Canon to announce an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS (Defocus Smoothing)

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That's rad! Haha, it's kind of fun when your own experience with a lens is strangely better than other people's.

Yeah, when I finally invest in the R ecosystem, I would love to shoot with higher end glass. I'm especially drooling over the prospect of getting a killer RF 85mm 1.2L, like either of those mentioned here, and an RF 24mm 1.4L (dare they make one?) or an RF 35mm 1.4L. Then again, if the Holy Trinity glass is sharp enough, I may need to join the zoom shooters . . .
They have an RF 24mm f/1.2L in the works according to the rumor. So no f/1.4 ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
You are right, there will be no RF bodies, RF is reserved for lenses.
But surely there are, and will be, RF-mount bodies ... As I understand it, the R (as in the EOS R) is just the name of a particular camera model which has kicked off a new branch of the EOS system, with that branch (both bodies and lenses) using the RF-mount.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
But surely there are, and will be, RF-mount bodies ... As I understand it, the R (as in the EOS R) is just the name of a particular camera model which has kicked off a new branch of the EOS system, with that branch (both bodies and lenses) using the RF-mount.

Yes, they were definitely joking in saying that there would be no RF bodies ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
"Canon Rumors" ... Canon Fanboi Forums, where no criticism of Canon will be tolerated
Not true. Cavalier criticism and Sony fanboyism is the problem. Unwarranted hissy fits are the problem. Irrational/cynical
comments that appear to forget about what is on the horizon and acting like what is here today is all there will be. That's the problem. That, and apparently forgetting there is also an R, not just an RP. That a pro body will be here by year's end.
Two more giant, heavy, ultra expensive lenses to put on the cheapest, lightest FF camera on the market. Yippy

BTW: Some of us will mount those ultra expensive and heavy lenses to an RP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
That, and apparently forgetting there is also an R, not just an RP. That a pro body will be here by year's end.

I don't remember reading any convincing rumors about a pro body by year's end. Are you referring to the high MP body? In that case, I think we were all in the dark about what features it would have besides a high MP sensor, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

That sounds... heavier and more expensive than really necessary

Come on, live a little! ;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
"Canon Rumors" ... Canon Fanboi Forums, where no criticism of Canon will be tolerated

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you...;), but I can't stand this continuous whining about whatever Canon produces any longer.
This is not a Canon - bashing forum, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is certainly welcome, yet!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
hmm would be nice if canon prints little lens test pattern inside lens cap ,everyone would have then equal tool to test their lens copy quality . everyone takes pic from it from 2meter away and compares 100% crops.
Or it would be nice if people just took and shared photos. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not true. I read here regularly complaints about cropped 4K video and "I quit and go for Sony" alike comments, which aren't censored by the nice admins running this site - kudos and a big thank you to them btw. But it is a relatively trolling free zone, what you may miss. If you need that, I recommend to visit DPR, but never ever do criticize Sony products there! Or do it, if you love to stir a real shit storm :devilish:

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Hope Canon would develop a "RF 105mm f/1,2L DS" and maybe "135mm f/1,2L DS"
Like the Nikkor AF-DC 105mm and 135mm
Good idea, in particular the 135mm would be a great light and compact successor to the famous EF 135 mm f/2. The EF 400mm f/4 DO II proves that Canon has a really mature diffraction optics lens technology now.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Probably for the same reason I would.

Lighter bodies
Heavier lenses

While impressive there's very few lightweight RF lenses. In fact so far there's the 35mm 1.8 and just a 24-240 on the horizon.

Granted, the RF24-105 is cheap and suitable for a lot.
I think Canon wants first to show off and make clear that they are very serious with their R system. As others here I am pretty confident that we'll see soon more lighter, smaller lenses (zooms) that aren't that fast for the RF mount. The RP is already a hint that Canon makes a move into a more consumer oriented market segment.

Btw with heavy lenses you always should keep in mind, that Canon helps you to train your physis - for free ;). When I take e.g. my heavy EF 500mm lens out for birding I regard it always as a photography-sports combo. It is capable of delivering beautiful images while using it freehand as a sort of dumbbell - a classic dumbbell can't do that, so it is really dumb :devilish:.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0