Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon is on track to have both the RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM and RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lenses ship before the end of the year.
These are the next products to be announced by Canon:

Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM
Lens Hood ET-83F (W III)
Stereo Microphone DM-E100
Tripod Grio HG100-TBR

Pricing for the above gear has no leaked at this time, but we’ll let you know once it does.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
And yet, I have not seen anywhere how you will zoom on this new 70-200. Perhaps you will do it by extending the lens, but I found it intriguing that people who were able to handle this new lens were not able to demonstrate this.

You can see the zoom lock switch in a lot of the photos, and ephotozine.com has already confirmed it is an extending design (see the remark from the editor in the comments section).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Do you have a source for this? I have seen absolutely no evidence that it is internal focus, and quite compelling evidence to the contrary.
Internal focus, not internal zoom. The zoom is external, the focus is internal. Very, very few L lenses externally focus, besides maybe the EF 85mm f/1.2.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It'll be very interesting to see how they both perform. I would suspect that the 70-200 RF will perform much like its EF brother, which is to say excellent. The 85 also, though I want to see how that DS feature performs.
Be aware that the DS feature cannot be turned off and is effective at wide apertures only. DS is accomplished by adding a specially coated element to the glass already in the lens, so you lose about 1 stop.

Upvote 0
Be aware that the DS feature cannot be turned off and is effective at wide apertures only. DS is accomplished by adding a specially coated element to the glass already in the lens, so you lose about 1 stop.

Has this fact been officially put out there by Canon? Just that it was something I was wondering about.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Will love that 70-200 lens if it is smaller and internal zoom like current 70-200. Don’t want an extending zoom as they are magnets for dust and sand in landscape (especially dunes).
1. It is an extending design
2. Canon 100-400 II L is an extending design but sealed pretty well, does not suffer from dust ingress, same with 24-70/2.8 II

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
And yet, I have not seen anywhere how you will zoom on this new 70-200. Perhaps you will do it by extending the lens, but I found it intriguing that people who were able to handle this new lens were not able to demonstrate this.
Have there actually been any hands-on reviews of this? Every "preview" of this lens I've seen noted that they just had the spec list and that the physical object they saw was a non-functioning mockup.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Has this fact been officially put out there by Canon? Just that it was something I was wondering about.
Yes. I f you go to their website, Rudy does a demonstration. It is actually 1.5 stops light transmission difference. I personally did not find the difference between the two to make a difference to me. In other words, I am happy with what I have. I won't be missing anything.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...RF-85mm-F12-L-USM-vs-the-RF-86mm-F12-L-USM-DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0