Canon RF 1200mm Details Leak: Weighs only 0.25kg more than the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM

Two days early, the press release details of the coming RF 1200mm f/8 L IS USM leaked, and there are a few pleasant surprises. First among them is that the lens weighs just a bit more the RF 600mm f/4 lens, which is already very light for that focal length. A person Digicame-Info believes was the author of the now-defunct Nokishita blog posted posted the press release detailing the specs.
The minimum focus distance (MFD) is 4.3m, also roughly the same as the 600mm f/4, which means its maximum magnification will be twice that of the smaller lens. Doing the math, this means that a human head would completely fill the frame at MFD.

Not noted on the release are the lens dimensions.
For those with a glutton for focal length, the 1200mm lens does take both the 1.4x and the 2x teleconverters, rendering as much as a 2400mm f/16 equivalent...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Asobinet (like digicam-info) has some more details and speculates that the new RF 800mm could "be a lens equipped with a specially designed magnifying optical system on the RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM"? Could make sense with the "metalic tube" at mount on both lenses?:
translation: https://asobinet-com.translate.goog...r_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This is truly amazing. I'll go to sleep and dream.
...or just buy the 400 or 600 + TCs and have a much more versatile lens. Is this really a high priority relative to a 500, 300, 200-500?

I guess it's a clever way to recycle 90% of the parts from existing optics
Sorry but I see it as much more exciting than that.;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
It says it uses the same “front section optical design as the 600mm f/4”. I’m sure we will find out that the 800mm uses the front section of the 400mm f/2.8. It even looks like it if you look at the photos. They seem to have stuck some sort of magnifying tube/2x TC onto both of them.

Im intrigued. But it does seem like a pair of niche lenses. They will have to be a lot sharper than their original 400/600 + TC combinations for anyone to want to give up that focal length flexibility. Are there really that many people complaining about the iq of the 600mm + 2x TC? You are really fighting atmospheric issues at that focal length anyway, unless you are shooting small birds at a short distance.

I can’t wait for someone to perform some comparative tests!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I guess. I think a compact 800 PF is much more interesting versus recycling EF designs
OK, but I'm a Canonite and presently do most of my shots at 800, although F8, as is. I'd be more interested in the 800 if it's light but can't afford it anyway. That's why I dream. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
OK, but I'm a Canonite and presently do most of my shots at 800, although F8, as is. I'd be more interested in the 800 if it's light but can't afford it anyway. That's why I dream. :)

Jack
A compact DO lens would have been more interesting to me. That's all I'm saying. I have no doubt they will be stellar optics regardless.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
...or just buy the 400 or 600 + TCs and have a much more versatile lens. Is this really a high priority relative to a 500, 300, 200-500?

With custom "magnifier design" specifically made for the lens(es), the optical result should be (hopefully considerable?) better then using a "generic" 2x extender on the lens(es).
But I'm sure we will be seeing lots of practical comparisons telling us more about that...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

1) It would not be as sharp
2) Anyone who can afford the RF 1200 f/8 probably already has the other two

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
A compact DO lens would have been more interesting to me. That's all I'm saying. I have no doubt they will be stellar optics regardless.
Nikon seems to have gone down that route of announcing development of 800mm f6.3 PF for their Z mount while Canon is sticking to a more conventional glass.

Upvote 0
It says it uses the same “front section optical design as the 600mm f/4”. I’m sure we will find out that the 800mm uses the front section of the 400mm f/2.8. It even looks like it if you look at the photos. They seem to have stuck some sort of magnifying tube/2x TC onto both of them.

My spidey sense got tingly too. That's why I went and looked up the 600mm optical design. The elements list show it's not just a TC glued onto the RF 600. Had Canon considered doing that, I don't think they'd expect to sell many, as there doesn't seem to be a downside to just carrying the 2x TC with the 600. I'm betting there's something more useful than an extended 600 to this.

We'll just have to wait for 1) the full press release to come out, 2) Canon's chosen people to give reviews where they don't directly compare image quality between this and Canon's other big whites, and then 3) wait for the supply chain to unkink enough so that some of the forum dwellers are able to get some actual time with it. So, in other words, June :(.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
My spidey sense got tingly too. That's why I went and looked up the 600mm optical design. The elements list show it's not just a TC glued onto the RF 600. Had Canon considered doing that, I don't think they'd expect to sell many, as there doesn't seem to be a downside to just carrying the 2x TC with the 600. I'm betting there's something more useful than an extended 600 to this.

We'll just have to wait for 1) the full press release to come out, 2) Canon's chosen people to give reviews where they don't directly compare image quality between this and Canon's other big whites, and then 3) wait for the supply chain to unkink enough so that some of the forum dwellers are able to get some actual time with it. So, in other words, June :(.
There would be no reason to ever do that.
It would make more sense for them so sell a 600 with a built-in 2x teleconverter unless people would be dumb enough to pay more for a 1200 f/8 that is no better than a 600 f/4 with a 2x teleconverter.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There would be no reason to ever do that.
It would make more sense for them so sell a 600 with a built-in 2x teleconverter unless people would be dumb enough to pay more for a 1200 f/8 that is no better than a 600 f/4 with a 2x teleconverter.
I would hope that a built-in, non-removable 2x TC that is designed for that specific lens would give better image quality than using the external, 'generic' 2x TC.
Having said that, I don't know how much improvement you could get when doing that and this is more about having fewer moving parts on a huge, heavy lens.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
"Doing the math, this means that a human head would completely fill the frame at MFD"

My new portrait lens!
for portraits with eyes widened in fright, because the look in the dark mouth of this huge white bazooka :devilish:

now, for birders, they will have to decide whether they go for a 600mm f/4 plus 2x TC to be a bit more flexible or get the new 800mm. It'll also depend how well the latter one will work with TCs to get even more reach (and often catch more details of atmospheric blur :p)

• Haha
Upvote 0