Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I beg to differ. If controller in the holder goes south you don’t lose files stored on cards. You won’t be able to write or read to cards via camera.

So what happens to the images in the buffer that haven't written to the card yet? What do you use for the remainder of your mission critical shoot?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You can but you better of shooting at native iso 100 with as ISO 50 is a “trickery” :)
Very true. I prefer an ND filter... but that's more trickery. ;) My last shoot I dropped to ISO 50 because the other guy I was shooting with always laughs when I put on an ND filter. I have no idea why he thinks that's funny... but I am gonna shoot f/1.2 in the blazing sun no matter what, by God! ;) Honestly, I should just stop down a little.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So what happens to the images in the buffer that haven't written to the card yet? What do you use for the remainder of your mission critical shoot?
all good questions:
yes, images in the buffer (a few shots)will be lost, however the card contents won't be. having 2000+ shots on the card at the end of the day is not a rare occurrence. having a few lost is irritating but not a cataclysmic event.
what do I do? I use a replacement card holder that I keep as a spare in my photo backpack. it's is a $2 item. :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Very true. I prefer an ND filter... but that's more trickery. ;) My last shoot I dropped to ISO 50 because the other guy I was shooting with always laughs when I put on an ND filter. I have no idea why he thinks that's funny... but I am gonna shoot f/1.2 in the blazing sun no matter what, by God! ;) Honestly, I should just stop down a little.
well, ask your guy an advice on how to achieve a 30 seconds long exposure in full sun without a ND filter. funny that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
well, ask your guy an advice on how to achieve a 30 seconds long exposure in full sun without a ND filter. funny that.

I can simulate the results of that. Open up Photoshop or GIMP, create a new document (sized appropriately for your sensor) and save it immediately, with just the white background. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
all good questions:
yes, images in the buffer (a few shots)will be lost, however the card contents won't be. having 2000+ shots on the card at the end of the day is not a rare occurrence. having a few lost is irritating but not a cataclysmic event.
what do I do? I use a replacement card holder that I keep as a spare in my photo backpack. it's is a $2 item. :)

Even when it happens during the "first kiss?"

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Even when it happens during the "first kiss?"
You are absolutely correct, Michael. Solution isn’t ideal. Therefore I always shoot to multiple cards.
however, saving to multiple cards via holder adapter provides some additional protection from a card failure. Not controller failure, of course.
To the same effect, and I like your intelligence, lest see what happens if shutter gives up or any other unfortunate camera fault take place during the first kiss? Oh, Schweppes....... or is it oh, Schweitzer? :)

Upvote 0