Canon takes 3 out of 5 spots in BCN’s top cameras of 2023

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
BCN which aggregates Japan sales information in various tech industries released a report ahead of their 2023 awards showing that Canon placed in spots 3 to 5 in their overall aggregate camera line sales for 2023. I understand this summarizes the cameras independent of whether the camera was sold as part of a lens kit

See full article...

For Canon, it says cheap is popular. No surprise.

The absence of the R100 isn’t surprising, I suspect that is targeted at the developing world (like the xxxxD DSLRs).

Will be interesting to see the BCN Awards when they come out.

Cheap is popular, but i have long suspected it's kits that ebayers and the like that would break down into pieces to resell for profit that drove sales a bit.

it always seemed to be the dual lens kits, etc. that would sell well. Now typically they would be the bigger bargain, but you wouldn't expect everyone to want the more expensive kits.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017

BCN award 2023 released.
Canon is still doing great but mirrorless is no 2 this year.
I think sony zv-e10 is cheaper than R50 in Japan.
I think Canon may release R50 without evf this year to fight bacj zv-e10 ii .

On the other side
Canon tele lens are selling good in 2023.
I think 200-800mm must be the best tele selling in 2024.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

BCN award 2023 released.
Canon is still doing great but mirrorless is no 2 this year.
I think sony zv-e10 is cheaper than R50 in Japan.
I think Canon may release R50 without evf this year to fight bacj zv-e10 ii .

On the other side
Canon tele lens are selling good in 2023.
I think 200-800mm must be the best tele selling in 2024.
For all the people here claiming that a still-only camera (so no EVF or LCD, you take pictures blind) has a huuuuuuuge market, it’s weird to see a vlogging camera outsell everything else.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Super specialized market and it's difficult to generalize the information further. As others observed, the R5 gaining the greatest number of shots on Flickr apart from an iPhone speaks more to me.
But that heavily weighted towards people actually taking pictures, which is impossible for the spec-lovers. Those refuse to use inferior cameras and are perpetually waiting for the next announcement.

Upvote 0
But that heavily weighted towards people actually taking pictures, which is impossible for the spec-lovers. Those refuse to use inferior cameras and are perpetually waiting for the next announcement.
True, although I would say that Flickr users tend to be older than the Insta/tik tok crowd and "perhaps" weighted towards more photography that you can't do on a iphone or at least not easily. Who knows... they might also be shooting in raw and processing which is clearly a smaller subset of the "average" mirrorless buyer segment.
That is not to shade the iPhone as computational photography is clearly more than sufficient for most use-cases. It's HDR implementation is pretty good for quick shots. Canon/Nikon/Sony et al could learn a lot to improve their green mode dial implementation.

All that said, the R5 is a strange body to be #2 when cheaper bodies like the R6 or equivalent mid-priced bodies from other ecosystems are more bang-for-your-buck.

Upvote 0
Flickr's stats are photos taken, right? Maybe R5 owners take more pics/take more pics worth posting/are more likely to share on there etc. It's a totally different type of insight compared to sales (units or revenue).
Stats based on photos shared/uploaded. Maybe "higher quality" shots than Apple snapshots or maybe old guard Canon shooters like Flickr (like me).
Photos taken on a R5 would be a very different data point but my keeper rate is higher than my 5Div to the extent that it is hard to choose which best shot to share sometimes.
Sales and revenue data have their place for Canon's future viability but it is fun to see how Canon shooters share the results of their purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0