Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Camera & Accessory USD Pricing

Jul 21, 2010
BasXcanon said:
neuroanatomist said:
BasXcanon said:
So let me do the calculation for you:

Seems your math skills are ok, it's your logical skills that are woefully lacking.

Come on Neuro, those options are in the same vein,
it is just you being mad that this would be a better option than your beloved M6 + EFM 11-22mm

No, it's just you being completely obtuse. First off, there is a substantial difference between 11mm and 15mm (17.6 vs. 24 mm full frame FoV). So, a 15-44mm lens doesn't replace, much less constitute 'better than', an 11-xx lens. Different is not the same as better.

But even ignoring that simple fact, your list of lenses is ridiculous and asinine. If you want to make a proper calculation, this new PowerShot replaces the 15-45 + 22 or the 18-55 + 24 or the 17-40L. If you actually do believe (foolishly) that a wide angle is the same as an ultra wide, even then it's the 11-22 + 15-45 + 22 or the 10-18 + 18-55 + 24. Either way, not more than $700. Any way you slice it, this PowerShot is way overpriced.

All you've managed to demonstrate with your "calculation" is that you can add numbers…and maybe you needed a calculator to even do that.

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
Ok but can we drop the negativity in the comment section below??

The camera will have a better screen and navigation than you will ever find on a Sony/fuji.
If the camera has the rumored 15-43mm F2-4 and aspherical elements lens,
It be on par sharpness wise with the Canon efm 15-45mm kit.
There will finally be a faster APS-C wide angle option, so replaces your efs 10-18mm and efm 11-22 ,
will be as fast as the 24mm F2.8 on a rebel dslr. And compared to the EFM 22 will be stabilized. And the lens will be faster than any other kit lens that is provided by the other mfg, so you can forget about the latest small 18-55mm F4-5.6 kitlens as well. Even if you had considers the 17-40mm L for your crop, this can replace everything. Next to that, while the lens is stuck, you do not have to worry all that much about dust and sensor cleaning.

So let me do the calculation for you:
EFM 15-45mm kit : 200$
EFS 10-18mm : 150$
EFS 24mm : 80$
EFM 22mm : 150$
EFM 11-22mm : 350$
EFS 18-55mm : 80$
EF 17-40mmL : 600$

Total: 1610$. That is a lot money to be saved!

Add that with a hotshot, lens IS, internal ND filter and leave shutter and some digital IS and you have a killer option.

I'm genuinely curious to know if someone can be more delusional than you....

I don't believe someone would/can post a comment like this unless they are paid by canon.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
weird everyone crying about this.

the only APS-C compact camera that is current (the Ricoh is 4 years old now) is the Fuji X100F that goes for what.. $1299.

and this has a 24-70mm 2.8-5.6 zoom and not a 35mm 2.8 (equiv) prime.

The fuji has 1080p as well. Don't see many people whining about that camera. Heck dpreview gave it a gold award ;)

if canon does well on the lens front this will be a great little camera that is unmatched in the industry. People whine about canon not being innovative. This is an innovate camera. No one else makes something like this.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:

the only APS-C compact camera that is current (the Ricoh is 4 years old now) is the Fuji X100F that goes for what.. $1299.

The fuji has 1080p as well. Don't see many people whining about that camera. Heck dpreview gave it a gold award ;)

if canon does well on the lens front this will be a great little camera that is unmatched in the industry. People whine about canon not being innovative. This is an innovate camera. No one else makes something like this.

I think the problem is the EF-M 15-45mm lens. True it doesn't get the best reviews but how much smaller can this camera be than an M5 with the 15-45mm lens and how much better will the lens be? And will it be worth it to lose the versatility of switching lenses?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
HaroldC3 said:
rrcphoto said:

I think the problem is the EF-M 15-45mm lens. True it doesn't get the best reviews but how much smaller can this camera be than an M5 with the 15-45mm lens and how much better will the lens be? And will it be worth it to lose the versatility of switching lenses?

the EF-M 15-45 isn't an equivalent lens to something they can put into a compact. this was a unique patent from canon specifically designed for a compact camera, not the EF-M lens.

it takes a special person to start complaining about the lens quality before the camera is released ... no?

and it's a compact camera. it will be smaller than the M5 + 15-45 most likely. that's what you get. and if you don't like it, there's an M5 + 15-45.

It's also immaterial it's not as if you can't get a Fuji X-A3 + 23mm pancake instead of the X100F right?

it stands alone has the only APS-C zoom compact, and is rumored to sell for the same as the other high end APS-C compact - the X100F.

what exactly is wrong with the price again?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. If its too expensive then sales will be low, conversely if its not seen as too expensive Canon will make a better margin.

With compact camera sales dropping off a cliff since the advent of smart phones you can see why they are pushing the upper level you may not agree with it but from their perspective they have to make up the revenues & more importantly EBITDA somewhere.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
OK the pricing is steep, and early adopters will literally pay the price, but if this camera has a really stellar, relatively fast zoom lens that is more in the L zoom quality, ( if an a EFs L zoom existed) then this is a compact camera that really has huge scope without any quality compromises.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
OK the pricing is steep, and early adopters will literally pay the price, but if this camera has a really stellar, relatively fast zoom lens that is more in the L zoom quality, ( if an a EFs L zoom existed) then this is a compact camera that really has huge scope without any quality compromises.

For a 24-70mm (FF FoV equivalent) lens, is f/2.8-5.6 (likely with a relatively fast progression to the narrowest aperture) 'relatively fast'?

Upvote 0
This is indeed more than I was expecting and it changes it from something I would consider purchasing in the short term, to something I would wait to get discounted or skip entirely in favor of other options.

Previously I was thinking the ~15-45 f/1.8-3.5 speculation was optimistic, and it would really be ~15-45 f/2.8-5.6.
Perhaps at this price, there is reason to be optimistic about the speed of the lens?

On the other hand, ~15-45 f/2.8-5.6 still seems to be the more realistic option.

[Although technically 24-70 f/2.8-5.6 full frame equivalent might be ~15-45 f/1.8-3.5, I have never seen anyone outside of a forum, or the dpreview charts, talk about ff equivalent apertures, and so I'd full expect that it is really 24-70mm(ff equivalent), f/2.8-5.6.]

Weather sealing and good build quality perhaps help to justify the price, as would good IQ (sharpness) from whatever the lens ends up as.

Everything seems to come with a steep introductory price these days... EF 35 IS, M5, EF-S 35 macro.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Well, thanks for nothing Canon. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this camera to replace my trusty, old Powershot S100.

$1,299 is just too much for a Powershot camera. Had it been in the $8xx range, I would have immediately jumped on it. At $1,299... I'm going to continue looking around and maybe wait until Canon wakes up and sells them at fire-sale prices.

Ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
gmon750 said:
Well, thanks for nothing Canon. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this camera to replace my trusty, old Powershot S100.

$1,299 is just too much for a Powershot camera. Had it been in the $8xx range, I would have immediately jumped on it. At $1,299... I'm going to continue looking around and maybe wait until Canon wakes up and sells them at fire-sale prices.

Ridiculous.

Having had the G1X I and G1X II, and now a SL2, I'd say it blows away my older powershots. I like the slightly larger size too, and since I can make use of my lenses from other cameras, it ends up costing me less. It can be a telephoto with my 100-400L + 1.4 TC and focuses nicely with DPAF at 896mm equiv, or with a wide lens, I can get ultra wide that the G1X can't touch. A walk around like the 15-85 covers most usage.

When I first got it, I practiced with my solar filter but decided to go with my 1D MK IV because it could bracket 7 exposures. This shot is 400mm + 2X for a 1280mm equiv. 1/20 sec, ISO 400. no cropping was done. We were having poor weather, so the clouds may be seen and the halo around the sun is likely due to high clouds as well, I can't recall.

Attachments

• untitled0008.jpg
    untitled0008.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0