Canon RF 24-240 operating temperature

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I've got a RF 24-240 that has trouble in freezing temperatures. When the temp is below 0C/32F, the image stabilizer squeals and doesn't engage. In fact I think it is being counterproductive to stabilization. The problem gets worse the colder it gets. I had it out at -20C/-5F and the squeal was LOUD.

Today I brought it in to the camera shop where I bought it. The sales guy said non-L lenses are not designed to be operated at temps below freezing, and that I should have gotten an L lens instead. Is this true? None of the inserts that came with the box indicated operating temperature, and a google search turned up very little.

I have several other lenses with IS/VR and I'm familiar with the normal operating sound, They work fine at -20C/5F and I'm pretty sure I've had them out in -30C/-20F and lower (I live in Canada) and everything worked fine.

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
In a spot check of half a dozen EF and RF mount camera body specs at Canon USA, all of the bodies listed an "operating environment" of 32-104F. That being said I have had no problems using my cameras below 32F in Wisconsin. I do own the RF 24-240, but I don't think I've used it in temperatures as cold as you mention. I'll try it and report back.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0