Canon Patent Application: Improving Eye Control Autofocus

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon never fully completes something and is always looking at methods to improve the technology they have developed. In this patent application (2024-003432), Canon is looking to improve Eye Control AF’s functions. This is currently available on the Canon EOS R3 and, most likely, on the R1 camera body. Hopefully, it will be an option

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Would be great if the eye control AF would trickle down to R5 and R6 level cameras soon. That and since it is now EVF, make the viewfinders bigger. That would be worth a camera upgrade.
Wait long enough, it would get to the R7, R8 level. At a guess, I imagine it could be a game-changer for fast-moving wildlife & sports photography.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I always ask myself how well eye control works when you are wearing glasses... :unsure:
Probably depends on the glasses and the amount of ambient light.
I have tried the R3s eyetracking when I was at the photopia in Hamburg last year. Even though I am horribly far sighted, after calibration it worked like a charm through my quite heavily corrected glasses.
That was indoors though. I think it would probably struggle a lot, when there was quite a lot of lightleaking and reflection in the glasses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am very short sighted and wear spectacles. I have turned off the eye tracking on my R3, as it was just getting in the way. I perservered for a few months, but it was never reliable causing me to miss lots of shots and take ages getting the shots I did want. I've gone back to a large central focus point, and that works reliably well. On a positive note though, the dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece works like a charm to ensure that I can focus on the EVF.

Other non-spectacle wearers viewpoints might be different 8)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Probably depends on the glasses and the amount of ambient light.
I have tried the R3s eyetracking when I was at the photopia in Hamburg last year. Even though I am horribly far sighted, after calibration it worked like a charm through my quite heavily corrected glasses.
That was indoors though. I think it would probably struggle a lot, when there was quite a lot of lightleaking and reflection in the glasses.
Thanks for that impression. If eye AF gets improvements, that'll turn out even better.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Back when I had my Elan IIe, my experience was similar to tangerine_sedge, above. I'm a -5.25, and while hoping for a future improvement, I've read too many mixed reviews for the current state of eye controlled focus.
But it's great to see the Elan IIe image on Canon Rumors! That the closest to a "retro" style camera that I could accept.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
It works terribly.. I bought the r3 specifically for this feature and as someone who wears glasses its not great.. It doesn't detect movement very much
I would imagine that a larger viewfinder will make things more accurate for tracking the eye (more room to place sensors). Would be nice if we had the option to get eyecups big enough to fit around glasses so little to no stray light enters when looking through the EVF.

Upvote 0