Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM have begun shipping

Thanks for the reply. Just got the Meike 13mm and 18mm tubes to use with this lens. Feeling great about that purchase now.
Hopefully they mount. The RF 35 doesnt fit some tubes e.g. the Fotodiox Pro ones.
Was hoping to get tubes myself. It would be great if you posted back when they arrive to see if they work.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2021
313364071_20211014_122400_1855155_resized.jpg

Hi, thought I'd post a picture as a new registered user here. Got my RF 16mm f/2.8 delivered this morning. Posed it next to my nifty fifty! Exact same outer casing. The lens hood of the 50mm, the ES-65B fits on the 16mm lens as well but has some very minor showing in the corner of the picture in photo mode on my R6. In video mode with enhanced digital stabilization crop it shouldn't be noticeable I think. I did also order the accompanying hood as well, the ES-65C, but that hasn't shipped yet though.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hi, thought I'd post a picture as a new registered user here. Got my RF 16mm f/2.8 delivered this morning. Posed it next to my nifty fifty! Exact same outer casing. The lens hood of the 50mm, the ES-65B fits on the 16mm lens as well but has some very minor showing in the corner of the picture in photo mode on my R6. In video mode with enhanced digital stabilization crop it shouldn't be noticeable I think. I did also order the accompanying hood as well though, the ES-65C, but that hasn't shipped yet though.
Welcome and thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2021
One extra picture of the back of both lenses: same outer casing but a rather different optical element design. And also the 50mm appears so be made in Malaysia and the 16mm in Taiwan.

-1537615061_20211014_164644_1740790_resized.jpg

The 16mm also appears to make less focusing noises than the 50mm when used for video. But then off-course it also has less focusing to do as wider and slower lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
One extra picture of the back of both lenses: same outer casing but a rather different optical element design. And also the 50mm appears so be made in Malaysia and the 16mm in Taiwan.

View attachment 200765

The 16mm also appears to make less focusing noises than the 50mm when used for video. But then off-course it also has less focusing to do as wider and slower lens.
Thanks so much for sharing!
Where did you manage to get your lens so quickly?

Upvote 0
I just got my RF16 copy and wanted to share my first thoughts. And please hold on to your butts, strap in, as this will propably (not) shock you:

You can NOT (!) turn of the distortion correction, regardless whether you're shooting raw or jpg. You can trick your r-whatever into showing the whole picture (literally) when you slightly unscrew it from the mount, forcing the now not properly coupled lens to to show the whole "mess". It gets a lot wider, a lot more distorted, but interestingly does not show too dark corners. At least at infinity, that is. At the closest focussing distance it shows basically black corner-extremeties gets even more distortion and a much (!) narrower view. This lens focus breathes athletically.

Image quality, from what I could test so far, is okay-ish; the corrected image is nearly flat and shows basically no distortion, center is sharp, corners are unsurpisingly less so at f/2.8 but do get better at smaller apertures. I would guess that my EF 16-35 f4 L is probably a whole lot better (when compared at the same apertures).

But: It is tiny. And light. And to be honest: As a freakishly small lens for strolling around, hiking without too much gear or even cycling (for which I bought it) it ain't too bad a deal. At least so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I just got my RF16 copy and wanted to share my first thoughts. And please hold on to your butts, strap in, as this will propably (not) shock you:

You can NOT (!) turn of the distortion correction, regardless whether you're shooting raw or jpg. You can trick your r-whatever into showing the whole picture (literally) when you slightly unscrew it from the mount, forcing the now not properly coupled lens to to show the whole "mess". It gets a lot wider, a lot more distorted, but interestingly does not show too dark corners. At least at infinity, that is. At the closest focussing distance it shows basically black corner-extremeties gets even more distortion and a much (!) narrower view. This lens focus breathes athletically.

Image quality, from what I could test so far, is okay-ish; the corrected image is nearly flat and shows basically no distortion, center is sharp, corners are unsurpisingly less so at f/2.8 but do get better at smaller apertures. I would guess that my EF 16-35 f4 L is probably a whole lot better (when compared at the same apertures).

But: It is tiny. And light. And to be honest: As a freakishly small lens for strolling around, hiking without too much gear or even cycling (for which I bought it) it ain't too bad a deal. At least so far.
Thanks for the information. Agree, nothing surprising – it's a $300 FF ultrawide lens, and given that Canon 'forces' corrections on the RF 14-35L, I'd be surprised if they didn't do so on the 16/2.8. But I'm also not surprised that if delivers decent images, and a small, light and inexpensive lens that delivers decent images will end up in a lot of people's kits.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
An f/8 lens in 2021…meanwhile Sony just released the worlds lightest 70-200 f/2.8.

What’s happening to Canon?
Sony's lens is the world's lightest by 25 g. The Canon RF 70-200/2.8 is just 2% heavier. The Canon lens has a removable tripod collar, so it will probably be lighter without that than the Sony with just the removable foot taken off.

Meanwhile, Canon released a $650 zoom lens that goes to 400mm, a 600mm lens for $700 and an 800mm lens for $900.

What is happing to Canon is that they're going to sell a lot of these affordable lenses, and probably continue to gain more market share than Sony.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
The notion is interesting. With a 45mp R5, you can shoot from the hip and then later get a nice 10mp 35mm equivalent shot from almost anywhere in the frame. Some distortion correction software to "center" the image on the zone would facilitate this broad capture in the field, and compose "in the lab."

I have a pending patent application that discloses the concept of analyzing settings and condition to enable "digital zoom" only to reasonable image quality limits. Make the control ring a digital zoom ring to aid composition.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2021
Thanks so much for sharing!
Where did you manage to get your lens so quickly?
Gladly! I got it in the Netherlands from Kamera-Express. They're a large retailer operating in countries in North-Western Europe. I paid a smaller amount for the pre-order and in the mail arranging the rest of they payment it was mentioned that the link was valid for a limited time due to limited quantaties of this lens becoming available.

Upvote 0