Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Sample Images

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
PhotographyBlog has posted some sample images from a beta version of the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III.</p>

<p>They have provided plenty of JPG (resized to 90% of original size, as requested by Canon) and RAW files, along with a sample video. <a href="http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/canon_powershot_g1_x_mark_iii_photos">Check out the samples here</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 28, 2015
Normalnorm said:
Those images are useless.
The only thing that they show is that the photographer missed the point of creating sample images.

That always seems to happen on camera launches. Given that they allow professionals to pressure-test the camera before release, you would have thought they would be able to find some good images to showcase it.

Upvote 0
Will add my 2 cents here........

First, while I use a SLR for paying jobs I rent these days. For all personal shooting I've given up hauling big cameras, lenses, flashes etc. For two years now it's been a Canon G7X and now Mark II plus my iPhone 6s Plus.

The G1X III camera having an APS-C sensor in a G5X body is pretty amazing in my book. If you've held a G5X you know how small it is which means you might actually take it with you. Anything larger I just can't bear to haul and an iPhone (or Samsung) with even one App, Snapseed will make photos you'll be thrilled with.

As to the gripes about no 4K and a slow limited range lens......I don't own a 4K TV and that spec requires more data storage, etc. It's meaningless at least to me. The lens f-stops don't mean anything either as software can de-focus backgrounds, etc.

The weather proofing IS a big deal to me. Being an underwater photographer and dealer for Fantasea compact and Ikelite underwater housings means any camera to be used around water having seals is a huge plus.

Finally, the price.....While not wanting to be an early adopter paying top $$$$$ I weigh the benefit of getting a new easily transportable and usable tool versus the new images I'll be able to capture with it over years I keep equipment.

Believe I'm not awash in $$$$ but since going to rehab for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome :) many years ago having less has worked for me.....I'd rather maximize the capability of one tool and simply enjoy photography.

I'll bet many will buy this camera for the small size and larger sensor. Hopefully the 3X zoom lens and features delivers great photos and full reviews will tell.

To each his own!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
dhaas said:
First, while I use a SLR for paying jobs I rent these days. For all personal shooting I've given up hauling big cameras, lenses, flashes etc. For two years now it's been a Canon G7X and now Mark II plus my iPhone 6s Plus. . . .

The weather proofing IS a big deal to me. Being an underwater photographer and dealer for Fantasea compact and Ikelite underwater housings means any camera to be used around water having seals is a huge plus.
. . .
To each his own!

I don't have paying gigs, but have just bought a 6D2 for fun and recreation. I will still use the G7X II as my travel camera, and will always have my iPhone 6S (not plus sized) with me. The G1 X III is of interest to me, but I think the G7X II is about as big as I want to handle in traveling. It won't fit in my shirt pocket like the S120 did, but does OK in pants or jacket pocket. Weather proofing is not an issue with me, in that if the weather is bad, I'm not going to be out in it myself, much less the camera. Same for under water, other than I signed up for a submarine ride in Hawaii.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rrcphoto said:
jolyonralph said:
> (resized to 90% of original size, as requested by Canon)

Guess they aren't that confident about their test samples yet

or it's like any other canon releases, and websites aren't allowed to publish full sized examples until it's available.

but good on you wearing a tin foil hat ::)

Good on you both for not noticing that Canon also provided the RAW .CR2 files for download. Therefore, the minor size reduction of the jpgs is completely irrelevant. So if you want to accuse Canon of making a silly request, that's a fair accusation. But blathering on about lack of confidence in test images and not publishing full sized examples just makes you both look even sillier than Canon...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
jolyonralph said:

or it's like any other canon releases, and websites aren't allowed to publish full sized examples until it's available.

Good on you both for not noticing that Canon also provided the RAW .CR2 files for download

canon didn't provide anything here. these were posted from an eval camera (obviously) and were not canon supplied images and it's been canon's policy since the dawn of time that you can't post full sized images. perhaps RAWs are a way around that, but it certainly has nothing to do with the quality.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
dhaas said:

First, while I use a SLR for paying jobs I rent these days. For all personal shooting I've given up hauling big cameras, lenses, flashes etc. For two years now it's been a Canon G7X and now Mark II plus my iPhone 6s Plus.

The G1X III camera having an APS-C sensor in a G5X body is pretty amazing in my book. If you've held a G5X you know how small it is which means you might actually take it with you. Anything larger I just can't bear to haul and an iPhone (or Samsung) with even one App, Snapseed will make photos you'll be thrilled with.

As to the gripes about no 4K and a slow limited range lens......I don't own a 4K TV and that spec requires more data storage, etc. It's meaningless at least to me. The lens f-stops don't mean anything either as software can de-focus backgrounds, etc.

Finally, the price.....While not wanting to be an early adopter paying top $$$$$ I weigh the benefit of getting a new easily transportable and usable tool versus the new images I'll be able to capture with it over years I keep equipment.

Believe I'm not awash in $$$$ but since going to rehab for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome :) many years ago having less has worked for me.....I'd rather maximize the capability of one tool and simply enjoy photography.

I'll bet many will buy this camera for the small size and larger sensor. Hopefully the 3X zoom lens and features delivers great photos and full reviews will tell.

To each his own!

Nice post, and I agree with it. This camera is starting to interest me more and more. Also, the "Touch and Drag AF" feature seems really cool!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
jolyonralph said:

Good on you both for not noticing that Canon also provided the RAW .CR2 files for download

canon didn't provide anything here. these were posted from an eval camera (obviously) and were not canon supplied images and it's been canon's policy since the dawn of time that you can't post full sized images. perhaps RAWs are a way around that, but it certainly has nothing to do with the quality.

Your point was that Canon supposedly doesn't allow websites to publish full sized images, but RAW files are (obviously) full sized images, because they're, well...RAW files. So either Canon told PhotographyBlog not to publish full sized images and they did so anyway (in which case they'll likely never receive another evaluation unit), or Canon allowed the publication of full size images.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
dhaas said:

To each his own!

Well said.. I'm in a similar position. After the shock of its asking price and cooling down a bit, I am eyeing this camera to replace my old Powershot S100 that I use for casual underwater photography. My 5DM3 and huge aquatica housing is becoming more burdensome to travel with as airlines are becoming more restrictive with electronics. My S100 and Ikelite case were so easy to pack along in my backpack.

The gripes of people here and in other threads have become such a bore, the funniest being the cosmetic look at the camera itself, like I really care how it looks.

I think it's going to be a very popular camera now. I think Canon may be on to something here as well and that others will follow with a big sensor in a point-click camera.

I realize that the big piece of silicon for the sensor is what makes the camera so expensive. Can't get around economics I suppose and I think once people accept that, it'll be easier to understand the pricing of this camera.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I'm a FF user who bought an M3 and all the lenses to have a smaller travel kit, but I also have a G1X. After a year or so I ended up selling the M because if I used it with the adapter and better lenses I began to think 'why didn't I just take the 5D', and if I had just a standard zoom I'd be thinking 'why don't I just take the G1X'.

OK, it would be nice if this aps-c G1XIII had an f/2-4 lens but no doubt Canon are saving this for the G1XIV. But the reality is that this camera will have huge scope in general photography without sacrificing any quality, especially if the lens is stellar, and I'm hoping that given the asking price it will be.

This is bringing us into a time where a landscape photographer could go out with a 'point and shoot' fixed lens pocket camera and produce images through stitching three vertical frames together that would be pretty well indistinguishable from someone with a £10,000 DMF kit. Scary !

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Sporgon said:
This is bringing us into a time where a landscape photographer could go out with a 'point and shoot' fixed lens pocket camera and produce images through stitching three vertical frames together that would be pretty well indistinguishable from someone with a £10,000 DMF kit. Scary !

There was the article on Luminous Landscape a few years ago where Michael Reichmann took the same image using a Haselblad and the G9 (I think it was) and in most cases at 'sensible' print sizes his friends were unable to tell the difference with any reliability without really close examination.
So I fully imagine this new model with its larger sensor to carry on that tradition.

Upvote 0