Canon PowerShot G5 X at Canon USA

AvTvM said:
ashmadux said:
AvTvM said:
Sure winner of ugliest camera of the year award! :eek:

Exaggerate much? Looks like a workhorse.

to me it looks "pseudo retro". Which is the worst thing possible for me. Like Nikon Df. On analogue cameras those knobs, levers and wheels and their arrangement had a specific purpose. Design did follow function. Not here.

That said, I wish Canon had stuck that EVF into a fully competitive EOS M4 rather than into a powershot!

The knurled dials actually have significant function in Canon's G-series. They enable excellent function while in a water housing - allowing for rapid manipulation of settings under water and in surf. They give a positive engagement that gives the user an ability to watch the environment rather than the camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
SloPhoto said:
AvTvM said:
ashmadux said:
AvTvM said:

Exaggerate much? Looks like a workhorse.

to me it looks "pseudo retro". Which is the worst thing possible for me. Like Nikon Df. On analogue cameras those knobs, levers and wheels and their arrangement had a specific purpose. Design did follow function. Not here.

That said, I wish Canon had stuck that EVF into a fully competitive EOS M4 rather than into a powershot!

The knurled dials actually have significant function in Canon's G-series. They enable excellent function while in a water housing - allowing for rapid manipulation of settings under water and in surf. They give a positive engagement that gives the user an ability to watch the environment rather than the camera.

Aha! I see - excellent point, very well made! thanks!

Upvote 0
Adelino said:
dolina said:
Buy a smartphone. You'll use it more often.

I wouldn't. But I recognize I am in the minority.

I had an HTC with a miserable camera and finally switched to iPhone 6+ the day before yesterday. It is totally a different story. It takes good enough photos and video, I can use it to read books, scan documents and believe or not, call people and send them emails and SMS with pictures on them.

My Real Camera is a 5DIII which is for another kind of picture taking. For snapshots it is very difficult to recommend anything else than a smartphone to somebody who just wants the pictures. It is so ridiculously easy and the results are good.

edit: I even have the Photographer's Ephemeris and Google Maps on my iPhone and I can use it as the Smart Trigger launcher for my 5DIII. Now they are selling wide angle and macro lenses for the iPhone as well so if you like to change lenses instead of taking pictures, it is possible also. Or play Candy Crunch Saga...

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It's hard to gauge it's size. The other new powershot seems small. It would be interesting to see it next to this one.
I don't think it's ugly, it looks like a camera. For it to have an optical view finder it needs to have some sort of upper bump. I'd prefer the black colour myself. Depending on its size I may be interested in it.
I wrecked my G12 by putting it in my pocket. I scratches the lens off the doors in front of the lens.
I am wondering if it's a similar size.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Hector1970 said:
I don't think it's ugly, it looks like a camera. For it to have an optical view finder it needs to have some sort of upper bump. ...

Have to disagree here. Ugly hump on top not needed vor EVF. Can easily be built into camera. Even with additional functionality like 90 degree swivel viefinder. If Canon is not innovative enough to figure it out, they should just look at how Sony implemented it on the A6000.

z-sony-a6000-inhand-600px.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
AvTvM said:
Have to disagree here. Ugly hump on top not needed vor EVF. Can easily be built into camera. Even with additional functionality like 90 degree swivel viefinder. If Canon is not innovative enough to figure it out, they should just look at how Sony implemented it on the A6000.
I understand that you didn't realize that A6000 is a bit bigger than G5X, and it also has a smaller screen. ;)
Maybe you should try with RX100 III.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
martti said:
My Real Camera is a 5DIII which is for another kind of picture taking. For snapshots it is very difficult to recommend anything else than a smartphone to somebody who just wants the pictures. It is so ridiculously easy and the results are good.

For some, the "real camera" is something like the G line. For example my sister finds most DSLR too bulky and likes this kind of cameras which are still more versatile than a phone. She likes some "macro-like" shoots, and the tilting screen is something she likes very much.

Moreover she hates an incoming call may disrupt a photo - it happened to her while using a phone. Also, she prefer to buy a cheaper phone and a more expensive camera, because the former for several reason becomes obsolete far sooner than a camera, and I agree with her (also, I like small smartphones far easier to store in a pocket).

There's also the storage issue, especially with models that can't use SD cards - load some music, maps and other files, and soon the available storage may be too little to shoot for a while (especially now with far larger image sizes).

It's a while there have been lens add-ons for iPhones - there's the obsolescence factor there as well, there's the risk they work on the actual model and not the next one - and they're still a third party "hack".

I believe this cameras and phones are still in different segments, although it's true a lot of people will be happy with a phone only.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
AvTvM said:
Have to disagree here. Ugly hump on top not needed vor EVF. Can easily be built into camera.

He wrote "optical" - maybe he didn't notice it is an EVF. Actually, you can put an EVF wherever you like - which position is most ergonomic may be debatable. Some people prefer to use always one eye to aim, for many reasons, and the position of the viewfinder may make it more or less comfortable.

Moreover, many mirrorless mimic the SLR design, probably because many people are accustomed to it.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
AvTvM said:
Hector1970 said:
I don't think it's ugly, it looks like a camera. For it to have an optical view finder it needs to have some sort of upper bump. ...

z-sony-a6000-inhand-600px.jpg
I wouldn't agree that the A6000 has a good position for an electronic viewfinder. Besides the A6000 being slightly bigger etc. Sony themselves with A7's their more high end have it central so they must think its a better position.
The Fuji X100s has an electronic viewfinder in a similar position and I don't think its a good one. You sort have to use your left eye or have very little steadiness if you use your right eye. On a DSLR I predominately use my right eye. I'm not sure if that's just me or common. Central is better for me and I'd take a bump on top for that. It also contains the flash. I'd be happy with the design of it. I think it looks good.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
dickgrafixstop said:
Now, take the design team for the G5X and reassign them to the EOS-M team. The G5X with an aps sensor
and an M mount would make a desirable camera.

Oh no, they would turn the EOS-M into a fugly humpback whale monster as well. Canon should rather hire the Sony A6000 design and AF teams and the Samsung NX-1 sensor team and fire all those Powershot losers.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Mr1Dx said:
LDS said:
AvTvM said:

Yes, it looks too much like a Sony...

What Sony mirrorless are you referring to?

Probably a reference to sony A7 styling which also has an ungainly hump on top - but overall not as ugly and disproportionate as G5X.

I was referring to the excellent design of Sony A6000 and RX100 series, especially Mk. iII and IV. I want a rangefinder-type styling - with EVF not in central hump but left top corner. Basically a cross between EOS-M3 (i like the good grip up front) and Sony A6000 (EVF top left).

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2015
AvTvM said:
Mr1Dx said:
LDS said:
AvTvM said:

Yes, it looks too much like a Sony...

What Sony mirrorless are you referring to?

Probably a reference to sony A7 styling which also has an ungainly hump on top - but overall not as ugly and disproportionate as G5X.

I was referring to the excellent design of Sony A6000 and RX100 series, especially Mk. iII and IV. I want a rangefinder-type styling - with EVF not in central hump but left top corner. Basically a cross between EOS-M3 (i like the good grip up front) and Sony A6000 (EVF top left).

All my DSLR gear is Canon. I have couple A7 series bodies and few Canon compact bodies. I would vote this as an "ugliest camera of the year"

Upvote 0