Canon releases firmware v1.3.0 for the EOS R7

My EOS R7 see the new firmware 1.3.0 as older than the 1.2.0 wich is installed, and does't want to proceed to update....
I had the same issue. Actually, it is likely that one of your cards still contains an old firmware. I installed only one card with only the latest firmware on it and the camera proceeded to the update. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Upgraded to 1.3.0 without issue.

Best advice:
  • Format the card you are going to use to update in the Camera first.
  • Remove Card from Camera.
  • Using a card reader copy the firmware to the cards root.
  • Remove any attached lens before doing the upgrade.
  • Make sure to have a full Canon official battery.
  • Be patient - the upgrade takes a bit.
Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I had the same issue. Actually, it is likely that one of your cards still contains an old firmware. I installed only one card with only the latest firmware on it and the camera proceeded to the update. Hope this helps.
Yes, that happens even if it is not the card you are trying to use to install the new firmware.
I find that it is best to install firmware off one card newly formatted by the camera and remove the other one.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My EOS R7 see the new firmware 1.3.0 as older than the 1.2.0 wich is installed, and does't want to proceed to update....
My advice FWIW is to always play safe, don't take unnecessary chances with new firmware, let others be the beta testers. This is particularly important if you are intending to shoot once-in-a-lifetime unrepeatable images - the last thing you need is to have an issue introduced by new firmware. Most updates are fairly trivial anyway. I generally wait a few weeks and check to see if others report any issues, before I update. Hence I'm still using 1.6.0 on my R5. It does everything I want it to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (not immediately, anyway!).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] If it ain't broke, don't fix it (not immediately, anyway!).
With the complexity of electronics these days, it is hard to find anything that isn't broken in some form or another. The trick is finding out whether a firmware update improves the brokenness in the areas you care about or not :)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
With the complexity of electronics these days, it is hard to find anything that isn't broken in some form or another. The trick is finding out whether a firmware update improves the brokenness in the areas you care about or not :)
Yes, but unfortunately you have to install the update to find out! Update 1.7.0 for my R5 came out a few days before my recent trip to India, but I wasn't going to take any risks by installing it before I went. Now I've got a few weeks free before the next trip, so I might try out the upgrade. Unfortunately there is no *easy* and *safe* way to revert to a previous version if any issues arise. 1.6.0 works absolutely fine for me.

Upvote 0
I finally succeed to instal new firmware, using another memory card, fresly formatted with the R7, and removing the second memory card. After verifying, the previous version of firmware were still in the second memory card and was probably in origin of the problem.

Upvote 0
I did encounter a few immediate errors after upgrading to 1.3

Not sure why. Just scrolling through the menu and it gave me an error code that made me have to power off and on. Did this twice. Hope it doesn’t persist.

Regarding the note about auto-dimming functionality of the AF Assist on the EL-5, the Canon Japan website already has a manual available for the EL-5. It says this related to the AF Assist:

“Note:

•AF-assist beam firing can be disabled in C.Fn-08.

•Flash output is fixed for the EOS R3, EOS R7, and EOS R10. For other cameras with a multi-function shoe, flash output is automatically adjusted to suit brightness. [Also referring to the AF Assist here, I believe]

•Depending on ambient brightness, the AF-assist beam automatically switches to intermittent flash firing for the EOS R3, EOS R7, and EOS R10. For other cameras with a multi-function shoe, increases of internal temperature automatically reduce brightness of the LED AF-assist beam or switch to intermittent flash firing, for safety. Note that this beam may be emitted by the camera instead of by the Speedlite, depending on ambient brightness.”

Now the interesting part is that the note for the 1.3 update now says this for the R7 instead of what it said this morning:

“*The autoflash function of the AF-assist beam is not supported.”

This morning it was different and talked about the auto-dimming function.

Edit: I’ve now seen a third variation of that note from Canon:

“*The automatic light intensity adjustment of the AF-assist beam is not supported.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0