Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Camera & Accessory USD Pricing

bainsybike said:
Mistral75 said:
Leica X Vario was announced in June 2013. Its sensor is bigger than that of the PowerShot (APS-C with x1.5 crop factor vs x1.6) and its lens is a 18-46mm (equ. 28-70mm) f/3,5-6,4.
...and it cost $2,950 at the time.

Indeed, at $1,299 Canon still have a long way to go before closing the price gap with Leica. The Mark V or VI may be? :)

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
...- A wide angle APS-C lens 15-16mm @F2 is just what everybody wanted. Like the Fuji X-T1 with 14mm F2.8, 16mm F1.4 and 18mm F2. This camera just gives you that + IS.

I still don't get it why every body is complaining about the price. Yes it will be 1,2K$, But Fuji 14mm F2.8, 16mm, 18mm And Sony touit 12mm pushes all the alternatives in the 1000+ $ range as well.

I think that you're getting too optimistic about the lens, the rumour states:
"- Lens: equivalent 24-72 mm f/2.8-5.6"
But I think only the focal length is stated in terms of full frame (35mm) equivalence, not the aperture. If the lens was indeed a 15-45mm f/1.8-3.5, that would be superb news and well worth the asking price, but let's face the fact that this isn't going to happen within the size and weight specifications published on Nokishita...

So where does that leave your chosen lens comparisons? The G1XIII's lens will be nowhere near as wide as the 12mm Touit or 14mm XF Fujinon and two stops slower than the XF16mm f/1.4. The best that I think you can argue is that it is faster than the EF-M 15-45mm and hopefully a lot sharper.

Upvote 0
bainsybike said:
Mistral75 said:
Leica X Vario was announced in June 2013. Its sensor is bigger than that of the PowerShot (APS-C with x1.5 crop factor vs x1.6) and its lens is a 18-46mm (equ. 28-70mm) f/3,5-6,4.
...and it cost $2,950 at the time.

Leica live in a different world to everyone else. They are in the luxury lifestyle accessory business and you cannot compare them to a camera manufacturer like Canon. :D

I think the camera that Canon is pricing against is the Fuji X100F. They probably think that there is a demand from people who are looking for a large sensor compact but are put off by the Fuji's prime lens. The issues that I see with this thinking are:
[list type=decimal]
[*]How much the market currently still values "retro" design
[*]The "must have a zoom" crowd seem also to be the "must have a 24-105 equivalent zoom" crowd, judging by previous threads on CR Forums
[*]With such a conservative specification, it will be very easy for the likes of Fuji, Sony, or even Nikon to trump it (no reference to the incumbent POTUS, for once, but the forum autocorrect seems to be replacing his name with "Me_Me_Me"! I'm sure you can work out what I meant ;)) leaving Canon to fire sale the G1Xiii to move stock
[/list]

Will any of this matter? Doubt it, there always seem to be plenty of customers for Powershot cameras, even when competitors have superior products available. .

Upvote 0
traveller said:
BasXcanon said:
...- A wide angle APS-C lens 15-16mm @F2 is just what everybody wanted. Like the Fuji X-T1 with 14mm F2.8, 16mm F1.4 and 18mm F2. This camera just gives you that + IS.

I still don't get it why every body is complaining about the price. Yes it will be 1,2K$, But Fuji 14mm F2.8, 16mm, 18mm And Sony touit 12mm pushes all the alternatives in the 1000+ $ range as well.

But I think only the focal length is stated in terms of full frame (35mm) equivalence, not the aperture. If the lens was indeed a 15-45mm f/1.8-3.5, that would be superb news and well worth the asking price, but let's face the fact that this isn't going to happen within the size and weight specifications published on Nokishita...

So where does that leave your chosen lens comparisons? The G1XIII's lens will be nowhere near as wide as the 12mm Touit or 14mm XF Fujinon and two stops slower than the XF16mm f/1.4. The best that I think you can argue is that it is faster than the EF-M 15-45mm and hopefully a lot sharper.

I know a 12mm is more than a 15mm. But the difference is just too little to justify searching any further for lenses.
I dont do a lot of wide angle, but just want it for holiday pictures. The mentioned lenses needs to be applied with the 1.5 crop for a real comparison.

I had the Canon 28mm F2.8, but AF noise was too loud, then bought the Canon 28mm F1.8, but still focus sound in videos and not really that sharp wide open. Tried the 35mm F2 IS for a while, but never really felt like a wide angle.
Then I tried a 16-35mm F4, but found it too much of a lens to bring on vacation. Although others might have been very happy with.
Then I went on a expedition in the APS-C lens line up. Found the 17-55mm F2.8 too much money for a crop, so could not justify that one. The 24mm F2.8 really cannot get the out of focus background of a real 35mm, so I did not find it as multipurpose as some in this forum have mentioned. Found the 11-22mm too price compared to the 16-35mm F4 used lenses on the market. So tried the 10-18mm, but that didn't to the trick for me in indoor situations.
I considered getting the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, but the AF issues held me back.
Then I heard of the G5x and went in the store to test it. I liked its 24-50 range, but everything from the equivalent 50-100mm is. a waste of lens element and does not get stuff out of focus like a APSC dslr.

Then the M5 came, and I went to the store and tested it.
But everything around that camera is build to be SMALLER than the competition at the comprise of quality and usability.
I know you can get get the Samyang 8mm Fisheye for ultra cool wide, but don't need that on travel.
I know you can get the 18-35mm Sigma working with a adapter, but that can be done with my 80D as well.
I know you can get the Samyang 300mm F6.3 MF on there, but I already have a nice 70-200mm F4 with 1.4 TC
I know you can get the 28mm Light macro lens, but that one is too expensive compared to real 100mm macro lenses
I know you can get the 22mm F2, which is better than the 24mm F2.8, but that is not enough for me.
I know you can get the 15-45mm F3.6-6.3 but it is a slow lens and I don't like the lock mechanism.
I know you can get the sharp EFM11-22mm but it has the same issues for me as the 10-18mm STM.
I know you can get the EFM 18-150mm, but I never really used the 50-100 focal length zone.
I know you can get full AF coverage on mirrorless with Telecoverters, but the 7D stays the speedmonster for wildlife/sport, and that is what my other DSLRS are for.

The current M5 just always had the missing factor for me to buy it, which might be solved in the G1xM3 for me.
I know a real specialized FF lens on a 1DX will blow the G1xM3 out of their way, but it sounds like the G1xM3 has the right compromises for me. Even if it was 1k$ +

Upvote 0
Three pictures have been published on Nokishita Camera:

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/10/powershot-g1-x-mark-iii_44.html

5a8b28f7420ee069b27cd17125a02e98f6a0dea9af4ba454e7343baf5098d166.jpg

28f6a7cf46a987860042f85fcc66de90c8e6dce33423c5bc9b295d71cb14fb00.jpg

3bed9a90c3bc62df30e23fc3664bf44125f67782ef4ed261827d318619ce717b.jpg

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
traveller said:
BasXcanon said:

I know a 12mm is more than a 15mm. But the difference is just too little to justify searching any further for lenses.
I dont do a lot of wide angle, but just want it for holiday pictures. The mentioned lenses needs to be applied with the 1.5 crop for a real comparison.

I had the Canon 28mm F2.8, but AF noise was too loud, then bought the Canon 28mm F1.8, but still focus sound in videos and not really that sharp wide open. Tried the 35mm F2 IS for a while, but never really felt like a wide angle.
Then I tried a 16-35mm F4, but found it too much of a lens to bring on vacation. Although others might have been very happy with.
Then I went on a expedition in the APS-C lens line up. Found the 17-55mm F2.8 too much money for a crop, so could not justify that one. The 24mm F2.8 really cannot get the out of focus background of a real 35mm, so I did not find it as multipurpose as some in this forum have mentioned. Found the 11-22mm too price compared to the 16-35mm F4 used lenses on the market. So tried the 10-18mm, but that didn't to the trick for me in indoor situations.
I considered getting the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, but the AF issues held me back.
Then I heard of the G5x and went in the store to test it. I liked its 24-50 range, but everything from the equivalent 50-100mm is. a waste of lens element and does not get stuff out of focus like a APSC dslr.

Then the M5 came, and I went to the store and tested it.
But everything around that camera is build to be SMALLER than the competition at the comprise of quality and usability.
I know you can get get the Samyang 8mm Fisheye for ultra cool wide, but don't need that on travel.
I know you can get the 18-35mm Sigma working with a adapter, but that can be done with my 80D as well.
I know you can get the Samyang 300mm F6.3 MF on there, but I already have a nice 70-200mm F4 with 1.4 TC
I know you can get the 28mm Light macro lens, but that one is too expensive compared to real 100mm macro lenses
I know you can get the 22mm F2, which is better than the 24mm F2.8, but that is not enough for me.
I know you can get the 15-45mm F3.6-6.3 but it is a slow lens and I don't like the lock mechanism.
I know you can get the sharp EFM11-22mm but it has the same issues for me as the 10-18mm STM.
I know you can get the EFM 18-150mm, but I never really used the 50-100 focal length zone.
I know you can get full AF coverage on mirrorless with Telecoverters, but the 7D stays the speedmonster for wildlife/sport, and that is what my other DSLRS are for.

The current M5 just always had the missing factor for me to buy it, which might be solved in the G1xM3 for me.
I know a real specialized FF lens on a 1DX will blow the G1xM3 out of their way, but it sounds like the G1xM3 has the right compromises for me. Even if it was 1k$ +

From what you are stating your needs are, the following cameras will provide you with almost everything you desire (and in some cases, more) in terms of subject isolation that a G1Xiii will and for a fraction of the price:

Canon G5X
Panasonic LX100
Sony RX100 mark IV or V

If you don't understand why (and it looks like you don't considering the comment that you made and I have highlighted in red), then I suggest that you read this article before parting with hard earned cash: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

The only advantage that a G1Xiii would have based upon its lens-sensor combination, is dynamic range at low-ISO and even this advantage might be compromised by the fact that the current 24MP APS-C sensor underperforms somewhat in this respect:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Nikon-D7200-versus-Canon-PowerShot-G7-X___1076_1020_978 (Click "Measurements" then "Dynamic Range" to get beyond DXO's overly simplistic "scores").

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
BasXcanon said:
I liked its 24-50 range, but everything from the equivalent 50-100mm is. a waste of lens element and does not get stuff out of focus like a APSC dslr.

I do not get this the G5X X gives same results as a 15-62 mm f/3.0-4.7 lens on APS-C. It is better in controlling depth of field than a DSLR kit lens with a maximum aperture of 13 mm instead of 10 mm. Sure if you put a 50 mm f/1.8 on a DSLR it beats the G5X hands down (with a 28 mm aperture) but that's an unfair comparison.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BasXcanon said:
I dont do a lot of wide angle...

So, you know there's a difference but it doesn't matter to you, therefore it doesn't matter to anyone. Yeah, that makes sense. Been taking lessons from AvTvM? ::)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Love everything about this camera including the retro body style. Looks like my old Canon A1 from 35 years ago. The only thing I don't like is the price. It's such a huge jump from the previous generation. Otherwise I'd buy this thing without a second thought for a great compact all in one.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
BasXcanon said:
neuroanatomist said:
BasXcanon said:
So let me do the calculation for you:

Seems your math skills are ok, it's your logical skills that are woefully lacking.

Come on Neuro, those options are in the same vein,
it is just you being mad that this would be a better option than your beloved M6 + EFM 11-22mm

No, it's just you being completely obtuse. First off, there is a substantial difference between 11mm and 15mm (17.6 vs. 24 mm full frame FoV). So, a 15-44mm lens doesn't replace, much less constitute 'better than', an 11-xx lens. Different is not the same as better.

But even ignoring that simple fact, your list of lenses is ridiculous and asinine. If you want to make a proper calculation, this new PowerShot replaces the 15-45 + 22 or the 18-55 + 24 or the 17-40L. If you actually do believe (foolishly) that a wide angle is the same as an ultra wide, even then it's the 11-22 + 15-45 + 22 or the 10-18 + 18-55 + 24. Either way, not more than $700. Any way you slice it, this PowerShot is way overpriced.

All you've managed to demonstrate with your "calculation" is that you can add numbers…and maybe you needed a calculator to even do that.

Neuro, your logic is sound as always, your facts correct; but did you have to deliver it with an insult? You're the first in the thread to drag the tone down. I used to love reading your posts, please bring back the old neuro :)

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Since the compact camera is much smaller than a mirrorless or a DSLR with several lenses comparing their prices makes no sense. One should compare it to similar compact cameras like G5 X. I agree that it sounds over priced though but maybe the target buyers are those who do not worry about money. Someone who has an EOS M as their primary camera is not the target.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Mistral75 said:
okaro said:
(...)
This is to my knowledge the first compact with APS-C and zoom. (...)

Leica X Vario was announced in June 2013. Its sensor is bigger than that of the PowerShot (APS-C with x1.5 crop factor vs x1.6)

it's a 1.53 crop versus a 1.5 crop really making that entire point pretty moot and overblown yet again.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Quirkz said:
neuroanatomist said:
BasXcanon said:
neuroanatomist said:
BasXcanon said:
So let me do the calculation for you:

Seems your math skills are ok, it's your logical skills that are woefully lacking.

Come on Neuro, those options are in the same vein,
it is just you being mad that this would be a better option than your beloved M6 + EFM 11-22mm

No, it's just you being completely obtuse. First off, there is a substantial difference between 11mm and 15mm (17.6 vs. 24 mm full frame FoV). So, a 15-44mm lens doesn't replace, much less constitute 'better than', an 11-xx lens. Different is not the same as better.

But even ignoring that simple fact, your list of lenses is ridiculous and asinine. If you want to make a proper calculation, this new PowerShot replaces the 15-45 + 22 or the 18-55 + 24 or the 17-40L. If you actually do believe (foolishly) that a wide angle is the same as an ultra wide, even then it's the 11-22 + 15-45 + 22 or the 10-18 + 18-55 + 24. Either way, not more than $700. Any way you slice it, this PowerShot is way overpriced.

All you've managed to demonstrate with your "calculation" is that you can add numbers…and maybe you needed a calculator to even do that.

Neuro, your logic is sound as always, your facts correct; but did you have to deliver it with an insult? You're the first in the thread to drag the tone down. I used to love reading your posts, please bring back the old neuro :)
The first? This camera has been dogged a hundred times before he chimed in. Myself? I kind of like it. ;)

Upvote 0