Canon R5 recall

Nov 12, 2016
The youtube video where he says this already got deleted off this site once. Forgive me when I don't believe someone when they say their imaginary friend told them that Canon recalled the R5.

And now this is the second thread where you've been trolling the R5. And the joke is on you, as I own it and I love it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
The youtube video where he says this already got deleted off this site once. Forgive me when I don't believe someone when they say their imaginary friend told them that Canon recalled the R5.

And now this is the second thread where you've been trolling the R5. And the joke is on you, as I own it and I love it.
no trolling here

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And the joke is on you, as I own it and I love it.
And Canon has the last laugh. They sold the most cameras back when there legitimately were behind on a number of main camera features. When the Covid-19 dust settles, I hope the Sony trolls won't be too shocked about the sales of a Canon that literally matches, or in most cases exceeds, all competitors for stills.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And Canon has the last laugh. They sold the most cameras back when there legitimately were behind on a number of main camera features. When the Covid-19 dust settles, I hope the Sony trolls won't be too shocked about the sales of a Canon that literally matches, or in most cases exceeds, all competitors for stills.

If I understood correctly, that's already true; in fact they outsell Nikon and S*ny combined.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If I understood correctly, that's already true; in fact they outsell Nikon and S*ny combined.
Yeah, that was the point. Not a properly serious post though, at this point the conversation about the R5 'problems' has become too silly for my taste. So silly replies it is.

I know there are people out there who find it surprising that Canon continued to do well for so long. They just looked at all the complaints on the internet about lack of DR, lack of IBIS, lack of eye AF, lack of dual cards slots, and so on and repeat them endlessly. And all the claims of doom that were based on this never put a dent in Canon's position.

Now there's nothing left to complain about for stills. Imagine if the R5 and R6 didn't have the overheating going on. The Sony folks probably would have melted into sad little puddles. At this point I could almost believe Canon had pity with the Sony trolls and put in one weakness so that they could at least have some reason left to praise their beloved brand :LOL:

But of course not being able to offer a feature at the cutting edge without any limitation is a problem that warrants a recall :rolleyes:

I am just waiting for the A7S III to be recalled. That thing is barely usable for stills ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
sony and nikon put out very decent cameras... and canon was painfully slow with their changes for a long time, but credit where credit is due. I think they're on par or leading at moment. Nothing wrong with the Sony's or Nikon's.. some areas better, some worse. It boils down to what works for you. . now if they'd just get some inventory.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I am just waiting for the A7S III to be recalled. That thing is barely usable for stills ;)

And if I recall it overheats, fully bricks (unlike the R5 which lets you continue to use most of its modes), and trashes what's on your camera card as it does so. Yep, that's about what I would expect from S*ny based on my old experiences with them--the engineers who did the stuff I hate have to have retired by now, but same shit, different decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
His mate told him so it's TRUE. AND it's on the internet so its definitely TRUE.
Cant poke the guy tbh, wish there was a way you could block channels on PooTube.

Oh, and I see those Canon lorrys all the time, you know when they are loaded as the tyres bulge at the bottom, and what's more, bulging tyres on Canon lorrys are a certain sign that R5s are going home and not being dropped off at the customers.

If you quote me, credit me, I need the cash!

(6 edits, bloody phone)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
you have quite a storm happening in your head, i would be worried too if i had bought it but i always knew never to be first to buy and i never have.

Why are you trying to aggravate people here? Canon has a PR mess on its hands. We will find out how they deal with the engineering, firmware, and any other issues.

Maybe you are feeling a little unhappy with the lockdown and its consequences? If so, ok, but, please, this is probably the worst of times to be just taunting people who come here for info and friendly debates. Some here have spent a lot of money, and with incomes and business uncertain at this time, that adds big time to stress.

Sure, we all get cranky, we all get a bit too heated, but you seem to be consistently trying to just be unpleasant--and then there is no meaningful discussion, just sniping.

I hope you feel better, happier, and friendlier soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Why are you trying to aggravate people here? Canon has a PR mess on its hands. We will find out how they deal with the engineering, firmware, and any other issues.

Maybe you are feeling a little unhappy with the lockdown and its consequences? If so, ok, but, please, this is probably the worst of times to be just taunting people who come here for info and friendly debates. Some here have spent a lot of money, and with incomes and business uncertain at this time, that adds big time to stress.

Sure, we all get cranky, we all get a bit too heated, but you seem to be consistently trying to just be unpleasant--and then there is no meaningful discussion, just sniping.

I hope you feel better, happier, and friendlier soon!
Agreed, and FWIW, I am not even sure Canon really has a PR mess on their hands. It may seem like that to folks that frequent gear based forums and whatnot, but I would not be surprised if the vast majority of R5 and soon R6 owners are blissfully unaware of what some users are claiming on the interwebs.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Agreed, and FWIW, I am not even sure Canon really has a PR mess on their hands. It may seem like that to folks that frequent gear based forums and whatnot, but I would not be surprised if the vast majority of R5 and soon R6 owners are blissfully unaware of what some users are claiming on the interwebs.
Yep, I was in my local Camera shop yesterday and they had no clue about all the drama. They are just trying to get as many R5's R6's and A7SIII's as they can to meet the demand.

Oh and the 600 and 800 are selling really well for them.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

For stills, I agree, the cameras seem to be exceeding expectations--though the R6 is not out in enough numbers to know what might come up next.

But Canon believes video features are very important, so they must be expecting some general blowback from consumers who keep getting the overheating warnings. Hopefully improvements are in the pipelines, and a PR campaign too. Personally, I decided to go with the R6 when announced, paired with an R I've owned happily a year. I'm a Canon customer for decades, but I'm holding off my purchase until things are settled. And when I do look towards the R5, I'd hope the issues with temperature management are completely worked out.

I think the web is about the only source of info 90% of USA customers have for camera purchases, whether YouTube, forums, or a few of the old legacy review sites. Even big cities are without b&m camera shops. (BestBuy has few employees who know anything about what they sell, so I can't count that company.) So when controversy rages and pops up in searches, then we have widespread doubt--manufactured or not.

PS I can't help thinking CFE cards might not enjoy the track record or longevity of CF cards--unless their heating issues are resolved.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
you have quite a storm happening in your head, i would be worried too if i had bought it but i always knew never to be first to buy and i never have.

I have the storm in my head? I bought a camera I am happy with and am not spreading complete BS I heard from some biased internet source. I'm not worried in the slightest about my decision. I don't buy anything to be first, I buy when a tool is going to work for me. Until the R5, I always bought refurbished.

So stop trying to invent reality, whether from idle speculation, or an ego driven perspective. You have made zero arguments that hold up to any scrutiny and are proving yourself to be irrational and silly.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0