Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Coming Mid October [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve finally have an approximate announcement date for the upcoming Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III, we’re told that it will be announced in mid October. Looking at the calendar, Tuesday, October 17, 2017 looks like a good “mid October” guess. Give or take a week on either side of this date. Canon generally announces on a Tuesday, but sometimes does so on a Friday as well.</p>
<p>While we’ve nailed down when we can expect to see it announced, specifications are still not [CR3].</p>

<p><strong><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specifications-cr1/">Rumored Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications</a>: [CR1]</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>24mp APS-C Sensor (The PowerShot G1 X Mark II was 1.5″ sensor)</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>24-120mm lens (35mm equivalent)</li>
</ul>
<p>We do not know for sure if another G series PowerShot will be announced alongside the PowerShot G1 X Mark III.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
That's a good sensor, so Canon might as well use it in as many cameras as possible. I'm going to give the Mark III some serious consideration as an upgrade from my old S100 pocket camera.

But first I will need to see the price and actually hold one in my hand to see if the size and weight are within the range I need for a casual carry camera that will shoot RAW.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
drmikeinpdx said:
That's a good sensor, so Canon might as well use it in as many cameras as possible. I'm going to give the Mark III some serious consideration as an upgrade from my old S100 pocket camera.

But first I will need to see the price and actually hold one in my hand to see if the size and weight are within the range I need for a casual carry camera that will shoot RAW.

Agree. I'm also a (happy) S100 owner. I use mine primarily for casual underwater photography when I'm not in the mood to haul my 5DM3 and it's huge housing. My S100 is showing its age, and while it's been a great performer, it's time to upgrade to a larger sensor. I'm keeping an eye on this new model as it has everything I'm looking for in a point and click.

Upvote 0
APS-C sensor is a huge selling point. I had a couple other point and shoots just to carry around, but was never happy with the small sensor image quality until I got the original M on sale (with pancake lens). Very happy with quality and build, but lack of viewfinder and built-in flash is somewhat annoying.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
gmon750 said:
drmikeinpdx said:

Agree. I'm also a (happy) S100 owner. I use mine primarily for casual underwater photography when I'm not in the mood to haul my 5DM3 and it's huge housing. My S100 is showing its age, and while it's been a great performer, it's time to upgrade to a larger sensor. I'm keeping an eye on this new model as it has everything I'm looking for in a point and click.

This is Canon- of course they're going to use it in as many cameras as possible! I'd buy it if it shoots decent 4K. Used to love my S100 until it died.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
A G1X 3 with DP-AF APS-C sensor and a decent zoom lens is the only option i see in late 2017 for such a camera. Basically an EOS M& or M100 without lens-mount.

interested to see the choices Canon makes:
* probably no built-in EVF [like EOS M6/M100] ...
* lens? focal range / aperture / size ? My guess: "re-used" EF-M 15-45 /3.5-5.6 ... no way it's going to be a f/1.8-2.8 APS-C zoom or an EF-M 18-150 bolted onto a Powershot body
* what overall size / weight? can it possibly be much more compact than EOS M100 with 15-45?
* user interface: control points: still no front wheel and no multi-functional ring around lens base?
* user interface: flippy LCD ... presumably the same as in G1X II [= not fully articulated]
* 4k for sure, but "how much, how good"? [not that I personally would care ;-) ]
* price ... depending on options chosen and compared to EOS M100/M6/M5 ... and compared to Sony RX100 V and other 1" sensored zoom cams ...

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
AvTvM said:
A G1X 3 with DP-AF APS-C sensor and a decent zoom lens is the only option i see in late 2017 for such a camera. Basically an EOS M& or M100 without lens-mount.

* lens? focal range / aperture / size ? My guess: "re-used" EF-M 15-45 /3.5-5.6 ... no way it's going to be a f/1.8-2.8 APS-C zoom or an EF-M 18-150 bolted onto a Powershot body

So slow a lens would make no sense. Currently G1 XII 6.25 mm aperture at 24 mm equiv. G7 X II has 4.9 mm. The EF-M 15-45 mm has 4.3 mm. Choosing f/3.5 would mean one stop loss compared to mark II. It has to be better than f/2.8, ideally f/2.0.

There are extra freedoms in making a lens for a compact camera as one has not to worry about distortions. They are fixed with software. This is what the original G1 X produced (the one in right):

https://www.dxomark.com/itext/review_canon_powershot_g1_x_lens/degree_of_distortion.jpg

Note that there is no reason why same could not be done on MILCs as long as the issue is decided when the mount is introduced. Introducing it lager would require updates to old cameras. On a DSLR it would create problem with the viewfinder image. There is no way to correct it.

Because of the software correction the camera will probably have some extra crop.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
drmikeinpdx said:

Isn't that a pretty strange upgrade. The G1 X III is probably in the 600 gram range when S100 is about 200 grams.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

* what overall size / weight? can it possibly be much more compact than EOS M100 with 15-45?
* user interface: control points: still no front wheel and no multi-functional ring around lens base?
* user interface: flippy LCD ... presumably the same as in G1X II [= not fully articulated]
* 4k for sure, but "how much, how good"? [not that I personally would care ;-) ]
* price ... depending on options chosen and compared to EOS M100/M6/M5 ... and compared to Sony RX100 V and other 1" sensored zoom cams ...

I think you're correct with the camera Canon will produce and I'm sure it will go down well with their target audience. For me to purchase this camera, I would require:
  • Decent EVF
  • Wide aperture prime or zoom lens (I can't see the advantage of an APS-C over a 1" sensor, if they pair it with a slow zoom)
  • Dump the Powershot interface for EOS interface (what's the point of buying a Canon if the controls & menus are different to my DSLR?)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
okaro said:

So slow a lens would make no sense. Currently G1 XII 6.25 mm aperture at 24 mm equiv. G7 X II has 4.9 mm. The EF-M 15-45 mm has 4.3 mm. Choosing f/3.5 would mean one stop loss compared to mark II. It has to be better than f/2.8, ideally f/2.0. There are extra freedoms in making a lens for a compact camera as one has not to worry about distortions. They are fixed with software.
[/quote]

Even then I don't think a 15-45 / 16-50 / 18-55 zoom lens for APS-C with f/2.8 could be made small enough for a G1X type camera. Even less so with f/2.0 or greater focal range.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
traveller said:
I think you're correct with the camera Canon will produce and I'm sure it will go down well with their target audience. For me to purchase this camera, I would require:
  • Decent EVF
  • Wide aperture prime or zoom lens (I can't see the advantage of an APS-C over a 1" sensor, if they pair it with a slow zoom)
  • Dump the Powershot interface for EOS interface (what's the point of buying a Canon if the controls & menus are different to my DSLR?)

Well, even as "flagship" and sold at "premium" price, it WILL be a Powershot ... with a dumbed Powershot user interface. No expectations along those lines.

As far as lens goes ... say a 4x zoom for APS-C ... e.g. 15-60mm [24-90mm FOV eq.] ... now how small would that be, when rear element is stuck into camera body right back to the sensor and all sorts of in-camera electronic image corrections are applied ?

A. f/2.8-f/5.6 ... mainly for marketing purposes "F/2.8 !"
B. f/4.0 ... constant aperture ... good for video
C. f/3.5-5.6 ... for smallest size & weight

I expect Canon to implement option C., although I'd personally prefer B.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
AvTvM said:
okaro said:
So slow a lens would make no sense. Currently G1 XII 6.25 mm aperture at 24 mm equiv. G7 X II has 4.9 mm. The EF-M 15-45 mm has 4.3 mm. Choosing f/3.5 would mean one stop loss compared to mark II. It has to be better than f/2.8, ideally f/2.0. There are extra freedoms in making a lens for a compact camera as one has not to worry about distortions. They are fixed with software.

Even then I don't think a 15-45 / 16-50 / 18-55 zoom lens for APS-C with f/2.8 could be made small enough for a G1X type camera. Even less so with f/2.0 or greater focal range.

Then they should make it bigger. It makes no sense to make a camera twice the weight of G7 X without it significantly outperforming it. G7 X has APS C equivalence of f/3.0-4.7. G1 X II has f/2.4-4.6. They would need to get to the f/2.5-4.5 range at minimum for it to make sense.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:

the 15-43 2-4 patent looked like it could be small enough, but it's also a matter of weight.

however if it's a 24-120mm - it's going to be slow, it has to be. that's around the 15-85mm size of lens. even the M 18-55 is too big when you think about it, and it gets to around 10mm to the front of the sensor.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
tianxiaozhang said:
60p 4K and 120p 1080p would be really useful...

LOL.
for you maybe.. for the rest of the world, not so much.

it's not going to have 4K.

LOL- speak for yourself. Despite those on this forum who are disinterested in 4K, one of the biggest consumer electronics companies in the world just released a 4K TV product. Knowing Canon's conservative mindset, this camera probably won't have 4K, but it's a shame because myself and many other Canon fans will not buy it and it will not be future proof. For me, it will be DOA.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
tianxiaozhang said:
60p 4K and 120p 1080p would be really useful...

LOL.
for you maybe.. for the rest of the world, not so much.

it's not going to have 4K.

LOL- speak for yourself. Despite those on this forum who are disinterested in 4K, one of the biggest consumer electronics companies in the world just released a 4K TV product.

ahhh so?

what does that have to do with a compact aps-c camera? nothing.

it won't it. no current generation asp-c has it. this won't. it's common sense, versus continually whining.

Get over yourself and 4k. go get a 4k camera and just. leave. there's lots out there. if 4K was so important to you, why don't you move and have one already? since you haven't. and you stick around here all the time, it's obviously not that important to you and you just like to sound important.

and if you think apple is one of the largest electronic consumer companies in the world you really need the brain cells to be firing a little faster. Consumer electronics are more than just smartphones. FYI. and apple TV? important? oh please.

and this is a compact camera for photographers. not for 4k wannabe's.

Upvote 0