Canon releases firmware v1.1.2 for the EOS R6 Mark II

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
The login link in the main article takes you to a Wordpress Management Login for the entire site!
When is Canon going to fix the freezing issues with the R6 Mark II, in particular when you press the shutter button when it's gone to sleep and only the image area appears with no menus or display stuff around the edges, then it takes several seconds to fully kick into life and fire shots.

Also the bug it's always had that if you shoot 20 fps and let the 99 frame buffer count down to zero, the camera stops taking photos and the buffer frame counter goes blank and the camera stops taking photos. Then some time later usually more than 10 seconds later, the buffer counter suddenly jumps to like 36 and starts counting up erratically back to 99 jumping lots of number along the way rather than sequentially count upwards.

Often when this happens the only way to get the camera working again is to pull the battery and it happens no matter what memory card I try. It's so frustrating. Another bug it's always done is right after shooting if you press the Playback button, it won't show recent images, or if it does they flash up very briefly then return to the shooting screen. I love the camera but there are some serious glitchces in the software.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The login link in the main article takes you to a Wordpress Management Login for the entire site!
When is Canon going to fix the freezing issues with the R6 Mark II, in particular when you press the shutter button when it's gone to sleep and only the image area appears with no menus or display stuff around the edges, then it takes several seconds to fully kick into life and fire shots. Also the bug it's always had that if you shoot 20 fps and let the 99 frame buffer count down to zero, the camera stops taking photos and the buffer frame counter goes blank and the camera stops taking photos. Then some time later usually more than 10 seconds later, the buffer counter suddenly jumps to like 36 and starts counting up erratically back to 99 jumping lots of number along the way rather than sequentially count upwards. Often when this happens the only way to get the camera working again is to pull the battery and it happens no matter what memory card I try. It's so frustrating. Another bug it's always done is right after shooting if you press the Playback button, it won't show recent images, or if it does they flash up very briefly then return to the shooting screen. I love the camera but there are some serious glitchces in the software.

Thanks for letting me know, I was having caching issues this AM. It should be fixed now.

Have you reported these issues to Canon support directly?

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Thanks for letting me know, I was having caching issues this AM. It should be fixed now.

Have you reported these issues to Canon support directly?
I tried to contact Canon in Australia and Asia and all they did is refer me to online help sites. When I phoned the Canon Australiasia customer care line, I got told repeatedly I should send the camera in for repair, despite me saying over and over it is a firmware bug and not something a local technician can fix. A company as big as Canon should have some sort of portal where you can log bug descriptions. I gave up asking to speak to one of the actual technicians to step them through how to reproduce the bug so they can pass it back up the line to the factory. The counter goes to zero then hangs the camera bug gets worse as the memory card accumulates more images, not helped that when you have to pull the battery, the camera tries to read all the file contents of the card when powered back up slowing the camera down again. I've noticedd if I get the frame buffer down to say below 20, as it counts back up to 99, it will pause then jump quite a few numbers ahead, like it'll single step rapidly from say 15 to 32 then jump to 51, 52, 53, 74, 75, 98, 99 with the same period between each increment, ergo the time it takes to increment from 51 to 52 is the same time it takes to jump from 75 to 98. As a wishlist item, I would dearly love the option to have the electronic level displayed at all times in the EVF when shooting. It's annoying having it disappear when you're banging off shoots in continuous mode especially if you're panning. The AF is freaking amazing though. </falls off soapbox>

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
When is Canon going to fix the freezing issues with the R6 Mark II, in particular when you press the shutter button when it's gone to sleep and only the image area appears with no menus or display stuff around the edges, then it takes several seconds to fully kick into life and fire shots.

Also the bug it's always had that if you shoot 20 fps and let the 99 frame buffer count down to zero, the camera stops taking photos and the buffer frame counter goes blank and the camera stops taking photos. Then some time later usually more than 10 seconds later, the buffer counter suddenly jumps to like 36 and starts counting up erratically back to 99 jumping lots of number along the way rather than sequentially count upwards.

Often when this happens the only way to get the camera working again is to pull the battery and it happens no matter what memory card I try. It's so frustrating. Another bug it's always done is right after shooting if you press the Playback button, it won't show recent images, or if it does they flash up very briefly then return to the shooting screen. I love the camera but there are some serious glitchces in the software.
I wonder if this is happening to only your copy and a few others of the R6 II? Or if the bugs are happening with every R6 II?

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2021
Fixes an issue that may result in only one battery being charged when the BG-R10 Battery Grip is attached.

Ah, I experienced that one. Glad to read that this was apperently a bug that has now been fixed.

In the category 'bug or feature?' I have something else that I'd like to see fixed. Something that has already been reported here and there as well on the camera forums.

The R6II has gained the ability of the original R6 that I also owned previously to connect to the camera as well when it is "off". Very convenient in theory.

However, there appears to be no time-out on a connection once it's made. So if you accidentily keep the Canon Camera Connect app on in the background on your phone and/or don't manualy close the connection it fully drains the camera's batteries. This has happened to me now a number of times. As a precaution I now put the camera in airplane mode if I'm not using the connectivity. So in practice it's now less convenient.

What I would expect to be implemented is a decent timeout, or functionality to prevent draining the batteries below a certain level. Or just give the user the choice to disable the 'connectivity when "off" functionality" in the camera's settings altogether.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I tried to contact Canon in Australia and Asia and all they did is refer me to online help sites. When I phoned the Canon Australiasia customer care line, I got told repeatedly I should send the camera in for repair, despite me saying over and over it is a firmware bug and not something a local technician can fix. A company as big as Canon should have some sort of portal where you can log bug descriptions. I gave up asking to speak to one of the actual technicians to step them through how to reproduce the bug so they can pass it back up the line to the factory. The counter goes to zero then hangs the camera bug gets worse as the memory card accumulates more images, not helped that when you have to pull the battery, the camera tries to read all the file contents of the card when powered back up slowing the camera down again. I've noticedd if I get the frame buffer down to say below 20, as it counts back up to 99, it will pause then jump quite a few numbers ahead, like it'll single step rapidly from say 15 to 32 then jump to 51, 52, 53, 74, 75, 98, 99 with the same period between each increment, ergo the time it takes to increment from 51 to 52 is the same time it takes to jump from 75 to 98. As a wishlist item, I would dearly love the option to have the electronic level displayed at all times in the EVF when shooting. It's annoying having it disappear when you're banging off shoots in continuous mode especially if you're panning. The AF is freaking amazing though. </falls off soapbox>
Might want to send it in for repair. Why do you think it is a firmware bug? You might be incorrect. I just tried to replicate your "bugs" with my camera and could not. No issues like yours.

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Might want to send it in for repair. Why do you think it is a firmware bug? You might be incorrect. I just tried to replicate your "bugs" with my camera and could not. No issues like yours.
I can't see it being just my camera. If I don't let the frame buffer hit zero, it never locks up from shooting, although the erratic buffer clearing counter jumps still occur. The freezing only occurs sometimes when the buffer count hits zero, not every time in fact most times it recovers but every so often it will hang the camera. I have seen on other forums people from other countires complain about the same issues I have found. It seems to be more prevalent when the number of images on the SD card gets up a bit especially when you have fired off over 10,000 images thoughout the day. I use 256GB 300Mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II cards but it has also happened when using Lexar or ProGrade cards. The 1.1.1 firmware was to fix issues with the camera taking ages to wake up when BlueTooth was enabled, but even with it off, it can go into a half awake mode now and then.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
@Rumours not rumors, your freeze issue sounds a bit different than most, but I’m not sure if I completely understand it.

Unfortunately Canon’s mirrorless cameras since the R5 have been prone to some freezing issues. I’ve experienced it with both the R5 and R3, so it doesn’t surprise me if you are having issues with the R6 II.

For some people it is very bad, happening very frequently, for others (like me) it’s just an occasional nuisance. If it’s severe, I’d recommend sending to Canon for repair/replacement. But that’s no guarantee it will fix the issue, some people report sending their cameras in only to have them come back with the same problem.

Firmware updates for the R5 and R3 do seem to have helped but not resolved the issue. I don’t think Canon really knows what the problem is. Rest assured it is a real problem and not anything you are doing wrong. Also there is a lot of magical thinking on the internet that it is a card issue or an issue with certain camera settings, but there is no evidence to support those claims.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It seems to be more prevalent when the number of images on the SD card gets up a bit especially when you have fired off over 10,000 images thoughout the day.

Could that be related to card/SD controller overheating?
Interesting idea. Are you shooting raw, c-raw or jpg? If raw, I would try switching to c-raw and see if that helps. It won’t have a visible impact on your images and save you a lot of card space, buffer space and upload time.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I can't see it being just my camera. If I don't let the frame buffer hit zero, it never locks up from shooting, although the erratic buffer clearing counter jumps still occur. The freezing only occurs sometimes when the buffer count hits zero, not every time in fact most times it recovers but every so often it will hang the camera. I have seen on other forums people from other countires complain about the same issues I have found. It seems to be more prevalent when the number of images on the SD card gets up a bit especially when you have fired off over 10,000 images thoughout the day. I use 256GB 300Mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II cards but it has also happened when using Lexar or ProGrade cards. The 1.1.1 firmware was to fix issues with the camera taking ages to wake up when BlueTooth was enabled, but even with it off, it can go into a half awake mode now and then.
You can't see it being just your camera. You believe it is a firmware issue. Apparently, it is more important for you to be right than to have your camera fixed. So be it.

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
You can't see it being just your camera. You believe it is a firmware issue. Apparently, it is more important for you to be right than to have your camera fixed. So be it.
It's not a big boys pissing contest so nothing at all to do with who is right or wrong. I am an electronics engineer and cannot see this being a hardware issue with mine because I have seen the same symptoms mentioned in other forums around the world. If perchance it was a hardware issue, it means either there is a bad batch of cameras out there or the design is flawed because others have witnessed the same phenomena. If they can address these issues, the camera would be bulletproof, but they can't fix bugs if nobody makes them known.

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Interesting idea. Are you shooting raw, c-raw or jpg? If raw, I would try switching to c-raw and see if that helps. It won’t have a visible impact on your images and save you a lot of card space, buffer space and upload time.
I almost always shoot JPEG. The image quality of Canon's JPEG's is more than good enough for my uses. RAW is just an overhead that is too great for any perceived benefit gained to me. I have pumped over 100,000 JPEG's from my R6 Mark II and (off memory) shot I think 5 maybe 6 brief video segments. The only time I shoot mixed JPEG and RAW is when I have exrtreme lighting contrast/brightness differences in the same scene as happens in north Australia when the late afternoon sun casts deep shadows or overly funky mixed lighting temperature sources that I know a grey card white balance calibration is not going to resolve, such as a field lit by both LED and mercury vapour lamps on the same lighting turret. To be fair, the R6 Mark II's high frequency anti-flicker works really well.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If perchance it was a hardware issue, it means either there is a bad batch of cameras out there or the design is flawed because others have witnessed the same phenomena.
And you think it's not a bad batch of cameras (or components) and the design is not flawed (and properly addresses the manufacturing tolerances of all the components), because...?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
And you think it's not a bad batch of cameras (or components) and the design is not flawed (and properly addresses the manufacturing tolerances of all the components), because...?
If the problems were due to a bad batch of cameras/components, then Canon should have been able to identify the cause of the problems long ago from the serial numbers of affected cameras that have been returned for repair.

I have an R5, and like many people, I've had similar freezing issues, although these have lessened with recent firmware updates, which would seem to imply that the freezes are caused by some kind of hardware/firmware conflict. The problem is that no one, including Canon, has thus far been unable to isolate precisely *which* combination of settings/circumstances trigger the freezes. My opinion is that there are probably *several* factors, which in combination will trigger freezes.

In common with numerous other folk, I've speculated here about possible causes, but the truth is that no-one knows why these freezes occur, and if they are still occuring with more recent models such as R3, R6ii and R7, it strongly implies that *Canon* don't know the cause either...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My camera also randomly locks up, always at the most inopportune times. A couple times, the oddity of it was that when it locked, it displayed the live image that was present in the viewfinder. Not a captured image/photo, but a live image. The unit was unresponsive, nothing worked on the camera. I had to remove the battery and reinstall in order to get the camera back up and running. It has locked up probably 3-4 times in the last month. I'm running the latest firmware v1.1.1, however the lockups happened with the original firmware was well. Has anyone had lockups on v1.1.1, that have been resolved with the latest firmware? Also another issue I am having is the camera stops losing its ability to auto focus. The only way to resolve is to remove the battery and reinsert.

Upvote 0
My camera also randomly locks up, always at the most inopportune times. A couple times, the oddity of it was that when it locked, it displayed the live image that was present in the viewfinder. Not a captured image/photo, but a live image. The unit was unresponsive, nothing worked on the camera. I had to remove the battery and reinstall in order to get the camera back up and running. It has locked up probably 3-4 times in the last month. I'm running the latest firmware v1.1.1, however the lockups happened with the original firmware was well. Has anyone had lockups on v1.1.1, that have been resolved with the latest firmware? Also another issue I am having is the camera stops losing its ability to auto focus. The only way to resolve is to remove the battery and reinsert.
If that happened to one of my cameras in warranty I would be sending it back to Canon, hopefully they will resolve the issue or give you a better copy.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If that happened to one of my cameras in warranty I would be sending it back to Canon, hopefully they will resolve the issue or give you a better copy.
Canon has been known to fix defects even after the warranty expires.
They need to believe it was a defect and not wear and tear.

Upvote 0