with Nikon is required to refute DxO's claim of 14.8 stops that has been echoed by many. Merely a knowledge of how they arrived at that number. Their Screen DR measures the EV range which the sensor is capable of recording. Their Print DR is a number derived by calculation, a theoretical reduction of the image to 8 MP. While that is useful for comparison purposes, it is incorrect to state that 14.8 stops of EV can be captured by the sensor - if you try, you'll clip highlights or block shadows, or both.

Billybob said:
Ah, we do agree on this point. After reading elsewhere about other features that have been crippled on the 6DMII, I plan to cancel my pre-order.

Ahhh yes, the 'crippled' argument. Well, you're welcome to make your own value judgments. Canon isn't going to lose sleep over your decision not to buy one.

Twenty one thousand and seventy-five posts, 99.9% of them with the same snotty attitude and still you think it makes you look clever. The scale of stupidity and lack of self awareness leaves me in awe. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
dak723 said:
quod said:
Mikehit said:
No camera is gong to have a big boost in sensor quality over the 6D. Sensor technology has pretty much stalled in the last 5 years and it is all about compromises.
I shoot the A7RII. Yes, it *does* have a big boost in sensor quality over anything Canon. Sorry dude, but I shoot both systems. No speculation here.

Sorry dude, but I tried the Sony A7 And the A7II with the intent of replacing my 6D. There was no practical difference in DR and the Canon had better color and contrast. No speculation here! :) :)

It's true, that DR argument was so voraciously pushed by DXO and DPReview it has stuck past it's date.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon--EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-versus-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Nikon-D810___1071_1035_963

Upvote 0
With regard to 4K or lack thereof, all depends how important it is to you. I'm not a videographer or vlogger so only use the video option for short sequences on holidays. Even then, I'll only view the footage on my PC and I don't have a 4K monitor so it's at HD.

I have a 48" 4K TV and the difference between HD broadcasts & say 4K content on Netflix is marginal and depends much more on the subject matter, lighting, how it was filmed etc. So some HD content will look just as good as 4K anyway. So lack of 4K doesn't really bother me.

More importantly though, for most people, myself included, if you've bought into a system & have lots of Canon glass, you're going to stick with it rather than changing everything. So for Canon shooters wanting full frame who cant or don't want to spend more for the 5D MK4 it's the only choice. I'm happy with it. I'll wait for a while to see reviews just to make sure there's no unexpected problems & then I'll upgrade. Until then, my original 6D serves me just fine.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bollo said:
Twenty one thousand and seventy-five posts, 99.9% of them with the same snotty attitude and still you think it makes you look clever. The scale of stupidity and lack of self awareness leaves me in awe. :)

Two posts and you've shown yourself to be, as you so aptly put it, an

bollo said:
insufferable arsetwat

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you'll gain some maturity, stick around, and become a contributing member who provides some insights and assistance to others.

It's not very likely, since

bollo said:
insufferable arsetwats

rarely do, but there's always hope.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
bollo said:
Twenty one thousand and seventy-five posts, 99.9% of them with the same snotty attitude and still you think it makes you look clever.

As a matter of fact, there's quite a lot or empirical evidence to suggest that he is.

You not agreeing with him doesn't change that.

It does make you look a bit whiny and petulant, though.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
CanoKnight said:
Keep repackaging the same sh** Canon, and watch Sony walk away with a bigger and bigger chunk of marketshare.

Been hearing this for years, and yet Canon sells more and more, and Sony sells less and less.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of a good troll, eh?

Upvote 0
Billybob said:
A lot of people, myself included, question DXO's scale. However, whether or not the number is valid, the D810's DR is truly industry leading.

Yo sure about that. Funny, the 6D actually has (marginally) better DR than the D810 in the situations where I actually find myself lacking dr.
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Canon-EOS-6D___963_836

Upvote 0
epsiloneri said:
neuroanatomist said:
The latest iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack, either.
Indeed, like the iphone, the 6DII could in principle provide sound over bluetooth. Any idea if that's the case? If it is, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the user's manual.

I'm pretty certain that Canon would have said it loud and clear if it had audio Bluetooth. If they can manage lag well enough, it might actually be preferable in some situations to not have a cable in the way.
But regardless, the 6DII isn't a very good video camera anyway, even for 1080p. A funny thing is that it's actually got a worse codec implementation than the first one !

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Aglet said:
I'm sofa-king happy I made the move (to Anything But Canon) years ago.
I really don't know why people have such an irrational emotional attachment to the current under-performing overlords of imaging when the whole litter of underdogs outperforms them by a considerable margin.
If you need better raw files, ABC cameras provide that.
Canon still does make good-enough, fun-to-use, overpriced, optical toys tho. :)

Those who are so proud of themselves for learning their ABCs sometimes seem to believe it's AATS. Meanwhile, most people understand that it's not all about the sensor, it's about the capabilities of the imaging system.

The fact is, people generally buy what best meets their needs. It's not an 'irrational emotional attachment', it's a thoroughly rational choice to buy the system that best meets one's needs. Apparently, you cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that your own personal needs differ from others. In other words, what you really don't understand is reality.

That's ok, though...reality will go on about its business even if you fail to grasp it.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
neuroanatomist said:
Aglet said:
I really don't know why people have such an irrational emotional attachment to the current under-performing overlords of imaging when the whole litter of underdogs outperforms them by a considerable margin.

Those who are so proud of themselves for learning their ABCs sometimes seem to believe it's AATS. Meanwhile, most people understand that it's not all about the sensor, it's about the capabilities of the imaging system.

The fact is, people generally buy what best meets their needs. It's not an 'irrational emotional attachment', it's a thoroughly rational choice to buy the system that best meets one's needs. Apparently, you cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that your own personal needs differ from others. In other words, what you really don't understand is reality.

That's ok, though...reality will go on about its business even if you fail to grasp it.
In the alternate reality where Canon makes the 6D Mark-EtDominator, do they sell more and make more money and have happier customers?

Upvote 0
I am not really sure what you mean irrational emotional attachment. I use Canon because it does what I need it to do. I like the selection of lenses.

I shoot landscape usually on a tripod. What will I gain buy switching to a "better" system? I don't shoot video, I don't shoot weddings. Although it seems to be depised my favorite lens is the Canon 24-105 F4mk1. It just works. My second favorite lens is my 16-35 F4. So if you convince me to sell my Canon bodies (2) Canon lenses (7). What do I buy and how will it make my pictures look better? What will I gain by going through the trouble? It must be something special, but I cannot envision. Please advise.

Aglet said:
quod said:
Mikehit said:
No camera is gong to have a big boost in sensor quality over the 6D. Sensor technology has pretty much stalled in the last 5 years and it is all about compromises.
I shoot the A7RII. Yes, it *does* have a big boost in sensor quality over anything Canon. Sorry dude, but I shoot both systems. No speculation here.

I know 2 pro photogs who have convinced themselves their next body is a FF Sony ML a7-something unless the 6d2 IQs like a 5d4 or better.
With the Sony they can continue to use the Canon glass they're comfortable with and have invested in while greatly improving overall IQ ability over Canon FF.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Well, it looks like whatever else people may like or not about 6D2, it's already an Amazon hit -

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941/ref=zg_bs_nav_p_1_p

6D2 is the #3 bestselling DSLR. There are no Nikon bodies that are over $500 on the top 20 (the $500+ kits both come with 18-55 and 70-300 lenses).

The top 10 are:

#1 T6 kit $499
#2 D3400 kit $497
#3 6D Mark II Body $1,999
#4 T5 Kit $349
#5 D3300 Kit $447
#6 5D Mark IV Body $3,299
#7 D3400 kit (2 lens) $597
#8 70D Body $799
#9 D3300 Kit (2 lens) $495
#10 80D Body $1,099
#11 6D Mark 1 Body $1,399
#12 T6 Kit $359
#13 5D Mark 3 $2,299
#14 D5500 $727
#15 D5300 $489

One thing that's pretty easy to glean from Amazon bestsellers list is that price point is critically important. I'm actually shocked that all top 20 are Canon/Nikon, and that all of the pricier bodies are Canon.

Wow

1st non-Canon/Nikon: Fujifilm No. 36
1st Sony No. 59

Canon are just so doomed! ::)

EDIT: not quite so good in the UK, Pentax are well up here, and the 6DII is "only" at No. 28.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
reef58 said:
I am not really sure what you mean irrational emotional attachment. I use Canon because it does what I need it to do. I like the selection of lenses.

I shoot landscape usually on a tripod. What will I gain buy switching to a "better" system? I don't shoot video, I don't shoot weddings. Although it seems to be depised my favorite lens is the Canon 24-105 F4mk1. It just works. My second favorite lens is my 16-35 F4. So if you convince me to sell my Canon bodies (2) Canon lenses (7). What do I buy and how will it make my pictures look better? What will I gain by going through the trouble? It must be something special, but I cannot envision. Please advise.

Aglet said:
quod said:
Mikehit said:

I know 2 pro photogs who have convinced themselves their next body is a FF Sony ML a7-something unless the 6d2 IQs like a 5d4 or better.
With the Sony they can continue to use the Canon glass they're comfortable with and have invested in while greatly improving overall IQ ability over Canon FF.

The irony is that so much of your type of photography (and mine) is down to post processing anyway. As long as the camera system can capture the required data your good to go. And let's face it, most "serious" camera systems have been able to deal with this since around 2005. The rest is just agonising over minutiae.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
quod said:
Mikehit said:

You made the move yet still post on a canon forum.

Why?

Upvote 0
bollo said:
neuroanatomist said:
Billybob said:
In short, the point I was addressing was the implicit claim that if the 6DMII's DR was the same as the 80D, that would not be such a bad thing. Well, it certainly wouldn't be good. It's only okay if you're fine with mediocrity.

Ahh, ok. You're a DRone. I get it, now. Low ISO DR is the be-all-end-all of image quality for you. Clearly, there's no point in pursuing a line of reasoning here.

Billybob said:
A lot of people, myself included, question DXO's scale. However, whether or not the number is valid, the D810's DR is truly industry leading. ...
That comes from personal experience. Have you worked with Nikon bodies enough to make your "BS" claim about their DR from personal experience or are you just relying on second-hand claims?

A strawman argument of your own, well done. I didn't suggest that the D810's DR is industry leading (well, among dSLRs at any rate, personally in the lab I use imaging systems with much wider DR).

No working with Nikon is required to refute DxO's claim of 14.8 stops that has been echoed by many. Merely a knowledge of how they arrived at that number. Their Screen DR measures the EV range which the sensor is capable of recording. Their Print DR is a number derived by calculation, a theoretical reduction of the image to 8 MP. While that is useful for comparison purposes, it is incorrect to state that 14.8 stops of EV can be captured by the sensor - if you try, you'll clip highlights or block shadows, or both.

Billybob said:
Ah, we do agree on this point. After reading elsewhere about other features that have been crippled on the 6DMII, I plan to cancel my pre-order.

Ahhh yes, the 'crippled' argument. Well, you're welcome to make your own value judgments. Canon isn't going to lose sleep over your decision not to buy one.

So says the guy with 2 posts?

Upvote 0