Canon Rumors Site Not Updating When Page Refreshed, etc.

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
For me, not refreshing with Firefox. I have the same lineup as yesterday (as noted above). I have hit the refresh and cleared my cache, with no help.

I navigated to Canon Rumors using IE (don't know which version) and got a different, presumably more current, line up. I don't yet know whether it is updating.

I hope this isn't the new normal.....................

Upvote 0
I'm getting the same as the other day, no refresh on the desktop PC, no matter if I use Chrome, Firefox or IE, caches and history cleared or not.

A new twist I've observed using several phone browsers.
If I load CR on the phone, the mobile version loads, that, I assume by design, never hooks into the forums any way shape or form.
On the bottom of the mobile version is a link to the desktop site, if I click that, all seems well and I get a fresh page that shows recently updated forum posts.
Here's the mobile quirk I've found. If, instead of the page link, I use the browser's menu to load the desktop site, I then get the exact same stale page that I see on the PC.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
distant.star said:
Most surprising thing to me is there are people who actually use IE. If not gone, I thought IE was pretty well dead and nearly forgotten.

Always have a back up. If you really want a laugh, I still have Vista installed on this machine in the unlikely event 7 craps out :p

Upvote 0

TrabimanUK

In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
Sep 19, 2013
Bristol, England
Based on current observations, the site only refreshes now when a new story/rumour appears on the left, not when a new posting ocurs in the forum, so that could be several times a day, daily or even weekly depending on how many rumours are coming in :(

Any chance of bring back the live refresh please?

Upvote 0
TrabimanUK said:
Based on current observations, the site only refreshes now when a new story/rumour appears on the left, not when a new posting ocurs in the forum, so that could be several times a day, daily or even weekly depending on how many rumours are coming in :(

Well, I've given it enough time to realize this is exactly what's happening. So, this IS the new normal. A CR version of image stabilization.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
distant.star said:
TrabimanUK said:

Well, I've given it enough time to realize this is exactly what's happening. So, this IS the new normal. A CR version of image stabilization.

Maybe for you, but I would say it's clearly a browser-dependent phenomenon. This thread, which has been dormant until you posted it, shows up in the list of 10 topics on the right side of the CR homepage when I look at it right now. Near the top of that list is a new topic that was created only a few minutes ago. The rumors on the left have not been updated since early this morning.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In fact, when I just looked, this thread was seventh or eighth on that list. But when I just went back to the CR homepage after posting the above, this thread is now at the top of the list that I see. So whatever refresh problem or cache problem you are experiencing, it's clearly not universal.

EDIT: Or maybe, as they say, you don't have a bug you have a feature. I guess Apple's Safari on iOS just lacks that image stabilization feature. ;)

Upvote 0
i use firefox 25.0.1 and it is not refreshing. maybe there is a setting in the options for this individual site so you can turn off cache to force a reload? it always shows current posts on my android tablet using chrome and viewing the desktop site

updated firefox to 26 same thing no forum updating on right side of page.

i opened up ie and checked the page and its identical to the nonrefreshing version i am seeing in firefox! i have not used ie for months so it cant have the same cache data, this is really weird. chrome on the android tablet updates just fine, it will show this post on this thread. r

cleared the cache in firefox and checked page, it shows up the same so it does not appear that its a browser issue of re displaying whats stored in the cache for that frame. the problem seems to be on the site side

Attachments

• cr frontpage.jpg
    cr frontpage.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
distant.star said:
TrabimanUK said:

Maybe for you, but I would say it's clearly a browser-dependent phenomenon. This thread, which has been dormant until you posted it, shows up in the list of 10 topics on the right side of the CR homepage when I look at it right now. Near the top of that list is a new topic that was created only a few minutes ago. The rumors on the left have not been updated since early this morning.

I'll have a hard time accepting "browser-dependent." Using three different browsers on two different computers with two different Windows operating systems, I get the same results.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
distant.star said:
Using ... Windows

Maybe we've found the problem? :eek: ;) 8)

Kidding!!!

But, actually, maybe...

distant.star said:
Using ... computers

...is the common denominator. Looking at two Macs with three browsers, all show the 7D firmware as the most recent post, from early this AM.

The list refreshes properly on my iPhone, candc says it works on his Android tablet, we're both viewing the desktop version of the site, but there may be different coding for desktop-on-mobile.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
But, actually, maybe...

distant.star said:
Using ... computers

...is the common denominator. Looking at two Macs with three browsers, all show the 7D firmware as the most recent post, from early this AM.

The list refreshes properly on my iPhone, candc says it works on his Android tablet, we're both viewing the desktop version of the site, but there may be different coding for desktop-on-mobile.

Indeed, that appears to be the case. Safari on my Mac shows the old list from the last rumor add, but when I set it to emulate the iOS version of Safari, then switch that from the mobile to the desktop version, it shows the properly refreshed list.

Upvote 0