Canon releases firmware v1.4.1 for the EOS R3

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If pulling the battery works, it wasn't bricked, but 'crashed', 'hung', 'confused', 'on strike' or something like that. But not bricked.
Well yes, I've always regarded "bricked" as meaning that the camera was completely and irreversibly dead as a parrot, deceased, defunct and gone to heaven.

But @PawelW described his camera as "bricked" - yet Canon fixed it by apparently only updating the firmware, so that presumably means that his camera actually just "hung"?
Or did the camera require disassembly for an internal adjustment, BIOS flash or whatever? I guess we'll never know.

Upvote 0
Firmware 1.4.0 bricked my R3. [...] Big fail for Canon. Canon doesn't have any testing department before firmware is released to public?
The way testing works is more complex than many imagine. If the program only have say 34 independent binary variables, the number of tests to run to check all possible combinations would be 2-power-34 which is about 17 billion tests! So what the companies usually do, combine those variables that are supposed to work together into some groups of 3 or 4 or more. In this example, 3-way groups require only 33 tests and 4-way requires 85 test to be run. So what happens is that some "coincidental" cases may happen outside of those anticipated groups that may lead to irreversible failures. Those cases are quite rare but may remotely happen. This is true for all testing departments of all companies manufacturing precision instruments, including cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well yes, I've always regarded "bricked" as meaning that the camera was completely and irreversibly dead as a parrot, deceased, defunct and gone to heaven.

But @PawelW described his camera as "bricked" - yet Canon fixed it by apparently only updating the firmware, so that presumably means that his camera actually just "hung"?
Or did the camera require disassembly for an internal adjustment, BIOS flash or whatever? I guess we'll never know.
Maybe I didn't use proper word to describe situation. Camera was not bricked but hung. I had to remove battery to close down shutter. Apart from being hung there was no image from the sensor in EVF just after turning camera on - neverthless it was hung or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AI will provide so many opportunities for improving subject recognition, AF, metering, stacking, noise elimination, blur-control, hi-res, HDR, stabilisation and many other things that haven't even been thought of yet. As long as I can easily override it (or certain aspects of it), I welcome it. It would be nice to be able to customise cameras and choose which aspects I want AI to help with, and which ones I'd prefer to have total control of myself.
Generative AI needs computational power on the fly and creates new data so is best to use in post processing and would need access to the internet.
Using Lightroom's AI models don't save in the sidecar file but generate a new .DNG file.

The low latency needed for real time AI for subject recognition for AF at 30fps would be difficult. 5G edge compute is supposed to improve this eg connected car but yet to be fully implemented. 6G could be possible but our shooting locations doesn't always have great latency eg from high density sports events to remote landscape.

Machine learning models are quite different to generative AI in that they aim to teach a machine how to perform a specific task and provide accurate results by identifying patterns... perfect for AF subject tracking!
Ideally, those models could be downloaded over time eg train AF or nudibranch AF etc especially from 3rd party/open source work. That would be cool.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

Who knows what Canon had to do.
To us, it is bricked.
To them, who knows?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The way testing works is more complex than many imagine. If the program only have say 34 independent binary variables, the number of tests to run to check all possible combinations would be 2-power-34 which is about 17 billion tests! So what the companies usually do, combine those variables that are supposed to work together into some groups of 3 or 4 or more. In this example, 3-way groups require only 33 tests and 4-way requires 85 test to be run. So what happens is that some "coincidental" cases may happen outside of those anticipated groups that may lead to irreversible failures. Those cases are quite rare but may remotely happen. This is true for all testing departments of all companies manufacturing precision instruments, including cameras.
Ideally, automated testing should be able to hit every possible scenario.
In reality, that is far from practical.
It would take more time to make automated test scripts than to write the original code.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
A bit slow with the news on this - CanonWatch reported it 3 days ago...
This site is no longer quick at releasing information like it used to. I actually got an email from Canon about the firmware and didn't see anything for days on here.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This site is no longer quick at releasing information like it used to. I actually got an email from Canon about the firmware and didn't see anything for days on here.
Yes, it pays to check a lot of sites regularly, some are faster than others. CanonWatch is usually pretty fast, but they and others often latch onto items that have appeared on CR first. Dpreview is usually very fast, but isn't specific to Canon, so minor things like updates take a bit of time to be reported. Even the sites of the official Canon distributors vary a lot in the speed at which they report updates.

I'm not an early adopter, either of new bodies or of firmware updates - it's nice to get early news, but I'm reluctant to try things until others have done the beta-testing and reported the inevitable issues that arise.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Not defending Canon here, but I wonder how they compare with Sony, Nikon and Panasonic regarding "technical oversights". It's a very competitive market, where goods have to be rushed out and are increasingly complex, so I'd imagine that the other brands have similar issues.
I've started to take the brick stories with a grain of salt though. I mean I saw one poster here upset that he had to format his card in order to get the firmware update to read properly. While I believe bricking cameras is definitely a thing, I also think there could be more to each story in terms of people following Canon's instructions precisely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0