Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS to come before EF version [CR2]

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Aren't the Mk III versions of the 300 and 500 due out this year?
You have a point here, but consider the market for these Big Whites. Many photographers investing in these lenses will be happier knowing that they will be 100% compatible with EOS R, and some of the updates will include allowing the Big Whites to use all the R features, including that great spread of AF points, even with an extender.

Canon may have determined that building a new Big White from scratch for the RF mount would take too long and cost too much, especially when the EOS R lineup doesn't YET have a body that appeals to somebody who demands 1DX II performance.

So, in short, a Big White update at this point will probably offer some weight reduction and new circuitry to take as much advantage as possible of the RF mount. The interesting question would be, are these the last EF Big White updates?

I don't believe that releasing a few lenses that have been in the pipeline tells us whether Canon has put further EF development on the shelf. The production, engineering, and marketing departments probably hash out this issue on a frequent basis.

For myself, any significant purchase at this point is going to be delayed until the R series has at least become a series. If I needed a legacy EF's focal length(s), I'd go with it only if absolutely necessary and RF didn't offer something comparable. Even if new EF lens prices don't drop, they will seem like a bargain compared to some of the RF offerings!

I have never scolded Canon for deciding to make the transition. I've simply asked questions about purchasing and selling strategies for current EF lens collections with RF being Canon's stated path.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Are they seriously not going to put IBIS in the R bodies? That’s ridiculous.

Canon will put IBIS in. but not in the 3 first gen EOS R bodies (low end, R, higher-end), it'll likely come the next round ... "Mk. II".

Future Canon IBIS will work in combination with IS in lenses, as with other brands. So RF lenses with IS do make sense.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the need to deliver a larger image circle, and the mechanism to move optics precisely while keeping them aligned works against compactness. Shift only may lead to a less bulky lens, but when adding the tilt and rotating mechanisms, the lens becomes bulkier. I prefer a more versatile lens than a compact but less versatile one, especially since most of the time it will be used on a tripod.
I should say "compact-er". Looking at the back of the EF version, I'm not sure how they can take advantage of there being no mirror in the way—if you enlarge that inner-most piece of glass and bring it closer it runs out out of wiggle room pretty quickly. Maybe they should have made the mount 60 mm wide!

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
CR Guy says, "The EF lens lineup is going to take a backseat to the RF line for the foreseeable future."

Man, I took so much flack on this forum for saying this here 90 days ago! :p

I was waiting for you to pop in with that. While I wasn't one giving you flack, I hope you aren't entirely correct.

Upvote 0
Not trying to be a smart Alec, but if you can't yet mount a lens on it how do you know you love it?
Yeah I know, a little excitable I admit. What I love about it is the lean compact size of the thing and the intuitive controls. It's those things that I live with day to day, so assuming the image quality is as good as the 5Div, I'm very happy. Yeah I wish it had two slots, and I wish they hadn't got rid of internal AND plug-in intervalometers with the R….

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah I know, a little excitable I admit. What I love about it is the lean compact size of the thing and the intuitive controls. It's those things that I live with day to day, so assuming the image quality is as good as the 5Div, I'm very happy. Yeah I wish it had two slots, and I wish they hadn't got rid of internal AND plug-in intervalometers with the R….
I think it will be a fine camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
CR Guy says, "The EF lens lineup is going to take a backseat to the RF line for the foreseeable future."

the old folks here who shot with canon for 50+ years know best......

they also say canon will make flapping mirror DSLR cameras forever. just like kodak will produce film forever.
well at least the name lives on....

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

Except that you weren't saying this. You were claiming that the existing lens models would suddenly become obsolete if Canon were to introduce a new mount.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon is going to be churning out more RF lenses than EF, and releasing a pro level mirrorless before long. They obviously know what the capabilities of the higher level camera will be, or they would not be going all in on RF lenses.

I have both a 5D MK IV and a R now, but only EF lenses and they work fine but larger ones are unbalanced, and the grip of the R does not fit as well as the MK IV.

As far as shooting every day ordinary images that do not require some of the higher FPS of the MK IV, and that's nearly 100% for me, the R does a better job of more consistent AF, the images are otherwise virtually identical.

Because of the poorer balance, it is more difficult to avoid motion blurring with the R at the same shutter speed where I have no problem with the 5D MK IV.

I've settled on my old 50mm f/2.5 macro as a normal lens for my R right now, it balances well and is a surprisingly good lens for under $100. I'm waiting for some more RF lenses that interest me, they would have to be something special and reasonably priced for me to give up my EF L lenses that work on both cameras.

If I decide to sell my MK IV, then the EF lenses will go as soon as a comparable RF lens exists.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Except that you weren't saying this. You were claiming that the existing lens models would suddenly become obsolete if Canon were to introduce a new mount.
Quote me on that. I used terms such a "glide path," etc. I spoke in terms of a couple of years EF models would start being discontinued. I had questions before the release about the performance and acceptance of an adapter. Many of you we're sure the new mirrorless body would just be another EF model.

"Legacy technology" and "obsolete" are not synonyms. If I ever did write something that suggested they were, I wrote poorly. More likely somebody misread, as we all tend to scan very quickly through the posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Is there no option for intervalometer externally on the R either? External remote control?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Quote me on that.
How else would you explain the whole topic that you started?
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ew-ff-mirrorless-uses-a-new-lens-mount.35380/

I used terms such a "glide path," etc. I spoke in terms of a couple of years EF models would start being discontinued.
In the current rumor: "We’ve also been told that an EF version of such a lens is also in the works. "

Do you really think that it is what you were predicting?

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
In the current rumor: "We’ve also been told that an EF version of such a lens is also in the works. "

well I read in the rumor:
We’re now told that the RF version of the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS will come ahead of an EF version. Though the source did say that it’s possible the EF version never comes,

it will never come. EF is done. As are slapping mirrors (although I do expect one last, final iteration of Canon DSLRs).

Upvote 0
On sensor image stabilization is something that Canon didn’t include because of cost and target market (again this camera was not really designed for pro video work)

Doesn't *pro* video make use of tripods, steadicam harnesses and suchlike (forgive me if my terminology is inaccurate), so IS is much less important? I thought it was mainly the enthusiast/low budget indie film-makers/video students who cared about that?

Upvote 0