Canon PowerShot G1 X II Final Specifications

Solar Eagle said:
Lee Jay said:
I'm always amazed that people care about how a camera looks. It doesn't take pictures of itself.

I could see an ugly man, robot, or senior citizen not caring about how his camera looks, but I'm sure any young, good looking, senstive man wants his camera to be as sexy as he is. lol

How good a product looks plays a big role in what most people buy. I'm no different and expect my camera and lenses to pretty sexy and modern looking. Not becuase I think other people will have any sort of appreciation for the contraption in my hand, but becuase I have an eye and appreciate beauty, so natually I buy stuff I am attracted too.

I am amazed there are people who either have no visual attraction to what they spend their money on, or spend their money on things they are not visually attracted to. lol

Regardless if you like the look of the new G1x or not, you have to admit it's better looking that this eye sore!:
http://thenewcamera.com/sigma-dp2-quattro-price-and-press-release/

Upvote 0
Solar Eagle said:
I could see an ugly man, robot, or senior citizen not caring about how his camera looks, but I'm sure any young, good looking, senstive man wants his camera to be as sexy as he is. lol

Not good form to display your ugly prejudices so openly. And the "lol" at the end of the sentence doesn't mean you can be insulting without consequence.

As for this particular camera it appears to be oriented more toward function than form. Frankly, I'm surprised a company that could create the elegant EOS M cannot do better than this.

Upvote 0
CanoSony said:
Woody said:
CanoSony said:
G1X mk2 killer
watch from 1:20...
11fps WITH tracking.

Size? Lens speed for the same price? Also, not everyone needs tracking. Otherwise, A6000 looks cool.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#375.360,257,ha,t

size of previous gen (nex 6 and g1x)

pricing is $800 with 16-50 3.5-5.6 lens

still packs apsc and faster af + faster burst.

It also still packs a slow and mediocre lens... Sony's lenses have been nothing but yawn. The only decent lenses they make are made by Zeiss and cost as much as L lenses. Canon and Fuji kick the pants off Sony imo for that reason alone. If people think the G1Xii won't sell, they're fools, this camera has an obvious market as soon as people get it through their thick skulls that having the option to change lenses doesn't make a camera inherently "better".

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Overview video on the camera from Canon's marketing dudes here (it's in English):
First Look: PowerShot G1X Mark II compact camera review

They briefly speak to the EVF but offer no specifics. No EOS-M connectivity commentary, but you wouldn't expect that in a launch video. It's like they just want us to buy this camera, those jerks. :p

- A

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
ahsanford said:
Overview video on the camera from Canon's marketing dudes here (it's in English):

They briefly speak to the EVF but offer no specifics. No EOS-M connectivity commentary, but you wouldn't expect that in a launch video. It's like they just want us to buy this camera, those jerks. :p

- A
Sorry, but I just could not concentrate on what they were saying ... the whole time I kept thinking why the hell is the guy in the blue shirt so uninspired about what he is saying ... and the bald dude just looked like someone shoved something up the unmentionable cavity, with the assurance that they'd remove it only if he spoke the words they chose for him ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
ahsanford said:

- A
Sorry, but I just could not concentrate on what they were saying ... the whole time I kept thinking why the hell is the guy in the blue shirt so uninspired about what he is saying ... and the bald dude just looked like someone shoved something up the unmentionable cavity, with the assurance that they'd remove it only if he spoke the words they chose for him ;D ;D ;D ;D

With first-party marketing, I leave it on mute until they get to the one or two features I really want to hear more about.

Except for those awesome Nikon Df ads. keep the volume on. Those are roller coasters of awful.

- A

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
mrsfotografie said:
CanoSony said:
G1X mk2 killer:

FIRST LOOK: Sony α6000 with World's Fastest Autofocus System

watch from 1:20...

11fps WITH tracking.

Whoa!! Sony is somewhat nerdy, but seriously cool! 8) Want, want, want... :-[ :-[ :-[

It surprises me they dropped the 'NEX' prefix.
+1 for "Want, want, want"
Yeah, most NEX users are quite unhappy about this name change thing ... I think it kinda created a bit of confusion for many people ... I feel it was an unnecessary change.

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
Rienzphotoz said:
Yeah, most NEX users are quite unhappy about this name change thing ... I think it kinda created a bit of confusion for many people ... I feel it was an unnecessary change.

Sony insisted that Zeiss drop the pretentious "Carl" bit, and Zeiss acquiesced on condition Sony dropped the nonsensical "NEX" bit.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Back on topic [cough] here are some pics of this new animal:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/13/hands-on-with-canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii/1

I normally don't push markety stuff, but Canon has not exactly explained all the details. It's pretty hard to find a good shot of that EVF, let alone a screen cap of what it actually reports.

I'm not a mirrorless guy, and I recognize that this camera is more of a feature-laden point and shoot than a professional's tool, but Canon finally getting into still camera EVFs is interesting to me.

I keep hearing that the Fuji gang have made EVFs these multifunctional heads-up displays that can do all sorts of things. I appreciate that they have an optical/electronic simultaneous thing going on and this is purely an EVF, but the lack of a proper viewfinder will never have me take EOS-M seriously as an enthusiast. So any attempt to offer one (even here, in a segment I would never buy hardware) gives us a glimpse of what might be coming.

- A

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Sella174 said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Sony insisted that Zeiss drop the pretentious "Carl" bit, and Zeiss acquiesced on condition Sony dropped the nonsensical "NEX" bit.
Really? or are you kidding?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Sella174 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Really? or are you kidding?

I'm kidding. But it does sound so very plausible, doesn't it? So it could be true, because many a true word is spoken in jest. And therefore the arrow never hits the tortoise. [insert insane laugh here]
Well, you had me there for a little while :)

Upvote 0
I don't get it. Same sensor size, no optical viewfinder. Why would I want this over the current version (which I didn't buy either)?

When will Canon provide a camera that people like me would want as a secondary/travel camera? Something that has at least APS-C, a fast lens with manual focus option, easy access to shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a good optical viewfinder? I mean, how hard could that be to have some version of a poor man's Leica?

This thing here is about as impressive as the S120 that I bought for my 10 year old daughter a while back (and for what it is it's actually a nice camera).

Next...

Upvote 0
ajndesign said:
LDS said:
Ugly camera - not because its "look" - but because it looks a huge step backward in usability compared to the G1X. No dials and a touch screen?
Explain how a touch screen is a step back??

I agree with that. I think it's targeting the wrong crowd. The 1GX was a traditional photographer's camera (of sorts) or at least pretends to be with look and features. Now they're going the Sony route but are not "cool" enough for that either.

I personally can't stand touch screens per se. I reluctantly switched to an iPhone from an old Blackberry. And even though it's great for some stuff it can be a pain for others. Including photography I find. I just spend a few days in the Rockies. It was freezing cold. Didn't wanna bring my 5DII up into the mountains. The iPhone only works with gloves off which was only an option for a few minutes at best.

Ultimately, I was glad I had brought my old Olympus rangefinder and a few rolls of Tri-X. I know, crazy. But you get my point. I'm the kind of guy who wants a digital camera that can be controlled like a real camera and not like my silly iPhone.

Add to that no viewfinder and I'm out.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7enderbender said:
When will Canon provide a camera that people like me would want as a secondary/travel camera? Something that has at least APS-C, a fast lens with manual focus option, easy access to shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a good optical viewfinder? I mean, how hard could that be to have some version of a poor man's Leica?

Next...

Fuji seems to dominate the chatter and good reviews for enthusiast APS-C fixed lens rigs -- the poor-man's Leicas, if you will.

But if you want to drill down, for enthusiasts with a fixed lens (and leaving out the consumer point and shoots and superzooms)...

Optical VF + fast fixed lens + full manual controls (if you want it) + APS-C = Fuji X10 (discontinued), X100 and X100s

EVF / LCD-only control + fast fixed lens + full manual controls (-ish) + APS-C = Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A, Sigma DP3 and Quattro, Leica's X Vario and X2

EVF / LCD only control + fast fixed lens + full manual controls (sort of?) + 1" sensor = Sony RX100 I and II

...and then you get into the smaller sensor Pentax and lower-price Fuji rigs.

If you want a modular lens system, the above does not apply. Just go to B&H and drill down from the top under camera bodies and select what you want. Sensors dictate your call there.

APS-C and fast fixed lens = pricey, easily more than an SLR with a nifty fifty, and about the same as an SLR with a Canon 24mm F/2.8 IS (if you want something wider and sort-of quick). If you want a second body and money is an issue, ask yourself how badly you need to lose that mirror or have a big sensor / employ a tiny DOF. If you have to have a skinny DOF, or need strong low light performance, etc., it's certainly more cost-effective to just get a second SLR body and use the lenses you already have.

This starts a question on the value of small rigs and what you truly are paying for, but that's a very very long thread to start. ::)

- A

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
7enderbender said:
When will Canon provide a camera that people like me would want as a secondary/travel camera? Something that has at least APS-C, a fast lens with manual focus option, easy access to shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a good optical viewfinder?

Canon EOS 100D with EF 35mm f/2 IS USM lens ... but only because you want an optical viewfinder.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sella174 said:
7enderbender said:
When will Canon provide a camera that people like me would want as a secondary/travel camera? Something that has at least APS-C, a fast lens with manual focus option, easy access to shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a good optical viewfinder?

Canon EOS 100D with EF 35mm f/2 IS USM lens ... but only because you want an optical viewfinder.

Great minds think alike. 8)

I would state to you, 7enderbender, that the optical VF is the most limiting feature as far as body options go.

Effectively, an optical VF means you are down to Leica, Fuji, or an SLR. (And no, I don't count a hotshoe optical VF like the RX1 offering as a legit VF. Framing must be dubious with that.)

In other words, unless there's a mirror, optical VFs are becoming somewhat extinct. That could be the number one reason why I still prefer an SLR to mirrorless.

- A

Attachments

• sony-rx1-optical-viewfinder.jpg
    sony-rx1-optical-viewfinder.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0
Canon seem to be playing Blackberry to Sony/Fuji's iPhone in the compact camera space.

I think you're either pocketable (RX100), rangefinderesque (X100) or interchangeable (NEX or whatever they're calling them now). But you're not big and ugly and fixed-lens like the G1X. It's a very forgettable camera and will be lost in the clutter of these other models.

Upvote 0