Canon R5 Rattle/Shake noise

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah, sorry for the reaction, but there's really nothing but blowback here no matter how much energy you put into a theory or explanation. I'm just trying to understand what the limitations of the camera are, and what Canon could still do post-launch to make the video side better.

No--I earned that.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
yeah, if you don't want to understand my point I can't help you. :)
The camera is weather sealed, ergo the insides are somewhat insulated from outside influence, and just because the sensor is exposed does not mean there is an efficient or even any path for airflow to the CPU. What is so hard to understand that this makes airflow over hot components difficult?
it is impossible to understand as what you say is inexplicable....

1. +++ The camera is weather sealed, ergo the insides are somewhat insulated from outside influence
A.M.: lens is removed, is the body still weather sealed in your opinion?

2. ++++ and just because the sensor is exposed does not mean there is an efficient or even any path for airflow to the CPU?
A.M.: what is your background, Sir? I am afraid it isn't in any kind of engineering...

3. +++ What is so hard to understand that this makes airflow over hot components difficult?

airflow is not always required to cool down a device.. a good use case is radiator in your car :) it is liquid cooled..
but there are plenty other methods of cooling, including heat pipes, etc.

once again: I hope it is not the sensor.. processor overheating is a lesser issue... it well may be that processor heat control was under-engineered. there are know ways to address such an issue..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

1. +++ The camera is weather sealed, ergo the insides are somewhat insulated from outside influence
A.M.: lens is removed, is the body still weather sealed in your opinion?
Not the sensor, but another part of the camera still can be. You do realize the sensor is not the cpu?

2. ++++ and just because the sensor is exposed does not mean there is an efficient or even any path for airflow to the CPU?
A.M.: what is your background, Sir? I am afraid it isn't in any kind of engineering...
And you would be wrong ;)

3. +++ What is so hard to understand that this makes airflow over hot components difficult?
airflow is not always required to cool down a device.. a good use case is radiator in your car :) it is liquid cooled..
but there are plenty other methods of cooling, including heat pipes, etc.
Your tangent here is irrelevant, what does watercooling have to do with the R5? Pictures that have surfaced so far do not show any kind of heatsink on the Digic X. But there hasn't been an exhaustive teardown, yet. So, yeah. It's all speculation so far. Still waiting for a better explanation though why the camera overheats even if you blast air at the sensor directly, but keeps recording externally in 4K60 without overheating.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Not the sensor, but another part of the camera still can be. You do realize the sensor is not the cpu?

And you would be wrong ;)

Your tangent here is irrelevant, what does watercooling have to do with the R5? Pictures that have surfaced so far do not show any kind of heatsink on the Digic X. But there hasn't been an exhaustive teardown, yet. So, yeah. It's all speculation so far. Still waiting for a better explanation though why the camera overheats even if you blast air at the sensor directly, but keeps recording externally in 4K60 without overheating.
++++ Pictures that have surfaced so far do not show any kind of heatsink on the Digic X

A.M.: great. if there is none and processor overheating is the issue, then it is a good case for having one installed and heat piped to the bottom camera plate.

+++ Still waiting for a better explanation though why the camera overheats even if you blast air at the sensor directly... but keeps recording externally in 4K60 without overheating

A.M.: well on the 4K60, as you are aware, that with HDMI signal output, all the heavy lifting processing and encoding is done by the external recorder, memory cards are also offloaded.. hence Digic X is less loaded. memory cards are not loaded at all. equals less heat internally..

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

It would be very odd design indeed to completely wrap the CPU in insulation, or block its airflow to the rest of the camera [But I can't swear that they didn't do exactly that], as GSM pointed out. Even if the camera as a whole is completely insulated, at least the rest of the camera could serve as some sort of heat sink for the CPU, if they left the CPU open to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0