Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L & RF 85mm f/1.2L in the works [CR1]

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
The fly in the ointment regarding AF accuracy is that as we age our eyesight diminishes, sadly, I would not go for manual focus.;)

Jack
Another reason that the R is perfect for our old eyes... I use AF but touch up focus sometimes. The R rewards me with manual focus "assist" with focus highlighting or the focus arrows. If the R picks the wrong eye (in my mind) I instantly make minor adjustment and fire. My actual success rate is higher than I had with the EOS DSLRs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Regarding mirrorless, perhaps a dumb question but I'm wondering if the AF point sensitivity varies in the same way that it does with a DSLR - the centre is most sensitive and then it falls off depending on the particular lens used. I seem to recall this is a function of the lens and peripheral light transmission. For example if you are shooting with a X2 and at F8 or beyond are the outer points essentially useless ?

Jack

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I still don't follow all the discussion about having one eye in focus and one eye out of focus. I've seen only a handful of pictures that work in my opinion with composition like that, certainly not enough for that to be someone's prime camera criterion.

If someone has a link to a Great One-Eyed Portraits site or know of a good photographer who does neat things with that style, please post.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It's called Cognative Dissonance. I have a Supercharged V8 Jag convertible....most people's opening comment when they see it for the first time...is..."Wow I bet that drinks fuel". Same dissonance. If they can't have...they diss. It's natural and normal although sad and jarring.
Next time, just tell these people a V8 Jaguar deserves every gallon of fuel it quenches its thirst with.
I love this car !

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What a way to dig up a 1.5 year old thread :ROFLMAO:

Also, is 'durst' (German for thirst) actually a word you can use in English? :unsure:

No, but just change that "d" to a theta sound, and it's so close no one will notice. (No meaningful difference between the almost-nonexistent vowels in "thurst" [hypothetical but rhymes with "worst"] and "thirst" by the time we get done mangling them.)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No, but just change that "d" to a theta sound, and it's so close no one will notice. (No meaningful difference between the almost-nonexistent vowels in "thurst" [hypothetical but rhymes with "worst"] and "thirst" by the time we get done mangling them.)
Sorry for the "durst".
I was just translating a letter from a Swiss friend at that time, and, as the French saying goes, "mixing up my pedals"...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I used to have a Durst M605 Color, I still have the negative carrier and a couple of lenses off it. Wow that is a memory from the past!
I can't remember specifics, but I know my last one had a head that could dial in colors for variable contrast paper, maybe balance for color prints. I'm not sure now. Many years ago, I used it to make Cibachrome prints, starting in my dorm room in grad school.

About 15 years ago I lived in a house that had an extensive guest bathroom that had the laundry area in the back. The room had no windows, a good bit of counter space, and of course running water. I realized that I had not ever used the darkroom equipment since I had lived there, even though I had the perfect space. About that time my secretary was taking art courses at the community college. She was in a photography class and was having a hard time getting on the schedule to use the darkroom. So I asked her how she would like to have her own darkroom equipment and not have to worry about the schedule. So that is where the enlarger and its associated equipment wound up.

Upvote 0