Canon Q3 Operating Profit Nearly Halves on Post-Brexit Yen Strength

Nov 4, 2011
Canon is one possible supplier of imaging gear to me. not more, not less. i am their boss. if i dont buy their crap, they can shove it up theirs.

i fully agree that Sony made a huge mistake in using their Crop-sensor E-mount also for FF sensors. that's why i am DEMANDING from canon to bring a fully competitive FF Milc with a generously dimensioned native EF-X lens mount: flange distance 22mm, throat diameter 48mm ... and design of optically great, compact and affordable lenses will be a piece of cake. if not, they can shove it up theirs. lowly asian supplier. i am customer. me and my wallet are king. we rule suprrme over imaging gesr makers. economy is really simple. and brutal for suppliers, if they dont deliver what we, their customers and rulers demand.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Canon is one possible supplier of imaging gear to me. not more, not less. i am their boss....i am customer. me and my wallet are supreme kong. economy is really simple. and brutal for suppliers.

By that reasoning, each consumer is, individually, Canon's "boss." How are they to know which boss's instructions to follow?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
romanr74 said:
I only see self-inflated opinions in these "business threads", on both ends. That some constantly describe their opinions as "objective reality" doesn't add to credibility...

keep on thinking that. there's only one reality. the ILC portion of the quarter went well for Canon.

it's other's "objective" reality that take the profits of an entire global corporation with multiple business lines, and the effect of a stronger yen and somehow manage tie that back to a specific camera release or two.

That's a reality that has to come with it's own special purple skied unicorn world.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
yea, dig that, Canon Defense League!

that us entirely Canon's problem. they shall work it out. but if they dont supply what i want, i will not buy. and they will suffer. not me. perfectly describes the current situation. canon needs customers like me much more than i need them and their mirrorslappers. really relish that. good on them!

i will just use my current gear snotjer year or buy stuff from another supplier. canon however will write poor numbers, executives eill lose bonuses, shareholders will lose dividends, stock will lose value, CEOs will get fired ... and all sorts of hell will break lose on their end. i have zero risk. they need to peddle their stuff to me. i am at liberty to buy or shun them. they are dependent on every single one of us. none of us is in any way dependent on Canon. at wirdt i'll have to dump a few canon lenses at a loss, which does not ruon me in any way. absolutely fantastic situation!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
absolutely thrilled to see the Canon Defense League members in full swing.
keep writing guys. does not change the bitter reality for canon in any way. either they supply what i want or i dont buy. and neither will many others. lower mirrorslapper unit sales. shrinking progits. lower bonuses in tokyo. fired ceos. etc. :)

if you think the fate of canon rests on one camera .. I really want what you are pumping into your veins.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
douglaurent said:
The best way would be to release products that overfulfil expectations and include everything you can implement at that time, even if that means that there is no clue which features are left to add in future models.

Well, when you own a company that makes cameras, you can decide 'the best way'. But in the case of Canon, it's not your call. And given that their status in the market, including the fact that they're currently gaining market share, there's not only no evidence to support your viewpoint, the data suggest you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

douglaurent said:
Sorry to put that kind of pressure on manufacturers, but the prices they charge give the right to demand it.

Amusing that you think you can put pressure on and make demands of Canon. Are you a corporate officer or a major shareholder? No, I didn't think so.

What's that quote from that movie with Clint Eastwood? Oh yeah, "You're a legend in your own mind." (AKA: Doug Laurent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZstgDZoLkA

Yes I'm a crazy maverick with crazy rare demands - like those 50-80% of users who bought Canon DSLRs in former years, and now look at the features of new Canon cameras and their high prices, and don't buy them anymore (which is clearly demonstrated by all sales numbers).

At least I am happy there are willingless Canon fanboys out there who eat everything, as even lower sales numbers would make new products even more expensive. The current status of approx half/half happy and unsatisfied customers might be a good mix to make Canon think.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
either they supply what i want or i dont buy.

That's true of all brands. Maybe that's why you haven't bought into another brand -- because no other brand has produced what you want either.

and neither will many others.

That's what we've been trying to explain: "many others" have pushed Canon's market share up to where it is now. From the business perspective, should Canon listen to you and your "many others" or to the "many others" who keep buying their bodies?

If you explain the features you want and why you want them you'll get very little criticism -- everyone is entitled to their own preferences. When you imply that your preferences are shared by the majority of buyers, when the only good evidence that exists is to the contrary, then you can expect to be reminded, repeatedly, of that contrary evidence.

It's very simple: if you have reasonable evidence that your preferences are shared by many others I'd be happy to see it.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I'll pledge my quid in the collective pot to buy his lenses at a slight loss to him, just to get him on the way to another brands forum to bitch on! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

AvTvM said:
i'll have to dump a few canon lenses at a loss, which does not ruon me in any way. absolutely fantastic situation!

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
In the latest financial news, after observing the Canon Rumours forum for sometime, Canon has decided to continue with it's current business strategy for it's camera division but at the same time is diverging into the food industry. A spokesman for the company said "We're really seeing a trend for major growth in the popcorn industry..."

Upvote 0
Roo said:
In the latest financial news, after observing the Canon Rumours forum for sometime, Canon has decided to continue with it's current business strategy for it's camera division but at the same time is diverging into the food industry. A spokesman for the company said "We're really seeing a trend for major growth in the popcorn industry..."

;D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Roo said:

Amazing coincidence, I just bought a Gold Medal commercial popcorn machine, the kind on a cart, not one of the toy ones either.

I'm having some popcorn now while I sit back and read the comments. ;D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Orangutan said:
AvTvM said:

That's true of all brands. Maybe that's why you haven't bought into another brand -- because no other brand has produced what you want either.

That's what we've been trying to explain: "many others" have pushed Canon's market share up to where it is now. From the business perspective, should Canon listen to you and your "many others" or to the "many others" who keep buying their bodies?

If you explain the features you want and why you want them you'll get very little criticism -- everyone is entitled to their own preferences. When you imply that your preferences are shared by the majority of buyers, when the only good evidence that exists is to the contrary, then you can expect to be reminded, repeatedly, of that contrary evidence.

It's very simple: if you have reasonable evidence that your preferences are shared by many others I'd be happy to see it.

He loves Sony. He just would rather use and hate Canon products than make the switch. Besides that, he thinks he wields incredible power in Canon's board room.

Delusions of grandeur make up a large part of his psyche. Sad, really.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Roo said:

Amazing coincidence, I just bought a Gold Medal commercial popcorn machine, the kind on a cart, not one of the toy ones either.

I'm having some popcorn now while I sit back and read the comments. ;D

Do you prefer classic palm oil or some of the newer alternatives? How about butter? Does the machine distribute it nicely, or does it soak some kernels while leaving others dry? Oh, also: soda or beer to wash it down? ;D

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Orangutan said:
AvTvM said:

He loves Sony. He just would rather use and hate Canon products than make the switch. Besides that, he thinks he wields incredible power in Canon's board room.

A few weeks ago he was quite clear: he simply believes he's such a typical representative of the buying public that his wants/needs must necessarily represents millions of others. It's tough to talk someone out of a logical hole that deep.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
sanj said:
50% drop is alarming. Something is amiss somewhere. Whatever it is I hope Canon sorts it out, I do want them to continue manufacturing rock solid cameras and lenses.

We can argue all we like but 50% drop means something seriously is wrong.

actually .. it doesn't.

Operating profit can ebb and flow especially for export companies that sell externally more than domestically.

and this is canon overall - not just cameras and lenses.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
rrcphoto said:
sanj said:
50% drop is alarming. Something is amiss somewhere. Whatever it is I hope Canon sorts it out, I do want them to continue manufacturing rock solid cameras and lenses.

We can argue all we like but 50% drop means something seriously is wrong.

actually .. it doesn't.

Operating profit can ebb and flow especially for export companies that sell externally more than domestically.

and this is canon overall - not just cameras and lenses.

Correct. This is rootcaused in a difference in currency mix between revenues (mostly outside JPY) and costs (higher JPY share than in sales). A strengthening of the JPY inevitably leads to an overproportional decline in revenue vs. cost in reporting currency, hence to a drop in profit.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Woody said:
So, from Jan to Sep 2016, Canon has sold 3.89 million (Q1=1.02M, Q2=1.5M, Q3=1.37M) ILCs.

Waiting for CIPA numbers for the same period... so that we can estimate Canon's market share so far... (the first half of 2016 has seen Canon dominating the ILC market with nearly 50% market share).

CIPA's worldwide shipment numbers from Jan to Sep 2016 is out:

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201609_e.pdf

Total number is 8,068,085.

So, Canon's shipment of 3.89 million ILCs in the same period translates into 48% market shares.

Not too shabby.

Upvote 0