Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
So wait...the amount of feedback that Canon got for giving the EOS R 120fps in 720p and they're not even going to update the EOS R's 120fps to 1080p even though we all know it's capable of doing so?! Ugh...

How, exactly do ”we all” know that it’s capable of doing so?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
i mean now in late 2019 i meant to say back when the eos r came out.
Or, a much likelier possibility.... They didn't think anyone still used it or cared about it, and yhey were wrong so they put it back in.
Canon is too smart for that. Just like they dont put log in some cameras. They bank on not giving someone a camera with all the features. the framerate thing was just petty though. It is just a common feature that people use when they shoot video. Most professionals shoot 24 or 60 fps.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
They both run DIGIC 8 Processors. So, yes, the R is capable of doing 120fps.
A lot of canon cameras have weird limitations when shooting in 120 though. like no sound or no AF. Even the c200 loses the ability to have AF in 120. the c300 mk ii crops in. I dont know if digics is the reason why or maybe other issues.

Upvote 0
So now there's really no reason to not get an M6 ii. I'm not really in the market for a new camera, but if I was the M6 ii (with the added EVF) looks very capable. The lack of 24p would be a good excuse to not get the camera, especially since most previous cameras would do 24p. I think the other thing that pissed people off was that this was obviously software/FW crippling, and not anything inherent to a technical limitation.
I would have already spent the money on a m6ii if it has a built in evf. I still want to use my flashes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A lot of canon cameras have weird limitations when shooting in 120 though. like no sound or no AF. Even the c200 loses the ability to have AF in 120. the c300 mk ii crops in. I dont know if digics is the reason why or maybe other issues.
I think Canon purposely hinders limitations of certain cameras to not take away from others. I agree, the C200 SHOULD have AF in 120fps given that the 1DX Mark II has it, but they excluded it. I doubt hardware from a DSLR would be superior to hardware that's placed in a cinema camera.

Plus, we now know Canon hinders certain camera models with them updating these cameras with 24fps. Don't get me wrong though, I love my EOS R, but I do wish it at least had 120fps in 1080p. Oh well though. Just have to keep working with what I have and hopefully Canon will release a camera that really hits all my wants.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

First, three words: sensor readout speed. Second, "DIGIC 8" is a marketing term. DIGIC SoCs of the same generation share some commonalities, but there's little reason to assume that they're all exactly the same with regard to capabilities and performance. So no, it's not "we know", it's "you assume", and we all know what assumptions are worth.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Hence why they figured a camera aimed at amateurs didn't need it. These cameras aren't aimed at professionals and most people will just shoot at whatever resolution and framerate is the default setting.
Just because a big company aims something towards a group doesnt mean that that is only group that will buy it. Professional is a broad term that meanspeople that make money from an activity. Stop making excuses for them. Taking away 24fps is like taking away raw. You are hendering the overall usefulness by taking away a standard that has been around for decades in cheaper to expensive products.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The M6 II and 90D clearly have a newer generation sensor that allows much more flexibility in terms of read out speed.

The 1D X II has a throughput of 320 MP/s. The M6 II does 455 MP/s and thereby beats the Canon flagship easily. The EOS R uses the 5D IV sensor and that's only capable of 210 MP/s apparently.

Video is probably not read at full Bitrate, so not quite comparable. But 1080 120p is 250 MP/s. It's likely that the Bottleneck on the R is the sensor, I think.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2018
This is how it should work
If the customer has a legit complaint then the company listens and makes a change
Kudos to all the canon fans that gave this feedback and kudos to canon for listening and changing course.

I hope the canon trolls shut up and let genuine canon fans continue to give helpful feedback.
Now what are Canon’s plans for the 7d series?!

Promptly responding to customer requests, at least those that can be delivered via F/W updates, is what Fuji has been really successful at. It has periodically released based on customer demands and asks. I have a Fuji setup, but my go to is still Canon and I am glad Canon is finally taking this approach to comply whenever possible. Thanks Canon (and obviously Fuji for showing that this is doable).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Finally! I don’t have this kind of problems with my models but it was just incredibly stupid to cut some customers out for something that is not related to technical feasibility and that could be added so easily! I’m really liking that Canon is starting to work seriously on improving cameras via Software! :)

Ah no. It costs them money to add this. It isn’t about being technically easy or not. But apparently they need to license it. So they probably excluded it cause they were willing to bet that people wouldn’t care enough for it to affect sales. Enough noise made and a rethink means they concluded it would cost them more to not implement it than the money saved because of reduced sales or bad publicity.

It is the same reasoning behind 5GHz frequencies in routers. It isn’t technically harder to have but they have to pay to use it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Actually, I can't recall seeing major reviewers covering the 1.4 firmware update. just rank and file photographers. I could have missed a review depending. One, Polin, commented, but he also said people have to dig in the menu to use eye AF, which means he lacks experience. Other photographers were replying how they can configure without needing to dig in the menu.
was just being sarcastic. I've seen what you've seen

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Or, a much likelier possibility.... They didn't think anyone still used it or cared about it, and yhey were wrong so they put it back in.

Uh huh... I bet their well paid market research team told them this too, huh???

Canon knows better... all other companies are so dumb, why aren’t they hiring market researchers to tell them not to include 24p.... so dumb of Fuji, Sony, etc.

Upvote 0