Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
No because the 11-24 is a zoom! ;)

I use a 35mm prime extensively and feel people that use a 35 and a 50 are being a little obtuse, with the MP we have few people couldn’t crop their 35mm shot to their desired 50mm shot just so long as they dont fall into the ‘fill the frame with the subject’ error that people make when conflating perspective and effective fov. Stand back and crop and the 35mm shot is identical to the 50mm image just fewer MP and fractionally different dof.

Anybody that says there is a massive difference between 35 and 50 just doesn’t get optics and perspective.

I agree with you 100%. But I couldn't help myself and now have both. You see, the kids, just growing out of the toddler phase, are running a little farther away now when they see the camera come out, and that extra 15mm makes all the difference.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I agree with you 100%. But I couldn't help myself and now have both. You see, the kids, just growing out of the toddler phase, are running a little farther away now when they see the camera come out, and that extra 15mm makes all the difference.

And of course your camera has to have sufficient resolution that the crop won't show its limitations when (if) you make a (large?) print.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
As usual, the point is often lost on me. ;) Then again "zooming with one's feet" comes to mind, as mentioned here in the forum, so many times in reference to primes... which I did with the first two and not the third. ;) While I can see the perspective brought up in cramped indoor shots, I don't think is is an issue outdoors with more room to move. Hope that makes sense.

I've always hated the expression "zoom with your feet", because it's not zooming! Zooming does not change perspective, whereas walking does.

Besides that, for far away objects it can be impractical to get closer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've always hated the expression "zoom with your feet", because it's not zooming! Zooming does not change perspective, whereas walking does.

Besides that, for far away objects it can be impractical to get closer.
True, but not when taking a portrait. ;) You have a point with the Grand Canyon of Eiffel Tower.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Indeed! I got the EF 50 1.4 as my first EF prime and still have it. I got the EF 35 f2 IS a few years ago and it basically lives on one of my bodies. If I know I am doing half portraits and head and shoulders etc its the 50, tighter and it is the 100 L Macro. But as a general lens I haven’t found anything to beat the combination of size and weight , features , image quality, and just all around usability than that modest little cheap EF 35 f2 IS.

Indeed if I had to replace it all tomorrow, despite that fact that I own a good number of exotic specialized lenses, it would be the cheapest four I’d replace first, the 35 IS, the 100 L macro, the 15 fisheye and the 50 1.4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
...if for the 35 lens you use the same absolute aperture as for the 50 lens.

So, for 35/1.4 and 50/2.0 it would work.

For 50/1.2, you would need a 35/0.7.
That’s is why I said
Stand back and crop and the 35mm shot is identical to the 50mm image just fewer MP and fractionally different dof.
[/QUOTE

Upvote 0
Yes, Canon makes decisions customers don't understand. But you seem to be lumping their first production model of mirrorless with ultra mission-critical bodies such as the 1DX...Canon might well be releasing a nuclear-strike hardened body in 2020 (and I'm hoping a 5D type of mirrorless in 2021).

Since when did successful wedding photographers feel compelled to switch from 1DX bodies to mirrorless? And why does it frustrate you that Canon is not following your schedule? Is your business going to be threatened because you haven't switched to mirrorless? I'd sincerely care to hear your reasoning regarding this point.

Yes, a dual-slot pro body will be welcomed when it arrives, but why, in the meantime, are you seemingly continuing to be fascinated by the EOS R? Have you tried it?

And, please, tell us how many times you have had cards fail over how many years? And how many full and happy cards between failures?

Again, it comes down to the benefits of using the R and its lenses against the risk of a card failure at the worst possible moment. Your decision. Sorry I can't get too worked up about the issue at this point, though if it happened to me, I'd be right with you.
"But you seem to be lumping their first production model of mirrorless with ultra mission-critical bodies such as the 1DX." It is not his first production model of mirrorless. They have a lot of experience with mirrorless. In fact, they are Nº 1 seller of mirrorless in Japan (before Eos R). And, I am not talking about "ultra mission-critical bodies as the 1DX". 5D Mark IV have 2 card slots. Canon 90D record in 4K without crop.

"Since when did successful wedding photographers feel compelled to switch from 1DX bodies to mirrorless?" Who said nothing about that?? I have a 5D Mark IV and I am happy with it. But new RF lenses are obviously better in sharpness and performance with low light. That´s interesting to me.

"And why does it frustrate you that Canon is not following your schedule?" Stupid question. Nothing to answer.

Is your business going to be threatened because you haven't switched to mirrorless? I think I did not say nothing about that. ¿?

And yes, I tried Canon Eos R. Good camera. Similar to 5D Mark IV in a lot of things. Better in low light. Not better in other things like burst. What´s the point of your question?

Nothing more to comment to you. I express myself because maybe someone could give me any idea about why Canon is doing some things. Instead of answer me, you tried to attack me with absurd questions. If you feel happy doing that, good for you.

And final thougth, just hope you never have a problem with an SD card in a paid job.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Mission critical = whatever is critical to one's mission. The R meets that level for me. A 1DX Mark III would not. The 1 DX Mark III is not the be all to end all for all people. For some, it is completely undesirable... and not just because of price. So all the hand wringing, especially from those who will never buy is a little silly. It matters not what camera "A" does when camera "B" does all one wants. Even if the 1DX series did everything I want, I wouldn't buy because it does too much for what I want.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
"But you seem to be lumping their first production model of mirrorless with ultra mission-critical bodies such as the 1DX." It is not his first production model of mirrorless. They have a lot of experience with mirrorless. In fact, they are Nº 1 seller of mirrorless in Japan (before Eos R). And, I am not talking about "ultra mission-critical bodies as the 1DX". 5D Mark IV have 2 card slots. Canon 90D record in 4K without crop.

"Since when did successful wedding photographers feel compelled to switch from 1DX bodies to mirrorless?" Who said nothing about that?? I have a 5D Mark IV and I am happy with it. But new RF lenses are obviously better in sharpness and performance with low light. That´s interesting to me.

"And why does it frustrate you that Canon is not following your schedule?" Stupid question. Nothing to answer.

Is your business going to be threatened because you haven't switched to mirrorless? I think I did not say nothing about that. ¿?

And yes, I tried Canon Eos R. Good camera. Similar to 5D Mark IV in a lot of things. Better in low light. Not better in other things like burst. What´s the point of your question?

Nothing more to comment to you. I express myself because maybe someone could give me any idea about why Canon is doing some things. Instead of answer me, you tried to attack me with absurd questions. If you feel happy doing that, good for you.

And final thougth, just hope you never have a problem with an SD card in a paid job.

The tone of your posts suggested, to me, that Canon not having a dual-slot body available at this time was a threat to your standing in the wedding photography business. I sensed frustration. Sorry for making the assumption.

And, yes, you are right, Canon has been selling mirrorless bodies for years. I meant specifically full frame, which seems to be a favorite among wedding photographers.

Did you miss my question about ever losing images because a card failed?

We agree: It would be nice for Canon to produce a FF mirrorless body with dual slots. Personally, the value the RF primes brings to my photography is worth the risk of using a body with one slot--but I would not choose to use the R as the primary body at a wedding (which I clearly implied in earlier posts).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Poor man's DS filter for the EF 85mm 1.4 ( I should test this with a central focus rather than off side, will try again tomorrow in the daylight).
Looks like your "filter" just adds flare.

Maybe some mechanical vignetting too. Hard to judge by such a dark image.

The proper DS filter placement is inside the lens near the diaphragm.

Upvote 0
Exellent news. Hopefully the RF will make EF 70-200 2.8 more affordable.
Not sure that this will happen... the 5Div did not drop in price once the R was released. Although there might be some cannibalisation the production cost of the EF version would not have changed and Canon will try to maximise profit where possible. Some will prefer the EF version to avoid any weather sealing questions but the RF native should perform better with the new interface... and in the future with IBIS.

Upvote 0
When a client is paying you to capture unique moments that cannot be repeated, to take risk is not an option. I have to buy a camera that I only should use for details like you said? It´s that a joke? To spend 2000 dollars in a camera with one slot is not an option if you are a wedding photographer and don´t want to take risk. Among other things, because my prestige (and my money should be in risk). And I don´t understand why Canon do it. 2 slot is something really basic in a profesional camera.
Outside of the box thinking... is there any reason why there aren't options for micro SD cards instead of full sized SD cards? I get that they are harder to handle but you can get UHS II versions if they are really required so technically there shouldn't be a difference. 2 should fit in the space of 1 SD card stacked. The (unfortunate!) removal of SD slot from macbooks means a card reader is needed irrespective. Other PC users would need to use a card reader or micro->normal SD adapter instead.

As the Sony Pro Duo memory stick are so expensive, there are adaptors for 2 x micro SD cards in one pro duo card eg
That said, the pro duo is actually physically smaller than a SD card. In theory a SD adaptor could hold 2 x Micro SD cards giving us the infamous dual SD card redundancy. Does a product exist for this??? Not that I can find :-(
SD card 32x24x2.1mm
pro duo 31x20x1.6mm
micro SD 15x11x1mm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TO
Outside of the box thinking... is there any reason why there aren't options for micro SD cards instead of full sized SD cards? I get that they are harder to handle but you can get UHS II versions if they are really required so technically there shouldn't be a difference. 2 should fit in the space of 1 SD card stacked. The (unfortunate!) removal of SD slot from macbooks means a card reader is needed irrespective. Other PC users would need to use a card reader or micro->normal SD adapter instead.

As the Sony Pro Duo memory stick are so expensive, there are adaptors for 2 x micro SD cards in one pro duo card eg
That said, the pro duo is actually physically smaller than a SD card. In theory a SD adaptor could hold 2 x Micro SD cards giving us the infamous dual SD card redundancy. Does a product exist for this??? Not that I can find :-(
SD card 32x24x2.1mm
pro duo 31x20x1.6mm
micro SD 15x11x1mm
To add... I wasn't the first to think of this solution. A couple of threads discussing the option below. Summary is:
- Possible to do technically.
- Additional points of failure but would solve the failed card scenario.
- Could increase the latency.
- Could be much more complex/power etc if a RAID server/buffer is the solution vs a FIFO solution.
Nothing on the market at this time but I imagine that there would be some pent up market demand for such a product and probably more than a pro duo card market
Anyone have any contacts at possible manufacturers? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That lenses are excellent, like all the others RF lenses. But... When will release Canon a Eos R "Pro" with IBIS stabilization, 2 SD slots and 4K without crop????!!!!!????!!!!! That´s what every profesional photographer that I know are waiting for. And, by the way... what about a RF 35 mm 1.4 lens????????? 35mm is "The" lens. Come on Canon!!

Every professional photographer I know isn't waiting for anything. They're out hustling for a living with what they've already got. And many of them couldn't give a rodent's behind about 4K (or 2K, or 1080) video in their stills camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0