Canon RF 400mm f2.8 L review by Christopher Frost

Aug 27, 2019
One could also check reviews of the EF version, since they’re essentially the same lens.
Yeah same optics, I do like the option not having to use the RF to EF adaptor while using a TC with the "new" RF versions. Not sure that is enough to ignore the savings of picking up the EF version tho.

I used the EF 400 F2.8 III via CPS test drive a few weeks ago and I am sold.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
since they’re essentially the same lens.
"Just" the optics. The AF drive and the electronics are different. It would be interesting to compare both lenses if the performance is improved.

And I wonder what
Der duale Fokusantrieb sorgt mit kompatiblen Kameras für einen schnelleren Autofokus.
means.
(The dual AF drive gives you faster AF with compatible cameras)
Quoted the German homepage of Canon.
There is nothing similar on the page of the EF 400 2.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
"Just" the optics. The AF drive and the electronics are different. It would be interesting to compare both lenses if the performance is improved.

And I wonder what

means.
I suspect it's the same "Dual nano-USM" Canon is putting in other RF L lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

And I wonder what

means.
‘Compatible cameras’ may mean those with high voltage batteries like the R3. That’s true for EF supertele lenses, as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Or have I justed missed a offical statement the AF being faster with a 1 series body?
Not an ‘official statement’ per se, but mentioned on a few occasions by Chuck Westfall (Canon USA’s technical mouthpiece, sadly now deceased). For example, “In addition, the EOS-1D X achieves a higher lens motor drive speed with select L-series USM telephoto lenses than the 5D Mark III because of the 1D X’s more powerful battery pack.” (link) In other statements, he specified he is referring to EF supertele lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0