Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Doesn't it bother you that the camera is thicker than G7X? I'd say G7X is about the maximum thickness comfortable for a pocket camera, and G5X II is a bit too much.
It still fits in my pants pocket. I haven’t noticed the difference in carrying it around for a week. YMMV. I had an S120 before, so I had to get used to the extra thickness of the G7. It also worked great in my jacket pocket yesterday until I sat down.

When I arrived in Rome on Tuesday last week, I took some pictures that afternoon. I later discovered that I had been using the G7X II, which I also brought along, so the difference was not so obvious. If the 5 still had the hump, I would have got the 7.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Most of the time the autofocus works great. Since the little lens has a lot of depth of field, it shouldn’t be tricky. I find that tracking and facial recognition mode works best for me most of the time in this kind of shooting. In churches, it usually locks on Mary’s face. In landscapes it is sometimes fixated on something in the foreground and I can’t always change its mind easily. That probably says more about me than about the camera.

The slight extra zoom over the 7 comes in a little handier than I expected. All in all I am glad I bought it. When I have time, I may check settings on my 7 and set up the 5 more like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
I remember seeing the Canon Asia announcement (9th of July already)...
Mentioning:
YmVCdC5.png

Haven't heard about it since! That is until now...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In a spare moment out in the sun, I decided to review some recent shots. Never having had a camera with an EVR before, I decided to see whether I could see them through it. I was pleased to find that I can. The view is smaller than the screen, but it beats the screen when out in bright sun. The weather has been as beautiful these couple of days in Greece as it was in Italy. The sunset tonight in Athens was even more spectacular than from Fira yesterday, but I was on a bus, so I couldn’t get a good shot. The water still looked blue, and the line of orange reflection of the sun came all the way to shore. It was the kind of shot where you need to reduce saturation in Photoshop so people would believe you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
I live at the beach, so catching stunning sunsets is a regular occurance. The G7 X Mark III gives a nice true to life touch when it comes to colors, much more so than my Huawei P30 Pro Leica setup.

The new V1.1.0 firmware update gives it a better C-AF now, though it's still not perfect. With a 24p firmware update coming as well, the G7 X Mark III is nicely on its way to redeem its PowerShot G-series vlogging cult status the original 2 managed to establish.

Do wish the G7 X Mark III would've gotten the G5 X Mark II's new lens (with an extra 20mm on the tele end, yet offering the same f/1.8-2.8 sensitivity, opposed to Sony RX100 Mark VI and VII that traded in sensitivity (now f/2.8-4.5 quickly falling off from wide) for range). I'm used to my P30 Pro now which has a wide angle, super wide angle, 5x optical and 10x hybrid which is remarkably flexible for such a small device. Tried zooming in to see a three-master sailing yacht more up close and the G7 X Mark III wasn't able to give me a more detailed look than my eyes provided, whilst my P30 Pro managed to give me more to go on for me to identify it as the 'Black Pearl' which apparently is regarded the largest sailing boat and won this year's 'sailing yacht of the year' award (so, wishing the G7 X Mark III had a bit more range, it's great for a vlogger who documents things from his/her perspective; just... I expected a little more flexibility to make it more suitable for a bit of filmmaking/photography). Makes you think if compact cameras perhaps need to follow the smartphone ways. Surely we've seen the Light L16 going about it in a similar fashion, but that was more a (2015 proof of) concept, than a device actual ready for mass market; but it started an importent trend and approach that's now ready for primetime. Though, multiple 1" sensors might be a bit of a fuss on a compact camera. Maybe it can have a revolver-style swap mechanism for the lenses and make the sensor stabilized opposed to the optics. Anyways...

FW US page: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...rshot-g7-x-mark-iii?subtab=downloads-firmware
FW EU page: https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...es/powershot-g7-x-mark-iii.html?type=firmware
(Same file though)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
In all seriousness, I have my eye on the G5 and the first price drops. It might be the travel camera and backup to my Canon FF bodies my M5 never was (not pocketable, still bringing the same gear and accessories, just smaller, button layout a crowded mess for large hands)
Sounds like you should try the G1X III ? As small as the G5X (Mark 1)

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I live at the beach, so catching stunning sunsets is a regular occurance. The G7 X Mark III gives a nice true to life touch when it comes to colors, much more so than my Huawei P30 Pro Leica setup.

The new V1.1.0 firmware update gives it a better C-AF now, though it's still not perfect. With a 24p firmware update coming as well, the G7 X Mark III is nicely on its way to redeem its PowerShot G-series vlogging cult status the original 2 managed to establish.

Do wish the G7 X Mark III would've gotten the G5 X Mark II's new lens (with an extra 20mm on the tele end, yet offering the same f/1.8-2.8 sensitivity, opposed to Sony RX100 Mark VI and VII that traded in sensitivity (now f/2.8-4.5 quickly falling off from wide) for range). I'm used to my P30 Pro now which has a wide angle, super wide angle, 5x optical and 10x hybrid which is remarkably flexible for such a small device. Tried zooming in to see a three-master sailing yacht more up close and the G7 X Mark III wasn't able to give me a more detailed look than my eyes provided, whilst my P30 Pro managed to give me more to go on for me to identify it as the 'Black Pearl' which apparently is regarded the largest sailing boat and won this year's 'sailing yacht of the year' award (so, wishing the G7 X Mark III had a bit more range, it's great for a vlogger who documents things from his/her perspective; just... I expected a little more flexibility to make it more suitable for a bit of filmmaking/photography). Makes you think if compact cameras perhaps need to follow the smartphone ways. Surely we've seen the Light L16 going about it in a similar fashion, but that was more a (2015 proof of) concept, than a device actual ready for mass market; but it started an importent trend and approach that's now ready for primetime. Though, multiple 1" sensors might be a bit of a fuss on a compact camera. Maybe it can have a revolver-style swap mechanism for the lenses and make the sensor stabilized opposed to the optics. Anyways...

FW US page: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...rshot-g7-x-mark-iii?subtab=downloads-firmware
FW EU page: https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...es/powershot-g7-x-mark-iii.html?type=firmware
(Same file though)

Is it really coming a Firmware update for the G7X III to implement 24p?

I do hope it's also coming for the G5X III which is an excellent photo & video camera!!!
(No noticeable rolling shutter at 4K!!)

Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
Is it really coming a Firmware update for the G7X III to implement 24p?

I do hope it's also coming for the G5X III which is an excellent photo & video camera!!!
(No noticeable rolling shutter at 4K!!)
Yup. No April Fools joke being played here.

[..] introduce 24p (23.98fps) mode for video recording, via a series of future firmware updates for select models. Once downloaded, the free firmware updates will enable users to shoot 24p (23.98fps) in Full HD and 4K resolutions for the select models.

The first Canon models to benefit from the new 24p (23.98fps) firmware will be the recently launched EOS 90D and EOS RP in late October. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and G5 X Mark II will follow by the end of December and the EOS M6 Mark II update will be available during 2020.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Since I’ve never had occasion to shoot 24p video, should I bother to install this update? Is there anything of value to me in the release, or does anybody know yet?
Have they already fixed the WiFi security hole? If not yet, it will likely be delivered in the same firmware update.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019

Oh, GREAT!!

I didn't see any official statement like that.

Really glad once again the "customers voice" (claims, bad reviews, comments on many Review sites, etc.) made impact and Canon includes what was "removed".

This reminds me the 5D2 case with the "Manual" settings for video mode..
That was epic.

BTW, by any chance you live in Estonia?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Since I’ve never had occasion to shoot 24p video, should I bother to install this update? Is there anything of value to me in the release, or does anybody know yet?
I haven't gone through the release in detail, but these firmware updates always include miscellaneous bug-fixes and minor enhancements etc, so its a good idea to do them if you have the chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
Oh, GREAT!!

I didn't see any official statement like that.

Really glad once again the "customers voice" (claims, bad reviews, comments on many Review sites, etc.) made impact and Canon includes what was "removed".

This reminds me the 5D2 case with the "Manual" settings for video mode..
That was epic.

BTW, by any chance you live in Estonia?
Yup, I didn't expect that from 'Cripple Hammer' Canon. It was a clear marketing/segmentation move to conciously withhold certain things from certain cameras to boost sales in other areas. But wow, the shitstorm after the G7 X Mark III launch debackle was real. People were reviewing them left and right giving Canon bad notes on their C-AF, making use of stores' return policy. Not only was it not up to snuff compared to the competition, it was worse than its predecessor the G7 X Mark II. I don't think Canon foresaw that kind of pushback. They're used to blind consumers that buy their products no matter what. They had to pull a drastic save... and so a C-AF fix was issued (Panasonic has proven C-AF tweaks can make a camera go from awful to usable; but I like that Panasonic has individual settings for 'sensitivity' and 'speed' with like a parameter range from -3 to +3, so you kinda make your own algorithm hotspot)... as well as a 24p addition program for numerous products that had it omited. I hope they understand now that the way forward is to try and stay ahead of the Sonys, Panasonics and Fujifilms of this world that are really giving it their everything, holding nothing back. They can't just keep regurgitating old specs and only tweaking things slightly. They gotta keep innovating and pushing the limits. They've always been good at the basics... some models with frontfacing touchscreens, nice and easy interfaces, solid C-AF, pretty colors... but the C-AF now is worrysome... the competition has attractive looking colors now as well... etc.

Nope. From The Netherlands. Never set foot in Estonia before, unfortunately. Flew across many times though.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Yup, I didn't expect that from 'Cripple Hammer' Canon. It was a clear marketing/segmentation move to conciously withhold certain things from certain cameras to boost sales in other areas. But wow, the shitstorm after the G7 X Mark III launch debackle was real. People were reviewing them left and right giving Canon bad notes on their C-AF, making use of stores' return policy. Not only was it not up to snuff compared to the competition, it was worse than its predecessor the G7 X Mark II. I don't think Canon foresaw that kind of pushback. They're used to blind consumers that buy their products no matter what. They had to pull a drastic save... and so a C-AF fix was issued (Panasonic has proven C-AF tweaks can make a camera go from awful to usable; but I like that Panasonic has individual settings for 'sensitivity' and 'speed' with like a parameter range from -3 to +3, so you kinda make your own algorithm hotspot)... as well as a 24p addition program for numerous products that had it omited. I hope they understand now that the way forward is to try and stay ahead of the Sonys, Panasonics and Fujifilms of this world that are really giving it their everything, holding nothing back. They can't just keep regurgitating old specs and only tweaking things slightly. They gotta keep innovating and pushing the limits. They've always been good at the basics... some models with frontfacing touchscreens, nice and easy interfaces, solid C-AF, pretty colors... but the C-AF now is worrysome... the competition has attractive looking colors now as well... etc.

Nope. From The Netherlands. Never set foot in Estonia before, unfortunately. Flew across many times though.

1,000% agree with you...
Let's hope Canon "learns" something from this.. (stone heads..)

If not, then the story should repeat, with the help of customers, reviewers, etc., to get un-crippled products.

Many nayers said it was impossible an update, nor Canon being "reading" this (or other) forums.

But in fact they do something of this kind. They do gather reactions from people and customers.

I already knew it as fact (source), and this step forward also shows that complains (and returns, as you said) CAN make an impact and change.

I love when a manufacturer delivers almost all possible potential to the user. Panasonic has done (Sony too), and that retrieves a bonus in sales & loyalty

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Or to put it slightly differently (and more succinctly) Canon noted that a number of people buying these cameras wanted the 24p option, so they released a firmware fix giving it to them.

Yes, but it's not that easy at all that a company improves the firmware of several cameras to make customers happier.

There must be a LOT of buzz/complains/bad reviews/etc. to achieve that.

Fortunately it happened, and Canon took the right decision. (Obviously, not only to make people happier, but to sale more & keep loyalty at some level)

Upvote 0