Canon to announce RF mount cinema lenses alongside the Cinema EOS C300S and Cinema EOS C500S

So are these cameras FF or S35? If S35 I assume so are the lenses. Yes?
The C300S will be S35 while the C500S will be full-frame. It's the main differentiator between the current ones recently released.

The lenses will definitely be FF to allow them to be used on both sensor sizes.

Based on the current rumor, it looks like the new stacked sensor design off-sets the smaller pixel pitch resulting from the increase resolution to 8K. So it looks like you gain 8K resolution with the same DR as the current new C300 MIII DGO sensor. Although we'l have to see how the noise turns out, given the higher resolution.

The rumored C700 replacement looks killer though, combining the best of everything: FF, new stacked DGO sensor design, and keeping the resolution at a sensible 4K, resulting in an even larger pixel pitch than the current C300 MIII/C500 MII, hence the rumored 20+ DR rating. It's possible, but let's see it first.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Spoken like someone who doesn’t own any Canon cine cameras. LOL. Fixing bugs isn’t a huge ask for a $20k camera system. C300&C500 have MAJOR issues that Canon refuses to fix, is this the “famous” service you speak of? They’re just going to release a new camera system?
The market is very very small. I don’t know where you’re getting your info from, it’s totally 100% at odds with the entire film industry.
I'm curious... what are the main issues of the current cameras that you think need fixing?

This is coming from a current C300 MIII owner. Having owned the MII, I think the current camera fixed practically all the shortcomings of the previous generation, in addition to adding a lot more.

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
I‘d rather see 114. It’s pretty standard, plus both sets of their existing primes(CN-E & Sumire’s), compact zooms and handheld cine-zooms(17-120 & 25-250) are 114mm. And from a completely selfish standpoint, it’s perfect for me, considering I already own a full set of CN-E primes and a 17-120, so four of my five matte boxes have step-down rings to 114 or are native 114mm.

I don’t really see trying to go down to a 95mm front diameter being that beneficial and especially not inside the already existing Canon ecosystem. It’s actually one of the few complaints I have about the Sigma Cine Primes. I was going to supplement my Canon’s with one of the Sigma’s and the 95mm front was going to make ”just one more thing” I was going to have to deal with and buy more accessories to handle.

Of course, if you are already starting with 95mm or are starting from scratch, you have a different perspective.

Ah, you're right. Really makes sense if coming from a canon cine gear background. Almost all my lenses are 95mm OD (and a few 80mm) and i really like hte small form factor it gives, dont mind using donuts :) But didn't realize CNE/Sumire are 114mm, really nor reason to change that then, agree with you. But I won't complain if they slim it down a bit!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Legit, but wouldn't portrait photographers, as example, like that cinema look as well?
No. Portrait photographers need controlled bokeh and fast AF. Lens flares are kept to a minimum and size needs to fit handheld. Elements are kept small to be easily moved with stabilizing motors.

Cinema lens properties are designed around how actors look in motion. Cinema lenses have slightly more depth so focus pullers can land their marks while the design is controlling vignetting, flaring, and contrast. Think of the classic panning image in cinema where a lens flare makes a perfect diagonal through the image. You would never want that in portraiture around flashes or light-boxes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
Spoken like someone who doesn’t own any Canon cine cameras. LOL. Fixing bugs isn’t a huge ask for a $20k camera system. C300&C500 have MAJOR issues that Canon refuses to fix, is this the “famous” service you speak of? They’re just going to release a new camera system?
The market is very very small. I don’t know where you’re getting your info from, it’s totally 100% at odds with the entire film industry.
mmmm. I own multiple Canon Cinema cameras and have a 100% different experience than you. Maybe I'm just fortunate but over the last 7 years of Canon Cinema ownership and filming in multiple countries I have had nothing but amazing service every time I have needed it. Sure I pay a premium for having the CPS membership but it pays for itself in my opinion.

Even just last week had a camera and lens smashed on set and had them sent in (rush FEDEX shipping there and back paid for by Canon as part of my CPS and Cinepak) rush reparied and turned around as good as new within 72 hours. I own the C300II, C70, C500, C300, C100 and C200 and have zero issues with those cameras. But I might just have a really different use case scenario. I'm definitely not a fan of the RAW files from the C300II, but what other major issues have you had? Are you referring to the original C300 or the new C300III? Actually curious what the bugs are you are referring to.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, no matter what the subject, @privatebydesign has no idea what he's talking about. I've blocked people for being rude but he's the first guy on this forum I've considered blocking just because they're so dumb.
And yet my comment got 10 11 likes, rontele7's got one. If I'm dumb then there are 10 times more people that agree with me, go figure.

Also he was asked directly what issues he has with the C300 by a C300 II/III owner but he never replied.

Oh, and people with personal experience of the great Canon service gave specific examples...

There are not widely reported issues with the C300 and C500, it doesn't take an owner to do that search. The C300II is a $7,000 camera (not $15-20k) and received a firmware update less than six months ago even though it has been superseded by the MkIII, an $11,000 camera.

I'm fine with people not liking me, but tell me where I am saying things that are incorrect?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
Will these lenses be able to use Eye AF and tracking? if so it would be crazy!
That’d be an interesting addition for solo operators but what would be more amazing is to have that focus data spit out to be able to be interpreted by various focus motor systems even on a tap to focus basis.

As long as the camera themselves are RF mount then for me it’s all golden because pretty much any lens in the world can be adapted to it at that point.

But really my number one request would be to add anamorphics to the line-up. I think Canon, and potentially Sony, are the only lens companies in the world who would be able to craft an affordable medium high-end anamorphic. Maybe also Rokinon but as much as I like those lenses I still think because of scale they’d have a higher price point.

I like what Atlas and a couple of other newer players are doing, but to have a company that has the service capabilities of Canon would be a major value add. Of course there are also the $50,000 - $200,000 options but that’s ridiculously beyond my price point

Upvote 0