Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Good to hear. I hope your luck keeps up, as you seem to have had one of the worst cases of freezing. I'd be interested to know if you gradually add back in your customizations, whether or not that has any effect. I just downloaded the new R5 firmware, so I really don't know yet if it is helping. The new R3 firmware still seems to have issues -- I had another couple of freezes yesterday.
I think my upcoming trip to Africa will be the test. I don't think I will change anything before then. If things are going well on the trip I may cautiously change a thing or two. I can certainly live with the camera as it currently is, although it's always nice to add a little tweek here or there. I think that now that cameras have become computers they are going to crash and freeze and it's just going to be a matter of how well they have been programmed and trouble shooted as to how well they will perform in the wild. Hopefully Canon is learning something from all this. I can certainly tell you that even my fancy new M1 Macs with all the bells and whistles still freeze and crash and can't cope with my Drobo etc no matter what all their cute ads make it look like.
Catherine

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
My gut feeling is that Canon will regard v1.5.2 as "job done" as far as the R5 and R6 are concerned. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they bring out any further firmware updates for these models. The various issues have been pretty much fixed, so if you want more features or even better performance, Canon will want you to upgrade. I wonder how long we'll be waiting for the "R5 Mkii", and what the specs will be?

Exposure bracketing with electronic shutter would be nice.
User-selectable fps with electronic shutter would be nice.
Optional beep or "shutter sound" with electronic shutter would be nice.
Panasonic-style tilting flippy screen would be nice.

I think you're right about the firmware updates. I'd be surprised if we get any additional features at this point...only bug fixes. But, other than some difficulties with 1.5.0, I think Canon did a hell of a job improving the R5 and R6 via firmware.

Based on past releases, 2024 would normally be the year the R5 Mk II would be released. As for the R6 Mark II, more like 2025. However, with chip shortage issues continuing, and with the additional R bodies coming down the line, these release dates very well might be further out.

I really thought Canon would add an FPS option in electronic shutter mode to these models, but it's not looking that way.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think you're right about the firmware updates. I'd be surprised if we get any additional features at this point...only bug fixes. But, other than some difficulties with 1.5.0, I think Canon did a hell of a job improving the R5 and R6 via firmware.

Based on past releases, 2024 would normally be the year the R5 Mk II would be released. As for the R6 Mark II, more like 2025. However, with chip shortage issues continuing, and with the additional R bodies coming down the line, these release dates very well might be further out.

I really thought Canon would add an FPS option in electronic shutter mode to these models, but it's not looking that way.
I don't think we'll see a fps option via firmware for the R5, which is a great pity.
I don't think we'll get an option to bracket exposures with electronic shutter either.

As for bug fixes - a couple minor glitches still remain:

• IBIS occasionally gets stuck in a cycle - I've had a few occasions when walking about with the camera switched on, when the IBIS has started "clicking" as if it has reached the limit of travel and repeatedly attempts to unlock itself.
  • Freezes are still happening for a few people, even with v1.5.2.

It would be nice if Canon could sort these out.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Exposure bracketing with electronic shutter would be nice.
User-selectable fps with electronic shutter would be nice.
Optional beep or "shutter sound" with electronic shutter would be nice.
Panasonic-style tilting flippy screen would be nice.
The R3 has the first three (although the middle one is not freely selectable, rather settings of 3, 15 and 30 fps are available). AEB at 30 fps is pretty sweet.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R3 has the first three (although the middle one is not freely selectable, rather settings of 3, 15 and 30 fps are available). AEB at 30 fps is pretty sweet.
Hi neuro, yes I know the R3 has these features, but I prefer an ungripped body and the extra MP that the R5 provides. Unfortunately I don't envisage any of these features becoming available via firmware upgrades. I'm very happy with the R5 especially since v1.5.2, which (touch wood) has fixed most of the bugs, so to get the extra features I'll have to wait for the next iteration of R5. Meanwhile I anticipate taking many thousands of satisfying shots with the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I'm searching the forum trying to find information on past rumors of firmware updates. I could have sworn that there was a promise of a major update to come after 1.5.0 had been released, but can't find it anywhere. Am I misremembering? Was 1.5.1 or .2 the last promised firmware?
I don't recall anything being promised beyond fixing the issues encountered with 1.5.0, which 1.5.2 ended up taking care of. But I will be extremely happy if Canon decides to bring the sensor leveling feature of the R7 to the R5 and R6.

This post might be what you're thinking of:

It contains the quote: "Canon always appreciates user feedback on our products and services. Following the release of Firmware Version 1.5.0, we are in the process of developing an update to further optimize AF operations. We plan to publish details of the revised firmware in late March and will make an announcement on the Web site."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I don't recall anything being promised beyond fixing the issues encountered with 1.5.0, which 1.5.2 ended up taking care of. But I will be extremely happy if Canon decides to bring the sensor leveling feature of the R7 to the R5 and R6.

This post might be what you're thinking of:

It contains the quote: "Canon always appreciates user feedback on our products and services. Following the release of Firmware Version 1.5.0, we are in the process of developing an update to further optimize AF operations. We plan to publish details of the revised firmware in late March and will make an announcement on the Web site."
Thanks. That's probably it. I came across that thread in my search too, but wasn't sure if there was something more specific.

1.5.1 was released February 17
1.5.2 was released March 17

I guess technically anything after the 15th qualifies as 'late' but it seems like they didn't actually release the firmware they were implying. 1.5.1 and .2 seemed more like quick patches for 1.5.0 rather than the planned March update they mentioned. But nothing other than those came, so maybe I misinterpreted. I do hope a 1.6 is actually coming with some added features (particularly eliminating the 30 min record limit, variable High FPS mode, and horizon auto-level), but just delayed. But I know none of that stuff is promised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a brand new R5 with FW 1.5.2. It froze rather dramatically on my first BIF venture. I use back button and I have the AE-lock button set to Eye Detection. After about thirty minutes of intermittent use of the AE-lock button, waiting for an Osprey to cooperate (it didn’t), the freezing began. It resolved briefly with turning the camera off only to return fairly quickly. Batteries are good. I haven’t read all of the posts but some seem to suggest that 1.5.2 would fix the freezing. It didn’t and this represents a remarkable failure on Canon’s part. I am going to try again when the AZ temps are below 112 but I would appreciate advice before I pack up the camera and send it back. 1.4? Don’t use AE-lock for Eye Detection? Thanks

Upvote 0
all my lockups were on car detect with a tamron 70-200 f2.8 g2, been using a 70-300L and its been brilliant never had a lock up since, done a full drift day with car detect and an airshow and no issues what so ever, are you using an adapted none canon lens ?
Thanks for responding. No. I was using the Canon RF 100-500 L with the Canon 1.4 extender. I also have an R6 and have had a similar issue with freezing but not as bad as the new R5. I have not used my Canon 2.8 70-200 on the new R5 yet. Very disconcerting to say the least.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a brand new R5 with FW 1.5.2. It froze rather dramatically on my first BIF venture. I use back button and I have the AE-lock button set to Eye Detection. After about thirty minutes of intermittent use of the AE-lock button, waiting for an Osprey to cooperate (it didn’t), the freezing began. It resolved briefly with turning the camera off only to return fairly quickly. Batteries are good. I haven’t read all of the posts but some seem to suggest that 1.5.2 would fix the freezing. It didn’t and this represents a remarkable failure on Canon’s part. I am going to try again when the AZ temps are below 112 but I would appreciate advice before I pack up the camera and send it back. 1.4? Don’t use AE-lock for Eye Detection? Thanks
Try changing your customization of buttons.

Upvote 0