Canon officially announces the EOS Rebel SL3

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I have used the 200D (SL2) and I quite liked it. Although I did not use any kind of flash with it (and I do have Canon flashes) I feel that the omission of the center pin in the SL3 is a pity in the sense that I would like the upgrades to be a superset of the previous model. On more practical aspects I would like to see a small improvement in the high ISO (the DR is already pretty good) more focus points, GPS and AFMA. OK now I may seem I need it to be a 7DMkIII but the point is it is a very good little camera that in many cases can be used as a backup to higher end ones or in case that someone must hike a lot of distance it can even serve as the main camera. The cost would be higher of course but it would be a super baby DSLR (it kind of is).

Upvote 0
Did anyone watch the promotional video? So bizarre. First the child is disappointed with his box point-and-shoot camera. What kid would be using that nowadays? He would have a smart phone for his pictures. Then the kid borrows his father's SL3 without permission and leaves home without telling his parents and runs all over the city and countryside alone taking pictures. When his father finally finds him, instead of scolding him, he is happy. Does Canon really think childhood disobedience is a good way to sell cameras?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I never see this before.
Well, it was possible to save 0.5 grams and 0.00001 Dollar by removing the center pin from the flash shoe.

The 2000/3000/4000D were already modified that way. It looks it's not what you save, but what you plan to sell. I find removing the options to use cheap or older flashes on low-end cameras quite annoying, and frankly, stupid and a bit evil.

I don't know if the Chinese Canon-compatible models will work anyway, if they do, it's a good way to tell people which evidently can't spend a lot of money to look for them.

Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
Did anyone watch the promotional video? So bizarre. First the child is disappointed with his box point-and-shoot camera. What kid would be using that nowadays? He would have a smart phone for his pictures. Then the kid borrows his father's SL3 without permission and leaves home without telling his parents and runs all over the city and countryside alone taking pictures. When his father finally finds him, instead of scolding him, he is happy. Does Canon really think childhood disobedience is a good way to sell cameras?

Yes it is super odd. What's more, in the European version they used the same footage but cut the whole disappointed-borrows-camera plot, and the boy suddenly just has it (Presumably that's how it works in Europe? Kids can just afford these gadgets?), and in the end, when the father finds him, they watch these images rising to the sky - super weird, somewhat creepy...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Thew civilised world has been using the metric system since just after the french revolution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_the_metric_system

Well, this is largely a US centric site....and in the US we don't commonly use the metric system, so, it shouldn't come as a surprise for us to use non-metric measurements in non-scientific situtations.

For instance, I would have no idea in my head without looking it up, as to how to dress if the weatherman on morning TV said it would be 20C outside....but if he said 20F outside, I'd know to bundle up as that it was really really cold out.

The US isn't likely to change anytime in the near future, so, no need to get on a soapbox, and try to sound sophisticated and holier than thou about it all.

And I do believe the US aren't the only ones to still use non-metric measurements, I even understand that in some EU countries they occasionally still use imperial units of measurements for some common every day things....pints of beer, etc?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, this is largely a US centric site....and in the US we don't commonly use the metric system, so, it shouldn't come as a surprise for us to use non-metric measurements in non-scientific situtations.
It’s a Canadian site, actually. Here in the US, we have Jimmy Carter to thank for us not using the metric system. How many teaspoons in a gallon? I have no idea...but I can easily tell you how many milliliters in a liter. How much does a 1-gallon jug of water weigh? No idea...but I can easily tell you how much a 4 L jug of water weighs. So, thanks Jimmy. :rolleyes:

For what it’s worth, I rented an SUV in Canada last month, the speedometer was in km/h but the outside temperature readout was in °F.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
It’s a Canadian site, actually. Here in the US, we have Jimmy Carter to thank for us not using the metric system. How many teaspoons in a gallon? I have no idea...but I can easily tell you how many milliliters in a liter. How much does a 1-gallon jug of water weigh? No idea...but I can easily tell you how much a 4 L jug of water weighs. So, thanks Jimmy. :rolleyes:

For what it’s worth, I rented an SUV in Canada last month, the speedometer was in km/h but the outside temperature readout was in °F.
Are you sure it was Jimmy Carter's fault? I've never heard him blamed for that. In fact, I've read that he was the President who pushed to get us on the metric system.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Ehm, a UK or US gallon? Like the pint, it changes when crossing the atlantic.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it was Jimmy Carter's fault? I've never heard him blamed for that. In fact, I've read that he was the President who pushed to get us on the metric system.

Gruhl28: you are correct. Jimmy Carter was very pro-metric system (e.g., see: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/president-carter-letter-Jan-1980.pdf). Other people (e.g., Republican Charles Grassley) killed the metric system in the US. The US Metric Board was dismantled in 1982 (after Carter's term). Besides, the metric system was hardly new during Carter's term; you could blame some presidents before Carter and all of the presidents after Carter for not getting the US on board with the rest of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Gruhl28: you are correct. Jimmy Carter was very pro-metric system (e.g., see: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/president-carter-letter-Jan-1980.pdf). Other people (e.g., Republican Charles Grassley) killed the metric system in the US. The US Metric Board was dismantled in 1982 (after Carter's term). Besides, the metric system was hardly new during Carter's term; you could blame some presidents before Carter and all of the presidents after Carter for not getting the US on board with the rest of the world.
Thanks for correcting my mistake! I expect he’d forgive me for blaming him, as I helped make the drug that saved his life. :geek:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0