Canon releases firmware 1.8.0 for the EOS R6

I'd apply the same procedure to upgrading too - it does no harm (and may prevent software conflicts) to reset the camera to default settings prior to upgrading. After all, it's easy to save all the custom settings to a card, and reinstall them after the upgrade, so why take chances?
The R6 doesn't have the ability to save and restore settings to/from SD card, unfortunately. I think they only added that to the R3 and R5. So it would take a ton of work to setup the entire camera again.
Anyway, if there was some kind of "settings mismatch" when updating, then your camera would have issues after restoring your backup as well.

One "issue" with Canon upgrades, is that it can take up to a minute before the upgrade starts, and the camera can appear to have frozen. I've heard of people panicking, and ignoring the instruction to "not touch any of the buttons", and then having problems trying to reinstall the upgrade.
That's true, it does take a while to start the upgrade, although my R6 once froze during the procedure, a long time ago. I gave it over 20 minutes, and it was completely stopped. But yeah, that happened once over all the cameras I ever had.

Upvote 0