Canon officially announces the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
Yes, the 14-35 is a little different from the 16-35, but I think most people would consider them essentially interchangeable in their kits, which is why people talk about the 14-35 as a replacement for the 16-35. I can't imagine too many people keeping both in their kits. I certainly see the 14-35 as just the 16-35 evolving to its next version, not something fundamentally different, and therefore as an update of and replacement for the 16-35.

I feel the same about the EF 100-400L II and the RF 100-500L.

Progress inevitably has a price, but Canon is certainly putting a very high price on it if you ask me.

High price indeed.

TL;DR: BOTTOM LINE: This glass is expensive. Why do I want to replace already great EF glass with more expensive RF glass?

The longer post:

So I am a gentleman of a certain age.
I *can* spend the money if I *wanted* to spend the money.
I have found that it is NOT a coincidence that those who have money are those who are not inclined to spend it.

I have found that RF has been an effective and immediate cure for GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). . . . looking from the perspective of a gear junkie. I am in no way a paid photographer. . . . . I have been tossing out $1-$2K every year or so on camera toys. A small vice; one that (over a decade or three) has resulted in a nice collection of EF glass and EOS bodies. However. . . now in one year I find that *simultaneously* both my dSLR body and *all* the lenses are "obsolete".

With a liberal application of cash* I could resolve this and get a full RF kit. OCD and GAS issues resolved. . .
I might grimace when the visa bill shows up. . . but it is doable with a smile on my face.

But two simple facts gnaw at me

* at the core; RF is an *incremental* improvement over a dSLR. Sure. . .electronic viewfinders are nice. . .sensors are improved. . . . . but fundamentally, dSLR's are quite capable of taking nice pictures. Explain again why I need to refresh the entire system?

* Essentially, the "ask" is "Please rebuy all your glass". Now. . .if the glass was smaller or cheaper. . .then I might be convinced to spring. But that is NOT the case. Sure - - you can get by with adapters. But honestly. . . if you could make do with adapters. . are the bodies that much better you can't simply use the old dSLR body with the old quality EF glass?

Honestly. . . the "ask" is to basically repurchase the system. Hmmm. . . If I am repurchasing the entire system. . . .Sony makes camera systems as well, right?

Meh. . . .my GAS is like my drinking. I really can stop anytime I want to. I can keep my credit card in the wallet; as I have for the last 18 months Honestly. . .considering my *life* right now; what I really want is the EOS M system. Small bodies. . .. not hideously expensive. . . .but CRUDDY GLASS SELECTION . . .give me a set of decent F4 glass (don't give me F6.3 balderdash) . . and I would buy a complete system TOMORROW.

* Covid. . . . . I could spring and buy a system with a liberal application of cash . . .but the simple reality of 2020 and 2021 is that . . the product is not there. A $7K impulse buy from a reputable dealer is NOT an option. As far as I am concerned. . .the entire RF system is vaporware as I can't get my hands on key pieces of glass. That makes it real easy to NOT COMMIT to the RF system.

A strange world. . . .I also had both a car and a house on my 2021 agenda . . . Covid is preventing both of those (Car dealers have no inventory) (and I don't need to buy a house during an obvious housing bubble).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Many posters are saying "that's too expensive to replace my EF 16-35" (actually a common theme for many RF lens releases).
Well, so be it, keep your EF and be happy. Canon isn't forcing anybody to buy RF glass, hence the nifty EF adapters that even offer some cool features not found on RF glass.
I, and many other people I'm sure, don't have an EF 16-35. So, I'm gonna buy this RF 14-35 and most likely enjoy it, and not be worried that it's too expensive to replace some other lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
I, and many other people I'm sure, don't have an EF 16-35. So, I'm gonna buy this RF 14-35 and most likely enjoy it, and not be worried that it's too expensive to replace some other lens.

This and as time goes by, younger people coming to Canon and RF without any EF history will just be forced to pay the advertised price if they want to play. The people buying new RF lenses in 3-5 years time won't be burdened by the thought of how much EF lenses are (or were.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The people buying new RF lenses in 3-5 years time won't be burdened by the thought of how much EF lenses are (or were.)
In fact, those people may benefit from the reality of how much EF lenses will cost at that point. The present case is an example, if one needs an UWA zoom and 16mm is wide enough, then the EF option with the adapter is cheaper than the RF version, and may be more so in a few years.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
High price indeed.

TL;DR: BOTTOM LINE: This glass is expensive. Why do I want to replace already great EF glass with more expensive RF glass?

The longer post:

I have found that it is NOT a coincidence that those who have money are those who are not inclined to spend it.

I have found that RF has been an effective and immediate cure for GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). . . . looking from the perspective of a gear junkie. I am in no way a paid photographer. . . . . I have been tossing out $1-$2K every year or so on camera toys. A small vice; one that (over a decade or three) has resulted in a nice collection of EF glass and EOS bodies. However. . . now in one year I find that *simultaneously* both my dSLR body and *all* the lenses are "obsolete".

With a liberal application of cash* I could resolve this and get a full RF kit. OCD and GAS issues resolved. . .
I might grimace when the visa bill shows up. . . but it is doable with a smile on my face.

* at the core; RF is an *incremental* improvement over a dSLR. Sure. . .electronic viewfinders are nice. . .sensors are improved. . . . . but fundamentally, dSLR's are quite capable of taking nice pictures. Explain again why I need to refresh the entire system?

* Essentially, the "ask" is "Please rebuy all your glass". Now. . .if the glass was smaller or cheaper. . .then I might be convinced to spring. But that is NOT the case. Sure - - you can get by with adapters. But honestly. . . if you could make do with adapters. . are the bodies that much better you can't simply use the old dSLR body with the old quality EF glass?

Honestly. . . the "ask" is to basically repurchase the system. Hmmm. . . If I am repurchasing the entire system. . . .Sony makes camera systems as well, right?

Meh. . . .my GAS is like my drinking. I really can stop anytime I want to. I can keep my credit card in the wallet; as I have for the last 18 months Honestly. . .considering my *life* right now; what I really want is the EOS M system. Small bodies. . .. not hideously expensive. . . .but CRUDDY GLASS SELECTION . . .give me a set of decent F4 glass (don't give me F6.3 balderdash) . . and I would buy a complete system TOMORROW.

* Covid. . . . . I could spring and buy a system with a liberal application of cash . . .but the simple reality of 2020 and 2021 is that . . the product is not there. A $7K impulse buy from a reputable dealer is NOT an option. As far as I am concerned. . .the entire RF system is vaporware as I can't get my hands on key pieces of glass. That makes it real easy to NOT COMMIT to the RF system.

A strange world. . . .I also had both a car and a house on my 2021 agenda . . . Covid is preventing both of those (Car dealers have no inventory) (and I don't need to buy a house during an obvious housing bubble).
Likewise, I am fortunate to have the wherewithal to purchase what I want. For lenses that I use a lot, I would prefer lenses that are native if they offer benefits for me over the EF 'equivalents' – and in some cases, they do. I'm not really concerned about cheaper, smaller is nice but not needed. I mean optical or functional advantages.

The RF 24-70/2.8 has IS, or I could opt for a 28-70/2. The RF 100-500 gives a lot more reach than my 70-300L (I used to have the 100-400, but sold it after getting the 600/4 II).

I'm fine keeping my 85/1.4L IS, not fussed over that 1/2-stop. Likewise, I'll adapt my 100L for macro, the 1.4x of the RF version is nice, but if I need more than 1x magnification I also have the MP-E 65 1-5x lens. There aren't any R-mount TS-E lenses to replace my 17 and 24 II, but particularly for the TS-E 17 adapting the EF mount has the big advantage of the drop-in filter adapter (I have the Wonderpana front filters, but it's a pain to carry those salad plates around).

As for the subject of this thread, the RF 14-35, it's a good size and takes 77mm filters, and the extra 2mm on the wide end can be a big advantage over the EF 16-35/4L IS. However, personally I am going to stay with an adapter 16-35/4. I mainly use it locally, not for travel. For the latter, I typically take the TS-E 17 and the 11-24/4, and looking at my shots with the latter most of them are in the 11-13mm range meaning the 14-35 cannot substitute. The drop-in adapter is an even bigger advantage for using the 11-24 on an R body, since front filters are not a very viable option.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well, in addition to the adapter there is the option of native use that is keeping some good old DSLRs like 5DMkIV, 5DsR, etc.
For example when I go out have the 5DMkIV permanently with the 16-35 4L IS in the bag. I am not going to change frantically my R5 between 100-500, 500II/2XIII and 16-35! I do not intend to bye 2 more R5 cameras! So the best use for me is R5 for tele use and 5DMkIV for UWA. I also have a G7XII in my pocket... More than enough!

Even when I shoot with my D850/500PF I have the 5MkIV with 16-35 4L IS for landscapes. R5 with RF 15-35 is not smaller!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
This and as time goes by, younger people coming to Canon and RF without any EF history will just be forced to pay the advertised price if they want to play. The people buying new RF lenses in 3-5 years time won't be burdened by the thought of how much EF lenses are (or were.)
Nobody will be forced to "play". Smart photographers will buy used EF lenses for cheaper and use the adapter if they don't need the extra 2mm on the wide end. Just like today. :oops:

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
High price indeed.

The longer post:

Sounds like your situation is a little different from mine, but I agree about the RF gear having been a cure for GAS. I've shot Canon for about 20 years and this is the first time since I started that I have felt this way. As you suggest, there are other options if you have to re-buy lenses to get all the benefits of mirrorless (as well as EF lenses may work wtih an adapter). I'm jealous of the lens options for Sony.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Got the lens (only two arrived to the shop, and I was the first to get one). Had no time to meaningfully test it, so just a random snapshot on my way from the store to my workplace (EOS R5, 14 f/8, same image with and without DLO, resolution cut in half due to forum limitations):

View attachment 199770
View attachment 199769
Congratulations Kit.....just happy to see someone got one. Perhaps they'll now start trickling in.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I´m going for the exact same kit :) 14-500mm with three lenses is just awesome. Add another astro lense and Ive got all I want/ need
Me too. Own, RF24-105L, RF100-500L +RF100L macro and pre-ordered the RF14-35L, which should come in shortly, hopefully....like you, this covers most of the bases for me, although I'll take a close look at the RF10-24L, if it ever materializes.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Didn’t TDP say 2.5 stops of vignetting? The bottom shot has some seriously dark corners?
The dark corners are cropped out during the barrel distortion correction.

Besides, I have a protection filter on it, which may add extra vignetting to the uncorrected image at 14mm. I can make a test with and without the filter, but as it doesn't affect the distortion-corrected image (in the viewfinder and in the DPP), I don't see it as a problem.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
UPDATE on RF14-35 availability......just rec'd notification from B&H that my June 29th pre-order has shipped, with ETA of Fri Aug 27th. So, after having rec'd my Jun 1 pre-ordered RF100mm F2.8L is macro lens last week and soon to be rec'd RF14-35 pre-order in just two days, is this a sign of Canon's supply chain finally catching up?? Let's hope so, as R3 announcement lingers soon, we hope, even as we wonder if there will be some new lens announcements that day as well........It's worth noting, whether you are interested in the 14-35 or not, that while I pre-ordered the RF14-35 a month after the RF100, it will arrive just one week later. That sounds encouraging.

Upvote 0