Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
mb66energy said:
EOS 5D iv prices:
US: 3500 $ Germany: 4065 EUR = 4500 $

EOS 5Ds R:
US 3700 $ Germany: 3700 EUR = 4070 $

The newly introduced 5D iv is much more expensive (here in Germany) compared to the prices in the US while the prices of 5Ds R are at least comparable.

Yeah, unless the 5D4 price here in Europe doesn't drop substantially, I'll get my 5D3 repaired when its shutter will be broken (120.000 actuations so far) or get a new or refurbished replacement 5D3 then. I can live well with my 5D3, I know its main weaknesses (shadow banding, sub optimal metering system) and I still believe that most settings in which you need 15 stops of DR are simply bad photography. And if I'd need good 4k video I'd go for Panasonic anyway...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Woody said:
Woody said:
So, from Jan to Sep 2016, Canon has sold 3.89 million (Q1=1.02M, Q2=1.5M, Q3=1.37M) ILCs.

Waiting for CIPA numbers for the same period... so that we can estimate Canon's market share so far... (the first half of 2016 has seen Canon dominating the ILC market with nearly 50% market share).

CIPA's worldwide shipment numbers from Jan to Sep 2016 is out:

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201609_e.pdf

Total number is 8,068,085.

So, Canon's shipment of 3.89 million ILCs in the same period translates into 48% market shares.

Not too shabby.

All those Canon haters on DPR working so hard, posting thousands of troll comments, and obviously they all wasted their energy for nothing ;D. Poor boys (pretty sure they all are male), Canon still performs quite well in a difficult market. Good news for us Canon users, because it looks like the system will remain stable in the long term - as it did so far.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Oh, for you nay-sayers who think the world of Canon is crashing down because they announced a 50% reduction in profits for the first 3Q of this year due to a rising yen, you should read what's happening to your beloved Sony et al.

From https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-profit-dives-strong-yen-091503181.html

"... The electronics giant, which has been shedding assets as part of a broad restructuring, reported a 26 billion yen ($248 million) net profit in the six months through September, down nearly 78 percent from a year earlier.

Revenue in the first half of Sony's fiscal year fell more than 10 percent to 3.3 trillion yen "primarily due to the impact of foreign exchange rates", Sony said...

Japanese firms have benefited from a weak currency in recent years, which allows them to make their products cheaper overseas.

But the yen, which is seen as a safe bet, shot up since the start of the year as world markets were lashed by wild volatility and as uncertainty over Britain's decision to leave the EU stoked demand for less risky investments...

Panasonic has focused attention on lesser-known businesses, including energy and an auto division that makes various products found in vehicles, from electrical components to navigation systems.

But on Monday the firm blamed a strong yen and a poor showing in its solar panel business for cutting its profit and sales outlook.

Sony has also warned that a pair of deadly quakes in Japan in April would dent its bottom line...

The once-iconic firm has been working to stay profitable after years of huge losses, under a painful restructuring that has included layoffs and asset sales..."

There, that's reality for you.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Woody said:
Oh, for you nay-sayers who think the world of Canon is crashing down because they announced a 50% reduction in profits for the first 3Q of this year due to a rising yen, you should read what's happening to your beloved Sony et al.

oh no, it's JUST canon ;)

interesting.. they are forcasting 3.8 million cameras (including P&S) down from 6.1 a year prior.

another huge drop, three years in a row. Sony doesn't break out ILC's probably because they are too scared that people will find out the real facts.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Woody said:

oh no, it's JUST canon ;)

interesting.. they are forcasting 3.8 million cameras (including P&S) down from 6.1 a year prior.

another huge drop, three years in a row. Sony doesn't break out ILC's probably because they are too scared that people will find out the real facts.

Or Nikon.... 1000s of jobs to go there....
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Nikon-to-cut-1-000-jobs-in-Japan

But... its not due to Cameras. Nikons camera sales are up some 50+ percent. Nikon is being smart, their Semiconductor Fabs are losing money due to poor sales so they are getting ahead of the curve by re-assigning workers, and may offer voluntary early retirements or layoffs.

The Japanese companies still do not layoff employees wholesale like US companies do, but they are finding ways to shift and retrain the workforce as well as offer early retirements.

They do rent contract workers, and, since they are not employees of the company, they don't count them when their jobs go away.

Upvote 0