Canon Price Drops on L Lenses

Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
<div style="float: right; margin:0 0 76px 0px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/17133/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/canon-ef-11-24-f2-8l-coming-cr1/" target="_blank">mentioned a few weeks ago that Canon would be dropping the price on various L lenses around September 1, 2014</a>. Both B&H Photo and Adorama have switched over to the new Canon pricing.

what i find interesting (and that none of the canon and industry experts in this thread) have weighed in on - is from the original rumor - the person mentioned BOTH this AND the 11-24 2.8L for 2800.

does that give further assurance of the 11-24? possibly yes?

Upvote 0
One Canon L lens has already dropped in price dramatically in the UK. The 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM has dropped around £200 from most mainstream retailers over the past couple of weeks, from an earlier price of around £1800. Today John Lewis, a very established and respectable UK chain department store, are offering this lens for £1019 - a staggering reduction of almost £800 on the price they were selling it for three weeks back.

When I saw the listing on Camera Price Buster (an excellent UK price comparison site), I couldn't believe it, so I went to the JL website to check and it's there. If I had a thousand pounds, I'd be buying one today. Sadly I haven't. It looks like the deal of a lifetime for us poor UK shutterbugs, who generally pay much higher prices for our Canon gear than our US counterparts.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-09-02 at 10.41.47.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-02 at 10.41.47.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
A brief follow up - the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that the John Lewis website screen shot shows the item as now being shown as 'out of stock' (surprise, surprise!). John Lewis' motto is 'never knowingly undersold' and I have managed to get them to price match their own advertised prices on out of stock Canon items in the past when they come back into stock. It all depends on the price that is being quoted in-store. The price matching only applies to goods available on the high street and not to internet pricing.

This is a very reputable company, not some fly-by-night 'bait and switch' set-up.

Upvote 0
A further update - I have just phoned my local John Lewis branch (Cribbs Causeway by Bristol). Customer services have confirmed that they are completely out of stock of the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM but could put an order in for me and the price of the lens, when it arrives, would be £1019. This is apparently now the current John Lewis price for this lens both on the internet and in-store.

Amazing!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
It's the dawning of the age of aquarius .. good old EF is dying ... new native short flangeback lenses for mirrorless FF are on the horizon ... or maybe even around the corner. :)

Canon has to lower lens prices, because so many people like myself are not interested in big mirrorslappers any longer.

Say hello to Peter Pan and Tinkerbell for us while you're visiting Neverland, ok?

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
It's the dawning of the age of aquarius .. good old EF is dying ... new native short flangeback lenses for mirrorless FF are on the horizon ... or maybe even around the corner. :)

Canon has to lower lens prices, because so many people like myself are not interested in big mirrorslappers any longer.

Then the EF system must have been really dead some years back when lens prices where even lower. For example, in 2008, I bought the 135L for around $950. I bought another one in 2013 for $900. Its current price is $1049 -- after the price drop. Mirrorless must have been really hot back then. ;-)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
I have to agree that the age of DSLRs is coming to a close. Canon knows it and I suspect the recent price cut is to clear their in-house stock.

Look at the latest CIPA numbers:

Ratio of DSLR to MILC shipped between Jan and July 2014:
Worlwide = 3.23:1
Japan =1.52:1
America (North and South) = 5.5:1 (WOW, WOW, WOW...)
Europe = 4.6:1 (WOW, WOW, WOW...)

Compare that ratio to Jan - Dec 2013:
Worlwide = 4.18:1
Japan =1.63:1
America (North and South) = 8.9:1 (drastic drop in 2014.. WOW)
Europe = 7.1:1

In the MILC arena, Sony is the current leader... Olympus, Panasonic and the rest are left in the dust. Nikon, of course, made a huge blunder with their tiny 1-series camera sensors but there is still time for Canon to change their course....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Woody said:
I have to agree that the age of DSLRs is coming to a close. Canon knows it and I suspect the recent price cut is to clear their in-house stock.

LOL. Sure, price cuts can help clear inventory. Your implication that the cause is the upcoming predominance of mirrorless is, quite simply, ridiculous.

As for your CIPA comparison of 1H14 to 1H13 – keep in mind that the major players in mirrorless have all released new models this year, whereas the #1 dSLR maker has not released a new consumer model so far 2014. I think you're making too much of a short-term trend.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
As for your CIPA comparison of 1H14 to 1H13 – keep in mind that the major players in mirrorless have all released new models this year, whereas the #1 dSLR maker has not released a new consumer model so far 2014. I think you're making too much of a short-term trend.
Yep, no new xxxD, xxD, or xD camera from Canon would certainly affect short term sales, probably in the same way the T5i, 70D, and 6D (actually being available closer to Dec 2012) coming out in 2013 boosted that years sales for Canon. What were the ratios in 2012 and 2011? Not to mention, ratios that are 3:1, 4:1, etc are still pretty massive...you're talking several years at your presumed shrinking pace til they'd be 1:1

edit: Yeah, so, the 3 year trend line pretty much shows mirrorless as a steady niche, and DSLR sales heavily dependent on new cameras coming out (notice the sharp drop after Photokina announced cameras have been sold a few months). When Canon and Nikon both release entire new lines of cameras (2012 and 2013), sales are seasonal but steady. When they dont, they slump.

Id also say there is a clearly slight decline in DSLR sales as a total trend, but its hard to attribute that to mirror less. Could be the lack of big improvements in DSLRs...could be world economies...could be distribution delays carrying over from 2012

large_Bildschirmfoto_2014-08-04_um_11.09.06.png

Upvote 0
Come on people, these "price drops" are just pure marketing! Who here ever buys Canon lenses at full MSRP? Don't you all wait for those "deals" like instant rebates and mail in rebates?

The MSRP prices are always artificially high, so when they are lowered you feel all warm and fuzzy dropping 1600 on a new lens- but at least you "saved" 100 bucks!

The sky isn't falling. This has nothing to do with Sony's magical sensors, or Sigma's world beating lenses, or mirrorless taking over... It's just marketing.

The point of marketing to boost sales.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Sigma/art is hurting canon lens sales.
Refusal to buy new lenses unless canon releases new bodies first also hurts canon lens sales.
People switching to Sony a7/r/s hurt canon lens sales.
People switching to mirrorless fuji x system hurt canon lens sales.
People like myself refusing to buy anything new from canon until they deliver a fully competitive ff mirrorless system .. Hurt canon lens sales...

Enough so to force 10% Price cuts across major parts of the lens lineup. Hehe. Just love it. No more aggressive price hikes in order to boost profits despite falling number of units sold. Canon clearly in the defense due to their strategy to try to only offer fat old mirrorslappers instead of groundbreaking, truly dihital mirroless interchanheable lens cameras and native lenses for them. Hehe. Just love it. Hehehe!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
AvTvM said:
Refusal to buy new lenses unless canon releases new bodies first also hurts canon lens sales.
People like myself refusing to buy anything new from canon until they deliver a fully competitive ff mirrorless system .. Hurt canon lens sales...

Enough so to force 10% Price cuts across major parts of the lens lineup. Hehe. Just love it. No more aggressive price hikes in order to boost profits despite falling number of units sold. Canon clearly in the defense due to their strategy to try to only offer fat old mirrorslappers instead of groundbreaking, truly dihital mirroless interchanheable lens cameras and native lenses for them. Hehe. Just love it. Hehehe!

LOL....I almost have to wipe off my espresso from the screen ;D

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
AvTvM said:

Yeah...like those Canon mirrorless cameras are just RUSHING out the doors, hard to find one left to buy....[rolls eyes]

;)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

Not really. I don't know any professionals who work in the field that are using them. I'm on my third 35 art lens, and looking to replace it as soon as possible. The optics may be good, but the durability is a major concern. My autofocus has crapped out multiple times just being in humid weather. They aren't made for pros, just amateurs who want something better than low end Canon gear. I guess it's fine for pros working the studio, but for the majority of us working photojournalists, its a waste of money. God bless L glass. It takes a beating and keeps working.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
johnb said:
A further update - I have just phoned my local John Lewis branch (Cribbs Causeway by Bristol). Customer services have confirmed that they are completely out of stock of the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM but could put an order in for me and the price of the lens, when it arrives, would be £1019. This is apparently now the current John Lewis price for this lens both on the internet and in-store.

Amazing!

This is price of 70=200 2.8 non is

Upvote 0