Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM have begun shipping

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
No surprise, but Canon Price Watch is showing the 16mm f2.8 backordered or out of stock at all the major retailers including Canon. One third-party seller on Amazon shows seven in stock. Looks like first day preorders were a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

joseph ferraro

5DM4/R5 Macro
Apr 16, 2020
Mine just arrived from B&H. I'm guessing others are getting theirs too.
yup. Mine arrived about an hour ago. I quickly threw it on just to test it for a second. I plan if I have time on doing some better tests over the weekend, depending on my work load. At a first glance, and only looking at results on back of the camera, it looks fantastic to me. Primarily going to use this for wide angle close up work and comparing how the Venus 15mm works, this is going to be dreamy to use.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Mine arrived from Adorama this morning. Super nice lens, really enjoying it! Surprised by the image quality, and how much wider it is uncorrected. Honestly. the uncorrected view may be useful for some if they need a wider lens and aren't worried about corrections.

Well worth the low price for a lot of people. I easily feel like this lens will outsell the nifty fifty quite a bit. Makes more sense for consumers to buy a focal length they don't already have in their kit zooms, plus it's a great selfie lens.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
At a first glance, and only looking at results on back of the camera, it looks fantastic to me...
Just a word of caution. It looked to me like the preview jpg on the back of the camera is a corrected view, while when I downloaded images to Photoshop they are uncorrected (in raw). Of course, I could be wrong. I'm sure others will weigh in.

I actually like the look of an uncorrected wide angle, but that is just me.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just a word of caution. It looked to me like the preview jpg on the back of the camera is a corrected view, while when I downloaded images to Photoshop they are uncorrected (in raw). Of course, I could be wrong. I'm sure others will weigh in.

Yes, LR is, as usual, lacking support. Maybe they'll add support for this lens after adding support for R cameras newer than the R, which is also still lacking.

DPP4 does great work correcting this lens, it sadly lacks an option to turn *off* corrections.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Got my 100-400 yesterday. Haven't really taken it out yet, but 1st impressions are it's VERY light, focuses really quickly and the images appear to be very sharp. Close focus is impressive, right around 3 feet at 400mm.
Another thing is the zoom ring is very smooth and damped well - L lens like! I love the contoured shape of the ring, too, fits like a glove in the hand.

Upvote 0

joseph ferraro

5DM4/R5 Macro
Apr 16, 2020

no caution needed, I looked in LR and PS too, I don't have any correction setting on my R5 on either, so I haven't tested if it actually is applying any corrections to the jpg preview either as I only shoot raw files in my workflow. I am also really only testing it on MF at the absolute closest focus where even uncorrected in LR they aren't looking too bad, and I fully expect some distortions in a lens like this. I had read people are using the canon 24-240 profile at 120-130% as a starting point for corrections as well, it is a starting point but YMMV.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
Yes, LR is, as usual, lacking support. Maybe they'll add support for this lens after adding support for R cameras newer than the R, which is also still lacking.

DPP4 does great work correcting this lens, it sadly lacks an option to turn *off* corrections.
What do you mean by LR lacking support for R cameras newer than the R? It handles my RP, and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the R5 or R6.

Doesn't it usually take LR at least a few weeks to support new lenses?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What do you mean by LR lacking support for R cameras newer than the R? It handles my RP, and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the R5 or R6.

Doesn't it usually take LR at least a few weeks to support new lenses?
He is referring to the Camera specific profiles. I don't use them but some people do.

Upvote 0

joseph ferraro

5DM4/R5 Macro
Apr 16, 2020
Mine arrived from Adorama this morning. Super nice lens, really enjoying it! Surprised by the image quality, and how much wider it is uncorrected. Honestly. the uncorrected view may be useful for some if they need a wider lens and aren't worried about corrections.

Well worth the low price for a lot of people. I easily feel like this lens will outsell the nifty fifty quite a bit. Makes more sense for consumers to buy a focal length they don't already have in their kit zooms, plus it's a great selfie lens.
and yeah - it's a baked in sorta corrected jpg preview even if you have all that off it seems on

no caution needed, I looked in LR and PS too, I don't have any correction setting on my R5 on either, so I haven't tested if it actually is applying any corrections to the jpg preview either as I only shoot raw files in my workflow. I am also really only testing it on MF at the absolute closest focus where even uncorrected in LR they aren't looking too bad, and I fully expect some distortions in a lens like this. I had read people are using the canon 24-240 profile at 120-130% as a starting point for corrections as well, it is a starting point but YMMV.
and yeah it seems there is a baked in corrected preview in the raws after rechecking my LR catalog.. which is fine if you want to extract the raw preview to compare a correction against.

Upvote 0