Canon R5 Back Button Experience and (failure)

So I have only had my R5 for about a month or so and have ravenously been ‘absorbing‘ what I can thru both the manual, and online…

The most interesting thing i found was remapping the exposure lock to be the Autofocus.

So i tried it. However, after MUCH searching, i could never find a solution that would allow the individual focus modes to function as they should. When in the default setting, they do… (Obviously!). My problem came about when i wanted to use the Spot setting, or in fact any other… the only autofocus that appeared to be enabled was the Face Tracking one (disabled eye detection as well). No matter what mode i chose, the mass of green boxes flooded th screen overriding wher i placed my spot….

So, it is back to the default. Yes, perhaps i could swallow my ire and ‘accept‘ what the R5 is doing, but id it is basing its metering on the AF zone it is picking, I am out of luck.

I really don’t know how everyone is getting this to be viable.

Any clarification would be much appreciated! Thanks All!

When you set up your AF back button, pay attention to the "INFO: Detail set." hint.
Weeellll….there is no “INFO:Detail set”… i have found a workaround of sorts, kludgy as it is, after composing and getting my focus where i want it, turn off AF on the lens. Now I would RATHER have the ‘elegant’ button solution, but…. And on my R5, the only option i can choose when remapping for focusing is the eye detect one. I abandoned the whole maghilla after trying and trying but getting nothing but a sea of green boxes on the * press.

I welcome detailed directions that would achieve what i desire…..

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
I am a wee bit disappointed.

I must be the only one who has just the Auto-Eye-detect option. I have googled this and watched YouTube videos.

I will try the net once more. If ANYONE understands what I am talking about I WELCOME your experience!

Thanks again!
I don't see an "Auto-Eye-Detect" option on the R5. Is that the exact name of the option you see under the customize buttons menu? There are many focusing options available on the R5, so the use of exact names is vital for proper for understanding.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I am a wee bit disappointed.

I must be the only one who has just the Auto-Eye-detect option. I have googled this and watched YouTube videos.

I will try the net once more. If ANYONE understands what I am talking about I WELCOME your experience!

Thanks again!
Please reset all settings back to factory settings. Be patient. Youtube is your friend.

Or somebody here will understand your problem.

I'm using my * button to toggle Eye-Detect off and on, but I don't use BBF, as, IMO, the R5 AF is so responsive, just leaving it in AF-Servo all the time, BBF seems unnecessary. But plenty of people the Web over love the BBF options the R5 offers, so you just need to work through the steps others share with you.

Here's a detailed, step by step guide. Be patient and watch it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So I have only had my R5 for about a month or so and have ravenously been ‘absorbing‘ what I can thru both the manual, and online…

The most interesting thing i found was remapping the exposure lock to be the Autofocus.

So i tried it. However, after MUCH searching, i could never find a solution that would allow the individual focus modes to function as they should. When in the default setting, they do… (Obviously!). My problem came about when i wanted to use the Spot setting, or in fact any other… the only autofocus that appeared to be enabled was the Face Tracking one (disabled eye detection as well). No matter what mode i chose, the mass of green boxes flooded th screen overriding wher i placed my spot….

So, it is back to the default. Yes, perhaps i could swallow my ire and ‘accept‘ what the R5 is doing, but id it is basing its metering on the AF zone it is picking, I am out of luck.

I really don’t know how everyone is getting this to be viable.

Any clarification would be much appreciated! Thanks All!
I'm not really sure I understood your issue

Are you using back button focus or...just setting up focus presets to use by long-pressing the preset button, and then pressing the shutter button to enable autofocus? The camera allows both

The way I use my R6 is:
  • autofocus disabled on shutter button
  • camera usually set to spot AF, one shot AF
  • AF-ON on its default setting
  • And then I have the [* ] setup to "Metering and AF Start" — when picking that option, there's a [INFO Detail Set] on the bottom left corner, that allows you to enter the autofocus settings, and I have setup my R6 to Face tracking with Servo AF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Please reset all settings back to factory settings. Be patient. Youtube is your friend.

Or somebody here will understand your problem.

I'm using my * button to toggle Eye-Detect off and on, but I don't use BBF, as, IMO, the R5 AF is so responsive, just leaving it in AF-Servo all the time, BBF seems unnecessary. But plenty of people the Web over love the BBF options the R5 offers, so you just need to work through the steps others share with you.

Here's a detailed, step by step guide. Be patient and watch it.

Very useful, thank you! :)

Upvote 0
I have found a solution that works for me. The left AF ON button I assigned to AE Lock and hold, so i can toggle it off if i want/need to. Next I turned the joystick to be essentially “on” all the time without needing to press the AF Point button.

And my ‘solution‘ the have a BBF that works for me, is toi have set the * button on back to stop autofocus. It seems a better option than having to keep your thumb constantly on the *,( OK maybe not constantly). As was said - the R5 has a great AF system, and this solution works and allows all modes of focus that can be chosen from the AF Point select button. I am delighted at how it works for me! A bit unusual, but individuality make the world go round.

Upvote 0