Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.

if Browser and OS versions are inconclusive, it could depend on the Internet Service Provider - some might use transparent proxies - transparent like in "you don't see that they are there", not like in "we make it transparent that we use one". That combined with a html header for last updated date which is different for mobile versus desktop versions of the page, could explain it.

Upvote 0

TrabimanUK

In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
Sep 19, 2013
Bristol, England
serendipidy said:
I have the same problem on my macbook pro using safari. This all started several weeks ago. Until then, I never noticed this. Something has changed with the site.

It seemed to coincide with the change of the site to the "new" logo. Before that it seemed fine.

Whilst I appreciate that changing a logo shouldn't affect anything, other settings might have been inadvertantly changed with a bit of "finger trouble" during the edit, as it definitely seems to only update when the Recent Rumors are updated (at least on IE9 on Windows at work and Safari on my Mac at home).

it is becoming a tad annoying now as it has been like this for a month now :(

Upvote 0
Since this thread started, I'm now using an all new Windows 7 PC build with only the latest I.E., Chrome and FireFox, the issue persists across all my available platforms.

Unfortunately, this thread and it's content appear stuck in a Catch 22 style logic loop. Since the post list doesn't refresh, this tread falls off the end of the list prior to admin's next view, admin never sees it, all that's posted here is for naught.

Oh well......

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
FWIW, the most recent update to the CR home page was the AFMA patent from Canon, posted yesterday. My list of the 10 most recent posts is current as of this morning (the post at the top of the list is from slightly less than 2 hours ago), using Safari on a Mac.

As an alternative to accessing the forums via the 10 most recent posts (which for you shows most recent relative to the last home page refresh), you could try using the unread posts or updates posts links on the forum home page. They're a bit subtle - it took me a while to run across them.

Attachments

• Recent Posts.png
    Recent Posts.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
......you could try using the unread posts or updates posts links on the forum home page......
I did find that option and use it.

Still, the site's home page, not the sub site that is the forums, does not refresh latest forum posts until an admin posts a new rumor post. It's become a long standing quirk.

Also, the mobile version appears to no longer exist, nor is there a link to mobile or desktop versions at the bottom of the home page. Using the desktop link on a mobile platform used to be a work around, even that has been gone for a month and a half or more.

I do not see any admin posts in this thread, causes me to wonder if admins have seen it.

Probably best, for me anyway, is to chalk the issue up as a First World Annoyance, admins likely have other, preferable things to do than chase down some errant code.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tolusina said:
Still, the site's home page, not the sub site that is the forums, does not refresh latest forum posts until an admin posts a new rumor post. It's become a long standing quirk.

Also, the mobile version appears to no longer exist, nor is there a link to mobile or desktop versions at the bottom of the home page. Using the desktop link on a mobile platform used to be a work around, even that has been gone for a month and a half or more.

I do not see any admin posts in this thread, causes me to wonder if admins have seen it.

Probably best, for me anyway, is to chalk the issue up as a First World Annoyance, admins likely have other, preferable things to do than chase down some errant code.

Agree that it's an annoyance. Some time back, I emailed CRguy about it, he replied that he dumped the site cache on his end. I'll send him another message...

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
The list of topics now appears to be updating normally (after I hit the refresh button in Firefox - which I was doing before all this started). Although I like the "Show unread posts since last visit" and "show new replies to your posts" features (which I found after the updating problem started), it's still handy to be able to see the very recent activity on the main page. Thanks to the CR folk for getting it fixed (and, for that matter, for the CR site).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
distant.star said:
Looks like the fix is in.

Glad to finally see that.

CRguy informed me that they identified the problematic plugin update and rolled it back. He didn't say, but I assume they installed that plugin for a reason, and that they'll try again at some point. BUt hopefully they'll be on the lookout for this issue in the future...

Upvote 0