Canon succeeds in capturing nighttime video of Yaeyama-hime fireflies using dedicated 35 mm full-fra

Re: Canon succeeds in capturing nighttime video of Yaeyama-hime fireflies using dedicated 35 mm full

Yawn.
Canon, you are now 3 years behind Sony, and by proxy, Nikon, in introducing reasonably priced full frame, high MP sensors. You don't have anything on the market that even comes close - you just keep rehashing the same old 18-22 MP stuff.

Stop messing around and fix your sensor production issues.

Canon is behind in the two things distinguish digital camera systems: lenses and sensors. All the other bells and whistles are just firmware and marketing - including the much talked about "dual focus system". Every manufacturer will have it or some variant in short order.

Nikon's lenses were always top notch, and now thanks to widely available low dispersion glass formulas and inexpensive computer measuring and computer controlled grinding, Sony, Sigma and everyone else has caught up. And at lower price points.

Canon's super high priced L glass would be justifiable IF they had super sensors. They don't. So Canon just looks like they are abusing their customers when equal or better performing glass from their competitors sells for many hundreds or even a thousand less.

If standard chip manufacturing progress is any indication, within a year Sony will be ready introduce the next generation of its large, high MP sensors as well as reduce the price of the sensors on the market now.

So quit farting around Canon - release your high end sensor, even if it means taking a loss on the body to keep it affordable OR license Sony's tech.

Time is not you your side.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon succeeds in capturing nighttime video of Yaeyama-hime fireflies using dedicated 35 mm full

UrbanVoyeur said:
Yawn.
Canon, you are now 3 years behind Sony, and by proxy, Nikon, in introducing reasonably priced full frame, high MP sensors. You don't have anything on the market that even comes close - you just keep rehashing the same old 18-22 MP stuff.

Stop messing around and fix your sensor production issues.

Canon is behind in the two things distinguish digital camera systems: lenses and sensors. All the other bells and whistles are just firmware and marketing - including the much talked about "dual focus system". Every manufacturer will have it or some variant in short order.

Nikon's lenses were always top notch, and now thanks to widely available low dispersion glass formulas and inexpensive computer measuring and computer controlled grinding, Sony, Sigma and everyone else has caught up. And at lower price points.

Canon's super high priced L glass would be justifiable IF they had super sensors. They don't. So Canon just looks like they are abusing their customers when equal or better performing glass from their competitors sells for many hundreds or even a thousand less.

If standard chip manufacturing progress is any indication, within a year Sony will be ready introduce the next generation of its large, high MP sensors as well as reduce the price of the sensors on the market now.

So quit farting around Canon - release your high end sensor, even if it means taking a loss on the body to keep it affordable OR license Sony's tech.

Time is not you your side.

Having just announced they want to move into security devices, then showing a sensor capable of low light video is eminently sensible imho.

Secondly, expanding your lines of business when there is serious competition and reduction in your digital camera business means you are able to still invest in those lines - effectively supporting them with the newer revenue streams....

People on this forum may not like the fact that canon mix video with their stills cameras, branch out into higher end video cameras for the movie industry and now are moving into security devices. But such moves are intended to keep the company growing, or at least reduce the losses from other lines of business so they can still make lenses and cameras we are interested in.

I, for one, hope they are successful...

Upvote 0

Stu_bert said:
People on this forum may not like the fact that canon mix video with their stills cameras, branch out into higher end video cameras for the movie industry and now are moving into security devices. But such moves are intended to keep the company growing, or at least reduce the losses from other lines of business so they can still make lenses and cameras we are interested in.

Security devices is a low margin, ridiculously competitive market. There's no money for Canon there.

Movie making? Really?
High end is dominated by Panavision, Sony and RED.
ENG/Documentary is Sony, Panasonic
Low End/Event/Budget is Sony, any DSLR and Panasonic.

The Canon cinema cameras so far have been over priced under performers with "me too" features and firmware crippled bodies. Too expensive for the causal/student/prosumer/low budget shooter and too low end in resolution, features and cross compatibility to compete at the high end.

Canon thinks too much like a DSLR camera maker to compete well in new markets. There systems are closed, filled with proprietary technology and standards, and the bodies and lenses are crippled by stripped down firmware.

Contrast that with Sony, RED or Panavision's high end gear. They give you access to all the features the hardware is capable of, make sure the gear is compatible with everybody's add-ons and go out of their way to make sure the post production path works with everyone's software almost from day one. And Canon's have no clear upgrade paths to better sensors without replacing the entire body - unlike Red, Panavision, and others.

In the mean time, Canon's flagship camera business, the DSLR is floundering. Way to tank your entire business.

Upvote 0

UrbanVoyeur said:
Security devices is a low margin, ridiculously competitive market. There's no money for Canon there.
Yes I am sure they announced their intention to move into that market without any research at all. But I am sure they would welcome your acute business acumen.... no wait, you don't run a multi-billion dollar company do you? ::)

UrbanVoyeur said:
Movie making? Really?
Yep, everything from the 5D MK II to the C500 has been a flop. Clearly there are only 4 manufacturers and everyone else should just pack up their bags and go home....

UrbanVoyeur said:
The Canon cinema cameras so far have been over priced under performers with "me too" features and firmware crippled bodies. Too expensive for the causal/student/prosumer/low budget shooter and too low end in resolution, features and cross compatibility to compete at the high end.

Canon thinks too much like a DSLR camera maker to compete well in new markets. There systems are closed, filled with proprietary technology and standards, and the bodies and lenses are crippled by stripped down firmware.

Contrast that with Sony, RED or Panavision's high end gear. They give you access to all the features the hardware is capable of, make sure the gear is compatible with everybody's add-ons and go out of their way to make sure the post production path works with everyone's software almost from day one. And Canon's have no clear upgrade paths to better sensors without replacing the entire body - unlike Red, Panavision, and others.

In the mean time, Canon's flagship camera business, the DSLR is floundering. Way to tank your entire business.

<yawn>
You're on this forum why exactly?

Upvote 0

Stu_bert said:
Yep, everything from the 5D MK II to the C500 has been a flop. Clearly there are only 4 manufacturers and everyone else should just pack up their bags and go home....
The DSLR (5D and others) *is* a success at the low end in film making and in some specialized other situations - which is precisely why the overpriced, under performing C series from Canon has been a flop. Yes, a flop. People can (and do) buy two superior prosumer, interchangeable lens Sony's, or one entry level RED or an entry level Pro Sony for the same price as the C series. All of which are with packed with features and outstanding glass. At the high end, no one is giving Canon a glance.

Of course there are more than 4 video camera manufacturers. But for film makers and serious video work, you've got to make a compelling product that is *better* than what's available. Heck, even "as good as for the same price" would be a start. Canon has not done that.

Stu_bert said:

Because I've been shooting Canon EOS since the early 90's their video products for over a decade and and I'm deeply disappointed in their latest batch of products.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Well I see a lot of C cameras out there. Haven't seen a 1DC in the wild yet but loads of 300's, 100's and a few 500's.

Interestingly every single one of them, except the two 500's, were EF mount, and I think that is how Canon have got any foothold in the video market, they can leverage their very good EF lens line, not ideal for video, but with the ability to get convertors for practically any lens onto EF mount it makes a compelling feature on a rather mundane spec sheet. For the multitude of photo pros that now offer video services, being able to multitask their lens stable is a huge feature.

Further, the CN-E lens line is very good for the price, I understood the PL versions are not a failure by any means. This means they are leveraging their lens designs into other systems via the PL mount and they are leveraging C camera sales via the EF mount and its near universal compatibility.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013

UrbanVoyeur said:
Stu_bert said:
The DSLR (5D and others) *is* a success at the low end in film making and in some specialized other situations - which is precisely why the overpriced, under performing C series from Canon has been a flop. Yes, a flop. People can (and do) buy two superior prosumer, interchangeable lens Sony's, or one entry level RED or an entry level Pro Sony for the same price as the C series. All of which are with packed with features and outstanding glass. At the high end, no one is giving Canon a glance.

Of course there are more than 4 video camera manufacturers. But for film makers and serious video work, you've got to make a compelling product that is *better* than what's available. Heck, even "as good as for the same price" would be a start. Canon has not done that.

Stu_bert said:

Because I've been shooting Canon EOS since the early 90's their video products for over a decade and and I'm deeply disappointed in their latest batch of products.

The difference between a DSLR and a RED is huge... but so is the price between the 2.
Me and a friend rented a RED for a weekend, it was $800 with 5 Zeiss lenses.

We couldn't imagine renting one for a 100 day full feature shoot.
Plus you have to remember that it will become ridiculously expensive in a multi-cam shoot.

And, thats just the body...

We are all feeling the after effects of the recession.

So DSLRs are cheaper and is an alternate solution. Everyone should remember that most of the Marvel movies are made from the 5Ds (First avenger being the first: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248035b051).

But given that budget is a concern with movies, who wouldn`t stoop to lower end cameras.
Canon saw the gap between DSLRs and studio cams and are trying to fill the gap with C500, C300 & 1DC.

Upvote 0

UrbanVoyeur said:
Stu_bert said:

Movie making? Really?

The C300 has become one of the most respected and sought after documentary and indie cameras available. It's ergonomics and image quality are universally praised.

In the "low end", Canon also dominates with the 5DII, 5DIII, 1Dx, even the 60D and T3i-T5i have been wildly popular with indie filmmakers. In fact very few low budget DSLR indie film makers shoot on anything but Canon. The Canon XA10, and now XA20 series, and XF100 - XF305 series are also very popular for ENG and Docs.

You must be living in some parallel universe.

Upvote 0

klickflip said:
yeah thats great! ... But Canon comon how many people are going to professionally shoot in near darkness?

R&D have lost the plot seriously.

That you do not have a use for it does not mean that others do not. Why high ISO sensitivity is good:

* Great for high speed shots outdoors
* Great for normal shooting indoors
* Great for astrophotography
* Great for night photography

Who could put that tech to use?

* photojournalists
* astronomers (pro and amateur alike)
* wedding photographers
* sports photographers
* spectators at airshows
* event photographers
* art photographers (shooting priceless art at museums w/o flash)
* architecture photographers

That you lack imagination does not mean that others cannot put the capability to use immediately.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

kimvette said:
klickflip said:
yeah thats great! ... But Canon comon how many people are going to professionally shoot in near darkness?

R&D have lost the plot seriously.

That you do not have a use for it does not mean that others do not. Why high ISO sensitivity is good:

* Great for high speed shots outdoors
* Great for normal shooting indoors
* Great for astrophotography
* Great for night photography

Who could put that tech to use?

* photojournalists
* astronomers (pro and amateur alike)
* wedding photographers
* sports photographers
* spectators at airshows
* event photographers
* art photographers (shooting priceless art at museums w/o flash)
* architecture photographers

That you lack imagination does not mean that others cannot put the capability to use immediately.

According to your post I just say: soulmate. Being a happy camper with my 5D3 since August 2012, I am looking forward to what will be around in the 5D league about six years from now. I was having much fun with my trusty and rusty 30D for five years till I upgraded to FF. So six years on, another purchase may be as exciting as it was when I unboxed my one year old baby... 8)

Upvote 0