Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Or, a much likelier possibility.... They didn't think anyone still used it or cared about it, and yhey were wrong so they put it back in.

I tend to agree with this. Perhaps they shouldn't have missed it, but they did. I mean, 30 is better than 24, one would think. But that isn't the case in this circumstance.

As a non-video guy, I'd have missed this one entirely too.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I tend to agree with this. Perhaps they shouldn't have missed it, but they did. I mean, 30 is better than 24, one would think. But that isn't the case in this circumstance.

As a non-video guy, I'd have missed this one entirely too.

I don’t mean this harshly, and you’ve admitted you don’t do video, but 30 is better than 24 like wide angle is better than telephoto. They’re just used for different things - neither is superior, and both are essential to certain applications.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
I don’t mean this harshly, and you’ve admitted you don’t do video, but 30 is better than 24 like wide angle is better than telephoto. They’re just used for different things - neither is superior, and both are essential to certain applications.

Actually a better example would be if Canon put out a statement saying nobody uses anything under f/5.6 so here on end all new lenses will be f/5.6+... now it sounds pretty dumb doesn’t it???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Cool that Canon plans to add this back.

I have been happy with the video quality out of the RP but did miss 24fps when matching the 1080 footage from my R. I got around the 24fps issue by shooting both in 4k but not having DPAF in 4k on the RP limited it to a static shot camera only.

Looking forward to seeing if I can match the footage on both cameras when up-scaling from 1080 to 4k.

This move should put the RP on the radar of all the vloggers that said the camera was dead to them without 24fps. Time will tell if that was just huffing and puffing.

I am just happy to see Canon is committed to updating features and not just fixing "phenomenons"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I would have already spent the money on a m6ii if it has a built in evf. I still want to use my flashes.
This is why many are anticipating the M52. There are many posts and quotes as to how it's not coming but none from Canon themselves, mostly just a misquote on DPR. I don't put it in the same situation as the 7D3.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This is why many are anticipating the M52. There are many posts and quotes as to how it's not coming but none from Canon themselves, mostly just a misquote on DPR. I don't put it in the same situation as the 7D3.

That's why I'm waiting before buying the M6 II. I'm hoping for an M5 II with the viewfinder and flippy screen. If it doesn't happen soon enough, I'll MAKE it happen by giving up and buying an M6 II and keeping it one day past the return period (whatever it may be). At that point the M5 II will be announced.

(Of course nothing says an M5 II would have a flippy screen; if I am not mistaken the M5 (I) has a fixed screen. But it sure seems illogical for such a beastie not to have one when the M50 does have it.)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Good to see them listen to feedback. But still too little too late for me. I'm not investing any more in Canon gear, they are too slow and stingy with features. I'll use my M6 system as a pocket camera for a while longer. By the time the M6 II firmware is out, I'm betting the Sony A7s III will be ready.... which will be my next system. The EOS-R setup will take many years to catch up. Of course I'll watch the development, I have a soft spot in my heart for Canon after years using the 5D models (and analog Canon's before that). Unfortunately, Canon threw in the towel on the video side of small cameras after the 5D2, and Sony and Panasonic stole the show.
My condolences.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
That's why I'm waiting before buying the M6 II. I'm hoping for an M5 II with the viewfinder and flippy screen. If it doesn't happen soon enough, I'll MAKE it happen by giving up and buying an M6 II and keeping it one day past the return period (whatever it may be). At that point the M5 II will be announced.

(Of course nothing says an M5 II would have a flippy screen; if I am not mistaken the M5 (I) has a fixed screen. But it sure seems illogical for such a beastie not to have one when the M50 does have it.)

Maybe the reason for the delay in the 24 fps firmware fix for the M6II is to sync with the development of the M5 replacement. Grasping at straws, but....

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Actually a better example would be if Canon put out a statement saying nobody uses anything under f/5.6 so here on end all new lenses will be f/5.6+... now it sounds pretty dumb doesn’t it???
not really.
Guess all the crybabies can now complain about something else. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Crying got something accomplished. Being a sheep, keeps you a sheep.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon does people a solid that Canon didn't have to do. Then forum members jump up and down saying, "WE did it! We slew the dragon!" SMH. I guess if Canon produces a RF 70-135mm f/2 I can claim credit later. My internet ego fame will be complete. My self importance will be reinforced.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0