Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM will start shipping on May 31, 2023

Yup, charged my CC as well. I chatted with B&H customer support this morning and they said shipment en route to warehouse. I guess they can just take the shipment and slap new Fedex stickers on it and send it out.
When I called today they said they had no connection to the warehouse and wouldn't know until it was shipped :| Seems a little inconsistent. When did you order?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks. You got in early. I regret waffling until early May.
I learned that with the R3. Orders placed before about 9a on announcement day were filled from the first batch (I ordered mine at 6:45a). Orders placed later that same morning were filled a couple of months later.

For the 100-300, Canon warned on May 18th, “Even if you have already placed an order, it may be difficult to deliver it within 2023.” You may be looking at a long wait, unfortunately.

A preorder can easily be canceled. If you think you might want a newly released Canon item and you care about getting it as soon as possible, preorder it as early as you can on launch day. You’ll have a few weeks to make up your mind, at least.

Upvote 0
I learned that with the R3. Orders placed before about 9a on announcement day were filled from the first batch (I ordered mine at 6:45a). Orders placed later than morning were filled a couple of months later.

For the 100-300, Canon warned on May 18th, “Even if you have already placed an order, it may be difficult to deliver it within 2023.” You may be looking at a long wait, unfortunately.

A preorder can easily be canceled. If you think you might want a newly released Canon item and you care about getting it as soon as possible, preorder it as early as you can on launch day. You’ll have a few weeks to make up your mind, at least.
Great advice. I waited a little longer to get the R3, but was glad I did. I'll keep my pre-order for the 100-300L as the wait time will only improve from here. I'll just keep earning interest on the cash at these great rates :D

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I picked up my copy this evening along with my Canon EL-5 flash. I mounted a Wimberley AP-601 Acra-Swiss foot which is lower profile that the stock Canon foot so the lens takes up less room in the bag. My local Canon dealer ordered mine first thing in the morning on the day of the official announcement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I picked up my copy this evening along with my Canon EL-5 flash. I mounted a Wimberley AP-601 Acra-Swiss foot which is lower profile that the stock Canon foot so the lens takes up less room in the bag. My local Canon dealer ordered mine first thing in the morning on the day of the official announcement.
Nice. Flash, too? I thought Canon said end of June for that, but Canon USA now shows it as in stock.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes. I received both today. The EL-5 caught me by surprise, but glad it finally arrived.
I could order from Canon and cancel my B&H preorder, but I suspect B&H just hasn't received or processed their allotment from Canon yet. Canon ships slowly, and given their lack of ordering reliability I'd wait for shipping confirmation from them and by then B&H will probably have shipped mine. Honestly, I ordered the EL-5 mainly to try it as a master instead of the ST-E10 when I want a flash on camera, but the 600EX does just fine for that. The one thing the EL-5 will let me do is set my R3's illumination button back to the default function instead of linking to the flash control menu, since like the ST-E10 the EL-5 has one-button camera flash menu access. So I'll just wait for it to come from B&H.

Enjoy the new gear!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The EL-5 caught me by surprise, but glad it finally arrived.
I contacted B&H, they indicated the EL-5 is supposed to start shipping on June 8. Perhaps that's why Canon's estimate was June 7-12 for delivery, they may not yet have enough stock to fill larger vendor orders but had enough to fill orders from smaller shops.

Upvote 0
Somewhat disappointing news. I drove 2 hours today to a camera store that had a single lens in stock. Clearly in the original shipment box from Canon and never opened. After purchasing, I tried it out and everything seemed to function great, except I'm getting a disconcerting noise from the lens when I turn my R3 off (and sometimes on). Here's a video of it:

I made what some might consider an irrational decision, and brought the lens home despite this, simply because it does work. On the drive home, I called Canon's professional support and they tested the same combo (R3 + lens) on their end, and said it is completely silent in all modes and phases of operation. Now that I'm home, I've tried it with my other body, the R6, and it is still making this noise.

Autofocus seems to be perfect. Aperture selection from f/2.8 through f/22 seems to be perfect. The sound happens regardless of AF/MF mode, IS on/off mode, etc. The aperture blade and/or USM motors seem to be the culprit. Oddly, it does not make the lens when the lens is in the upside-down orientation (180 degrees rotated) from normal shooting orientation. Canon says they'll repair it under warranty of course – and I'd rather send it to the other end of California for a few weeks than wait until next year or whenever Canon gets more to B&H.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Somewhat disappointing news. I drove 2 hours today to a camera store that had a single lens in stock. Clearly in the original shipment box from Canon and never opened. After purchasing, I tried it out and everything seemed to function great, except I'm getting a disconcerting noise from the lens when I turn my R3 off (and sometimes on). Here's a video of it:

I made what some might consider an irrational decision, and brought the lens home despite this, simply because it does work. On the drive home, I called Canon's professional support and they tested the same combo (R3 + lens) on their end, and said it is completely silent in all modes and phases of operation. Now that I'm home, I've tried it with my other body, the R6, and it is still making this noise.

Autofocus seems to be perfect. Aperture selection from f/2.8 through f/22 seems to be perfect. The sound happens regardless of AF/MF mode, IS on/off mode, etc. The aperture blade and/or USM motors seem to be the culprit. Oddly, it does not make the lens when the lens is in the upside-down orientation (180 degrees rotated) from normal shooting orientation. Canon says they'll repair it under warranty of course – and I'd rather send it to the other end of California for a few weeks than wait until next year or whenever Canon gets more to B&H.
My apologies for your experience. I am using the R3 with the RF100-300 mm f2.8 and the only noise I hear is the shutter opening and closing when I turn the camera on and off. Definitely send it back to Canon for repair if you do not want to wait. Otherwise, you can likely return it and get a full refund.

Upvote 0
My apologies for your experience. I am using the R3 with the RF100-300 mm f2.8 and the only noise I hear is the shutter opening and closing when I turn the camera on and off. Definitely send it back to Canon for repair if you do not want to wait. Otherwise, you can likely return it and get a full refund.
Thanks.

I'd rather ship it to Canon for a few weeks than have to drive another 4 hours round trip through hellish Bay Area traffic, to be honest. Examining the issue more, I think it has to do with the dual USM motors and not the aperture. I think they're not "parking" properly when shutting off the camera, or something is jamming.

Upvote 0