2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Correction: DPAF in all 8K modes. This.is.huge. Full stop. Could someone please direct me to understanding how this massive amount of information even possible to process. 45Mp x 30 FPS and AF across two sub pixels?

33MP x 30fps. Which is, not coincidentally, roughly equivalent to the 45MP x 20fps stills shooting speed. At this point I'd wager that the dual pixel readout path is highly optimized—after all, you don't really need to read out the individual subpixel values, just their difference (when autofocusing) or sum (when recording an image). Still, of course, extremely impressive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Canon said:
These additional details come exactly one month since Canon released the development announcement of the EOS R5 and shut down speculation that some of its revolutionary specifications are ‘a fantasy’.

Wow, that's rather un-Canonic language. I don't remember them explicitly commenting on internet speculation like that in a press release. Dem's fighting words.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Wow. I was wrong then. 8K 30p not just with any AF but eye, face AND animal AF? Insane!

That should also mean that the 20 FPS electronic shutter mode has the same features. Can we just take a moment to realize this means Sony is BEHIND in specs? 20 FPS * 40 MP beats 10 FPS * 60 MP by over 30 %. And it absolutely crushes the M6 II and 1DX III.

Where did Canon pull all this throughput from? Will the 1DX III get a firmware update? Or is this throughput limited to video modes maybe, since they can be lower bit depth...

More details can't come fast enough. As it looks now, Sony is DOOMED! Heard it here first :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
i would be gobsmacked if it was more than 8 bit.
speculate price could be north of £$5000
Pricing should be highly competitive.

"Our EOS 5-Series was developed fifteen years ago to make full-frame cameras accessible to consumers, not just professional shooters. Today, that purpose remains steadfast as we continue achieving the ‘impossible’ to deliver the hybrid needs of content creators who are demanding uncompromised performance to generate more still and motion visual content than ever before."

Doesn't sound like pricing North of 5K.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
i would be gobsmacked if it was more than 8 bit.
speculate price could be north of £$5000

The 5D series historically competes in the same price bracket as the Sony A7R series and the Nikon D8xx series, so I'd expect the R5 to be in the same price bracket. That means around the $3500-3999 price point.

I'd pick one of these up in an instant if this is true.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
That should also mean that the 20 FPS electronic shutter mode has the same features. Can we just take a moment to realize this means Sony is BEHIND in specs? 20 FPS * 40 MP beats 10 FPS * 60 MP by over 30 %. And it absolutely crushes the M6 II and 1DX III.

Where did Canon pull all this throughput from? Will the 1DX III get a firmware update? Or is this throughput limited to video modes maybe, since they can be lower bit depth...

The 20fps stills mode is almost certainly 12-bit ADC (the 1DX3 e-shutter is also 12-bit in all drive modes).

But yeah, the 1DX3 5.5K/60fps has the same throughput as the R5's 8K/30fps… but only without AF!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Wow, that's rather un-Canonic language. I don't remember them explicitly commenting on internet speculation like that in a press release. Dem's fighting words.

Maybe they are posting this because the delays in R5/R6 releases mean that 'cripple rumours' have time to ferment.
Also, with the cancellation of all the main photo shows, it keeps the pot boiling and helps slow Canon users to other marques - maybe they would have released these specs at the shows anyway along with mock-ups.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The 20fps stills mode is almost certainly 12-bit ADC (the 1DX3 e-shutter is also 12-bit in all drive modes).

But yeah, the 1DX3 5.5K/60fps has the same throughput as the R5's 8K/30fps… but only without AF!
All about this R5 is distinctly different from the way Canon has done things in the past. I wonder why the 1DX III seemingly got less love from Canon with regards to the video AF.

Is it just a firmware thing? Since they wanted to make sure the body could be ready for the Olympics, maybe some aspects were left out of the initial development and meant to be added later.

Or does the R5 have more new hardware other than just IBIS, that was too experimental for the 1D series? I doubt it. So I would agree it has to be 12-bit with eShutter. But I also wrote that I can guarantee that the 8K mode will have no AF a few weeks back. So yeah...

So much to speculate about :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0