Canon Officially Discontinues Three Lenses

Nov 4, 2011
Rachael Alice said:
Replacement for every discontinued product (here I mean to say for the lens) is available?
as stated in start post of thread: for 2 of the 3 officially discontinued lenses canon has launched successors. for 70-300 DO there is no direct successor (yet).

for most of the other "non officially discontinued old dog lenses" there are good/better alternatives available, by Canon and /or 3rd party brands.

overall there are far more overlapping lens models offered than really needed. only 2 lenses are truly missing: EF 50/1.4 II (possibly with IS) for ahsanford and EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM for me ... ;-)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
AvTvM said:
First and foremost 75-300 III and 75-300 III USM come to mind, pieces of junk.

That is clearly the worst lens I own. But I have a new appreciation for it after I saw the pictures I got of the eclipse. Some CA, but otherwise sharp. Sunspots show up well in the photos before totality.

Once I buy a 6D2, I'll start looking at lenses. I'll get a 24-105 kit lens with it, and will want something wider, and then I'll replace the 75-300, but I haven't decided with what. I don't shoot a lot of telephoto pictures, but some of that comes from not having a particularly good telephoto lens. I don't use the 10-22mm lens with my Rebel that much either since I don't shoot for realtors any more. So I might not be in a big rush for a super wide.

Upvote 0