Canon RF 24-105 F2.8L IS USM Z Previews / Reviews

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There’s been a lot of excitement with the new Canon RF 24-105 F2.8L. I find it great when Canon flexes its vast engineering and optical expertise and creates something truly unique. It’s been a great month or so for Canon and well, for me too writing about it. There’s been a lot of previews released

See full article...

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Appears to be a very competent lens aimed primarily at videographers, although may be desired by event photographers too, especially as it is likely to be both sharp and versatile. However, at almost 1600 g or 3.5 lbs with the PZ-E2B power zoom accessory attached, it is even heavier than my 28-70 f2. It is laudable that Canon is using the shorter flange distance afforded by the RF mount to produce more bespoke lenses tailored to different use scenarios. At 200 mm in length (8 inches) it is almost as long as my 300 f4, so probably too long for gimbals (perhaps I will be proven wrong..we shall soon see), but for documentary shooting on a tripod or rails will be superb, especially when then zoom is controlled remotely using the app on a smartphone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Appears to be a very competent lens aimed primarily at videographers, although may be desired by event photographers too, especially as it is likely to be both sharp and versatile. However, at almost 1600 g or 3.5 lbs with the PZ-E2B power zoom accessory attached, it is even heavier than my 28-70 f2. It is laudable that Canon is using the shorter flange distance afforded by the RF mount to produce more bespoke lenses tailored to different use scenarios. At 200 mm in length (8 inches) it is almost as long as my 300 f4, so probably too long for gimbals (perhaps I will be proven wrong..we shall soon see), but for documentary shooting on a tripod or rails will be superb, especially when then zoom is controlled remotely using the app on a smartphone.
It's workable on mid-size gimbal, just don't expect 360 movement due to lens length.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Mine arrived today. I have not been able to shoot more than a few people enjoying an end of year cocktail party at my local shop, Camtec Photo in Montreal, but. Wow, so far very impressed.

I am quick to shit on Canon for not having a 50 1.4, an 85 1.8 non macro and a 28 f2, and I will no doubt continue to until they launch a solid 50 1.4. I will more than likely sell my 50 1.2 for a good 1.4 that fits in a pocket.

Back to the 24-105, the throw from 24 to 105 is short and super smooth, I love it. The close focus is over the top and it is blistering sharp. It will be hard to be discreet with this lens, I will keep the f 4 version for the streets.......maybe, lets see if I actually do after seeing how stellar this lens is.

When canon does something, the do it well, now if only they can apply themselves to the staples!
I will try and post some street pix in the coming days,

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@Kiton,
Will appreciate hearing your thoughts after a few days of use. I feel the lens has some strong leanings towards cinema cameras. I'm sure its going to take beautiful still photos. I think we are going to see some new RF cinema cameras in 2024 and this lens is going to be the first of good things to come.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
Thank you @shadowsports
I have not had time to shoot, other than running out to the market to get food for a dinner with friends. I shot the party but I am not posting those pix.

This image is at 3200, 2.8 at 105mm on the R6 2
I actually prefer the R6 2 over my R5 for high iso.

The lens does not carry well, it is awkward over the shoulder psychologically, it feels too much like an 80-200 in your hand!!
(yes, I am old school, I started shooting before zooms and still default to calling it an 80-200)
Once you remind yourself it is the 24-105, it performs very well and is very bright and sharp.

I shoot a lot of low light events and I think I will learn to love this lens, but the physical size of it will take some adaptation.
I started with a 180 2.8 on the left shoulder and a 24mm on the right shoulder. There have been a lot of change over the years, but feeling like you are carrying two long zooms is a little more awkward than it sounds!

Edit:

I should add, once the lens is in your hand, it is very well balanced and feels good, it is just awkward on the shoulder!
And the custom function option on the side of the lens, which I opt to use as single shot /Servo focus switching, is perfected located for my average sized hands.

Attachments

• 105 test 9971e.jpg
    105 test 9971e.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Greetings,
Happy New Year. Size and weight were two things I looked at when the lens was announced. Like the 28-70 @95mm the 24-105 Z is a beast and is almost 3 inches longer and a nearly full pound heavier than my 24-70. Only the foot comes off the collar (which isn't a bad thing), but adds to the overall bulkiness of the lens.

I am in no way implying the lens is lacking. Its not and I know its going to take beautiful photos. I started looking at it more seriously about 2 weeks ago. Where I might use it and could it compliment or replace some of my existing kit. I like the size and weight of the 24-70. It was my first RF lens and remains a favorite. I am also not bothered that the that the 24-70 and 70-200 are external zooms. You can't use an extender with the new Z lens, nor would I even consider it. The AF Stop feature for Servo AF is something new and is very interesting.

I do still believe it's going to be a dream for cinema cameras. Anyway, when you have time we'll be happy to see some photos.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
I heard from a source over the weekend that the R6 M2 will get a firmware update to support the IRIS ring on the 24-105 2.8 lens
I have been using this lens a lot, most of the assignments shot mean I can not post images here, but I have come to LOVE this lens!
I am quick to crap on Canon for not having 28/50/85 f2 small primes but jesus they nailed this lens!!

I am not sure I would ever use the iris ring.
I have set the control button on the left side to toggle between AI Servo and one shot and that button is in the perfect spot.

The lens is close to perfect, despite feeling like you have a 70-200 on your shoulder, I am starting to get over that feeling that the wrong lens is on the wrong shoulder.
I shot a week long project with the long on an R5 on the left, the 24-105 2.8 on the R6 on the right and a 50 1.2 on an R5 around my neck or sometimes just 2 bodies and the 50 in the bag. It is a perfect setup and the 24-105 2.8 did the bulk of the work.

An editor knocked this combo to the floor during some head shots, I found the lens mount tore apart rather easily compared to a 70-200 2.8,
but maybe it was just a bad break the way it fell. I did not see it, I just heard it.
Thankfully Canon has one in the pool for me to use while they repair it. I really do not want to go back to the f4 version except for a walk about lens.

I almost feel badly for shitting on Canon so much for the lack of the golden trio primes........almost ;)

IMG_3669.JPGIMG_3671.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0