Canon readies the RF 200-500 f/4L IS with the discontinuation of the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
AFAIK some time ago they've added the option for uncompressed RAW files, which solves the issues you mention. The downside was (not sure if that's still true) that their RAW files were big, since they did not implement lossless compression, at least initially.
Now, the reason why the option for uncompressed RAW files was not there from the beginning is well beyond my old brain to fathom :LOL:
Or having lossless compressed RAWs from the beginning, like all CR3 files in Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
AFAIK some time ago they've added the option for uncompressed RAW files, which solves the issues you mention. The downside was (not sure if that's still true) that their RAW files were big, since they did not implement lossless compression, at least initially.
Now, the reason why the option for uncompressed RAW files was not there from the beginning is well beyond my old brain to fathom :LOL:
My theory was that they did it to sell more Sony memory cards! I needed twice as many cards when I used a Sony body.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I suspect that Canon have an "internal eyes only" lens road map that has been working a long game.
I heard that Canon has different teams competing on lens designs.
I am not sure Canon knows exactly which lens will win when it comes to zoom lenses.
With prime lenses, they should pretty much know.
The way Nikon does it makes a lot of sense.
They release lenses that were never on their roadmap and they leave off the aperture when it comes to prime lenses.
They had a 200-600 on the roadmap forever but ended up releasing a 180-600.
Panasonic would just have "super telephoto zoom" on their roadmap.

Upvote 0