Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Ah no. It costs them money to add this. It isn’t about being technically easy or not. But apparently they need to license it. So they probably excluded it cause they were willing to bet that people wouldn’t care enough for it to affect sales. Enough noise made and a rethink means they concluded it would cost them more to not implement it than the money saved because of reduced sales or bad publicity.

It is the same reasoning behind 5GHz frequencies in routers. It isn’t technically harder to have but they have to pay to use it.
Oh, I really didn’t know about that! I remembered that the record limit is 29:59 because they get into a different product category and taxes are different, but I was unaware of 24p requiring some kind of licensing! thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I would have already spent the money on a m6ii if it has a built in evf. I still want to use my flashes.
This. not too worry though. Canon are listening now. Please expect the inbuilt EVF feature to be provided via a firmware update soon **

** -The service will be available from 1st April 2020 as a chargeable upgrade, exclusively via Canon authorised service-centres.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I take this to mean that Canon has a high end APS-C mirrorless in the works for the beginning of 2020, and they don't want to canablise those potential sales.

This could be a 7D with APS-C and RF mount or a M5 II. I'll buy the former :eek:)

(crossing finger)
I'd like that as well but as for nomenclature, if it's RF mount, it will not be a 7D.

Now, as for the M5mk2, that would be a sweet travel body/silent shooter for solemn events etc. I liked my M5 but I'd rather have a Mk2 that I love.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Uh huh... I bet their well paid market research team told them this too, huh???

Canon knows better... all other companies are so dumb, why aren’t they hiring market researchers to tell them not to include 24p.... so dumb of Fuji, Sony, etc.
They are on the top of the sales charts, and have been there for many years. This means that they are usually right. That said, it looks like this time they were wrong, and then took steps to correct the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Although this particular feature wasn't a dealbreaker for me, it did put my friend and work colleague on the fence re: updating his 70D (since he uses kit mainly for video, and for him 25p was important and necessary as an option). This definitely swayed him to go ahead with the upgrade.

For myself, I'm finally ordering my 90D this coming weekend, as well as the 100mm Macro and the Tamron 18-400mm (to go along with my 70-200mm f/2.8 L, my Nifty-50, the kit lenses from my old Rebel (EF-S 18-55 and EF-S 55-250), and a used 16-35mm f/4 L that I'm buying used from a fellow pro photographer this coming Saturday.

I'll then take my new gear for a spin at Aussie Nationals (the huge, annual dog competition: agility, herding, obedience, conformation, etc.) in Bakersfield, CA the first weekend of November.

I'm stoked! :cool:

As an aside... I'm debating whether it's worthwhile to upgrade my 50mm to the 85mm. Also, the guy I'm buying the used 16-35 is thinking about also selling his 24-105 F/4 L IS. Any thoughts on either of those two lenses, and whether they should be a necessary part of my arsenal?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
There’s no 1:1 4K crop mode on the 90D. It’s 3:2. And the reason the M6II doesn’t have it is almost 100% certainly thermal concerns. According to Gordon Laing the 90D can shoot uncropped 4K about 6*30min without pausing to cool down, but cropped 4K only a bit over 30 min at a time. Meanwhile the M6II with its lesser heat rejection capacity could only record about 45 min of (uncropped) 4K before shutting down.
Can you give me the math as to how the crop mode is not 1:1 and is 3:2? Because I am veryyyyy interested you see how you came to that conclusion. I mean you did do your own calculations right? you didn’t just hear that off some random forum?

Upvote 0
I take this to mean that Canon has a high end APS-C mirrorless in the works for the beginning of 2020, and they don't want to canablise those potential sales.
Yeah. Adding 24p via firmware update definitely means Canon had a high-end mirrorless crop camera for the beginning of 2020, no later than the 2nd of February. Irrefutable logical conclusion it is.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Although this particular feature wasn't a dealbreaker for me, it did put my friend and work colleague on the fence re: updating his 70D (since he uses kit mainly for video, and for him 25p was important and necessary as an option). This definitely swayed him to go ahead with the upgrade.

For myself, I'm finally ordering my 90D this coming weekend, as well as the 100mm Macro and the Tamron 18-400mm (to go along with my 70-200mm f/2.8 L, my Nifty-50, the kit lenses from my old Rebel (EF-S 18-55 and EF-S 55-250), and a used 16-35mm f/4 L that I'm buying used from a fellow pro photographer this coming Saturday.

I'll then take my new gear for a spin at Aussie Nationals (the huge, annual dog competition: agility, herding, obedience, conformation, etc.) in Bakersfield, CA the first weekend of November.

I'm stoked! :cool:

As an aside... I'm debating whether it's worthwhile to upgrade my 50mm to the 85mm. Also, the guy I'm buying the used 16-35 is thinking about also selling his 24-105 F/4 L IS. Any thoughts on either of those two lenses, and whether they should be a necessary part of my arsenal?

Gotta say how much I hope you return and post photos of all those dogs.

Upvote 0
Gotta say how much I hope you return and post photos of all those dogs.
There are a few still on my old Flickr page. Just go to the link in my signature (below), click on the "Portfolio" album and scroll through. That gives you a general idea of what I've been shooting over the last 5-½ years with the T3i (including some agility dogs, as well as shots of my own dogs). :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Crying got something accomplished. Being a sheep, keeps you a sheep.
Did it? How do you know that this is a response to the “crybabies” and not a response to internal auditing and sales estimating wrapped up in a ‘look what we are doing for our customers’ pitch?

You have absolutely no first hand knowledge on why Canon have made this move, just marketing one way or another.

Nothing wrong with being a sheep either...

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Did it? How do you know that this is a response to the “crybabies” and not a response to internal auditing and sales estimating wrapped up in a ‘look what we are doing for our customers’ pitch?

You have absolutely no first hand knowledge on why Canon have made this move, just marketing one way or another.

Nothing wrong with being a sheep either...
Well, Canon explains in its announcement why it is doing firmware upgrades to put 24fps in the new cameras. They did it because customers made it clear that they wanted it and were unhappy that the new cameras didn't have it. Canon told the world why it made this move. Seems like pretty convincing evidence of why to me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, Canon explains in its announcement why it is doing firmware upgrades to put 24fps in the new cameras. They did it because customers made it clear that they wanted it and were unhappy that the new cameras didn't have it. Canon told the world why it made this move. Seems like pretty convincing evidence of why to me.
Oh dear, really? What makes you think for one second the marketing department, who put that out, are telling the truth?

If they were doing it because it is having to big a negative impact on sales do you think they would say “yes we screwed up and underestimated the cost in sales this would cause so we are biting the bullet and putting it in. We realize if we didn't do it to the cameras already sold but did it for the new cameras to be sold we would cause irreparable harm to our reputation” ?

Personally as a sign of benevolence to the customers who’s money they already have I find it unbelievable. As a way of driving new sales whilst coincidentally making people feel good about their previous purchase I find much more plausible.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Oh, I really didn’t know about that! I remembered that the record limit is 29:59 because they get into a different product category and taxes are different, but I was unaware of 24p requiring some kind of licensing! thanks for the info!

I don't know who started this rumor, but there's no way that 24p requires any specific licencing. There's lots of things in a camera that need licencing in order to record video, but reducing your framerate from 25p to 24p isn't one of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Oh dear, really? What makes you think for one second the marketing department, who put that out, are telling the truth?

If they were doing it because it is having to big a negative impact on sales do you think they would say “yes we screwed up and underestimated the cost in sales this would cause so we are biting the bullet and putting it in. We realize if we didn't do it to the cameras already sold but did it for the new cameras to be sold we would cause irreparable harm to our reputation” ?

Personally as a sign of benevolence to the customers who’s money they already have I find it unbelievable. As a way of driving new sales whilst coincidentally making people feel good about their previous purchase I find much more plausible.

I think it's far more likely that they genuinely thought no-one would ever use 24p on a low end camera. And I'm still convinced 90% of the people complaining about the lack of 24p would never use it anyway (or would never have bought one of the affected cameras.)

Having said that - if the 90D is truly meant to be a 7D II replacement then I can understand people being upset about no 24p. But on a Powershot? Really???

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0